User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 2:02:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, I made my decision today. I picked the place with the nicest and safest facility (has alot of other perks too) for a reasonable price. But, I've restricted myself even further than the 5 round limit. This place is 5 rounds for pistol and only single rounds in rifles. Pretty lame I know, but I guess I can single load through the ejection port. Or it's a good excuse to own 30-40 magazines! J
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 3:27:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Recon,
Where do you live in MA??  I know of a half dozen ranges off the tope of my head who don't have a 5 round limit.  In fact, I don't know of any who do have a 5 round limit!!  Drop me an IM if you'd like more details.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 7:33:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Man, you all need to move out here to Michigan... Last week while I was out at the range... there was a guy there crankin' of a .50 BMG right at the 100 yard range.  I know shooting a .50 at 100 yrds is kinda like using hand gernades as firecrackers on the forth, but man it was cool.  (Really cool when he broke out the API ammo, it looked like someone had stuck flares in the burm.  Even cooler when he let ME shoot it.... MAN I LOVE AMERICA!!!!)
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 8:17:48 PM EDT
[#4]
i work at an indoor range that has no limits on mag capacity, rapid fire/full-auto, etc...
as a range officer i can say that magazine capacity has nothing to do with range safety:  an idiot is going to do idiotic (unsafe) things with ANY gun.  today i had some gang-banger looking guys rapid firing 30round mags from the hip thru their SKS and keeping their shots on the paper.  we also had an ar15 gear queer shoot one of the target carriers down (actually, that happened twice).  first time shooters putting their thumbs behind the slides are common.  90 year old dinosaurs wandering the range with guns in their hands ("but its unloaded")...  all kinds of fun stuff. i could go ON and ON....
magazine limits at ranges are more outrageous than magazine limits and assault weapons bans in federal law, and we really shouldn't put up with any of it.  boycott those ranges ASAP.  if there are no other ranges in your area...MOVE!  
read straightshooters last post above mine...and i moved here FROM michigan because gun laws here were better!

Link Posted: 10/4/2003 8:35:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I guess this why the NRA is headquarted in the Commonwealth of Virginia... no loading limits that I ever heard of here in VA... and I live and go to several ranges (including the NRA range)in the Northern VA area. All the ranges I visit allow class 3 too, although a couple, including the NRA have 3 or 5 round burst limits. Some ranges also ask that you declare your class 3 weapons just so they know who has them... If they don't know you they will ask to see the tax/BATF docs to make sure that it's all legal.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 8:59:17 PM EDT
[#6]
The very reason I drive 45 minutes into the desert. I can shoot alone and how ever I feel necessary.
I love Arizona!
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 10:21:13 PM EDT
[#7]
To the guys above from massachusetts I go to braintree rifle and pistol club.They have a 10 round limit but you can load to 30 if you take a few seconds in between 10 shot strings,Great club with great people.Holbrook on the other hand has a 200yd range and you can shoot shotgun pistol and rifle on same range and transistion from different weapons where as braintree has seperate ranges for different class weapons,Holbrook though is mainly trap shooters and the get weird when you show up with a BLACK RIFLE or military lookalikes..they come down and watch you shoot,never say high except to critisize.Go to braintree a better club with real friendly people.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 10:42:33 PM EDT
[#8]
I belong to a local range in CT.  It's only open on weekends, costs $25 a year, and has no limitations except full auto.  I've never heard of limiting ammo like that.  It's a damn shame how god given freedoms can be limited through irrational politics.  Every day a liberal turns some right into a priveledge and then revokes the priveledge the following week.  Sorry for the rant, just aggrevated and had to throw my .02 in there. Be safe and God Bless All!
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 12:04:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Mag limits would both suck and blow.
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 1:37:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Wow! I didn't have any idea some ranges had all these restrictions. Makes me appreciate Knob Creek even more. You can shoot whatever you want. The Range Officers out there are great too. They are focused on safety and remind shooters to clear chambers, open bolts and not handle their weapons during a clear.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 5:07:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted: I am happy with the 3-shot limit
View Quote

YOU CAN'T POSSIBLY BE SERIOUS!!!
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 6:23:08 AM EDT
[#12]
My experience at PA range:

I am a complete newbie and actually went to a range (in eastern PA) for the FIRST time last week.  The 3 round limit is the rule only for the PA state gameland ranges (which are free).  With a little research I found a range within 30 minutes of North West suburbs that had 100, 200, 400, 500 yd, no limit on magazines, open to public, $10 shoot all day.  Some guy was even blasting away with a .50 cal. (That thing was LOUD)

We brought an SAR-1(AK) (can't afford and AR, YET!) and everybody was very nice and VERY helpful.  We didn't realize you needed a staple gun to hang your targets (yes, VERY NEWBIE), so we had to keep asking to borrow one.

After a while a guy showed up with an M4 (who was SUPER nice) and let us shoot off a mag with the M4.  (from a newbie perspective, the difference between a bare-bones $350 AK and a soupped up $2300 AR is unbelievable).

I guess my point is that there are good ranges in PA.  You just have to look.  (at least i thought it was pretty good, but I don't have anything to compare it to)
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 7:06:34 AM EDT
[#13]
I ended up changing my mind this morning after going to the new member meeting. The single round limit really set me off. And the real deal breaker was finding out that the biggest reason for the single round limit on centerfire rifles was because all the old timers of the club only use single round bolt action rifles, so they feel that should be the load limit. I also found out that the single round load limit on rifles is ONLY for centerfire rifles. .22 rimfire can have 5 loads like the pistols. Ridiculous!
Model927, thanks for the suggestion of Braintree. I haven't checked it out yet. I have been to Holbrook, my fiance's father is a member there. Not a bad place, outdoor range seems a bit disorganized, but their limit is 5 rounds. Now I'm not sure. Damnit!! J
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 8:10:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
My experience at PA range:

I am a complete newbie and actually went to a range (in eastern PA) for the FIRST time last week.  The 3 round limit is the rule only for the PA state gameland ranges (which are free).  With a little research I found a range within 30 minutes of North West suburbs that had 100, 200, 400, 500 yd, no limit on magazines, open to public, $10 shoot all day.  Some guy was even blasting away with a .50 cal. (That thing was LOUD)

View Quote

[b] If you don't mind letting your secret out . Share the name of this place . It would be much appreciated . If need be feel free to IM it to . I'll keep your secret. [lol]

SaFe ShOoTiNg
Jerry [):)][/b]
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 11:09:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Our one state run range in Colorado (Cherry Creek - contractor run) has a 5 round limit on rifle, but NO limit on pistol range.  Rifle range is small bore - pistol range is any caliber you want.  So, when I take the Thompson out, I can use the 30 round mags at full capacity.  Also prohibited on the pistol range are any targets depicting any representation of hands and head (ergo, no sillouettes).  Talk about politically correct range Nazis!

Then again, this is the same place that last week rented a pistol to a woman who ended up shooting (and killing) herself on the firing line.  Politically correct Range Nazis not paying attention!
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 11:25:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Nocamixon state range has a 3 round rifle and pistol rule. Yuck! Another range I sometimes go to has no capacity restrictions, but no semi auto centerfire rifles. The range I usually go to Classic Pistol has no capacity restrictions, but no rapid fire. I can live with that to an extent. Up the Poconos a range called Sunset Hill has no capacity restrictions, but rapid fire is limited to 3 round bursts. After no rapid fire for a while I welcome that!
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 12:44:01 PM EDT
[#17]
The only limitation at the range where I shoot is,
Class 3 is only permited on the plinking range.

Quite reasonable!
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 1:18:50 PM EDT
[#18]
You guys are lucky. There are no rifle ranges where I live and none within 2 hours driving distance.

CRC
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 1:23:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
You guys are lucky. There are no rifle ranges where I live and none within 2 hours driving distance.

CRC
View Quote

Where do you live CRC?  If you don't mind me asking.

Mr. L.
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 3:12:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Well thanks to Janosk and Model927, I'm going to join The Braintree Rifle and Pistol club. Ranges are decent and their capacity limit is 10 rounds. By far the best I've found so far, so they get my money. Ahhh, the joys of living in Mass. J
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 4:17:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Now I know why all you guys are comming South to Georgia. No limits lock and load,
Fire at Will

Anna
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 4:58:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

CRC
View Quote

Where do you live CRC?  If you don't mind me asking.

Mr. L.
View Quote

Way back in the Appalachian Mountains at about 2400 feet in elevation.

CRC
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 6:15:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

CRC
View Quote

Sounds very cool!
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 6:27:12 PM EDT
[#24]
We have the "Pit" in Lapeer. 130 some yards of unregulated state land. Rapid fire,bumping, class 3 tannerite anything goes. Exploding propane tanks whatever. I'm sure you could get away with a LAW rocket is no one was there but you.

When I want to sit down a shoot nice little groups we have the DNR ranges with plenty of range nazis. 6 rounds in the mag. 1 round every 3 seconds.
Does'nt bother me when I'm precision shooting or trying to save money/ammo.
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 6:45:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
There's a range by me that, during hunting season, allows only sinlge rounds loaded at a time.
View Quote
Vinnie, there's one like that near Peekskill NY. Never been there because of the single round rule.
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 8:18:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

CRC
View Quote

Sounds very cool!
View Quote

My valley is ringed with mountains up to 4400 feet high HOWEVER there are a lot anti-gunners moving back in here too. There really isn't any place to shoot as all land is private and posted. Sounds good but isn't.

CRC
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 10:35:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Actually Tshonka you are exactly the type of person who has ruined the NRA and turned them into a buch of comprimsing pussies.

I would say you are worse than a supporter of banning guns as you pretend to be our friend while passing rules that you deem to be in the best interest of gun owners.

I want the anti-gunners to cower in fear of our gun owners and you want to just get along with them.

I say screw you and your capacity ban. You don't trust your fellow gun owners to act safely you are the worst enemy thier is to the gun owner.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 4:33:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Our range here in eastern PA has a 3-shot limit.  Reason?  Too many fools bring their girlfriends to the range, strike a heroic pose with their AR's or AK's, then blaze away as fast as possible downrange.  It doesn't matter to them if they hit the target, the wood target butts, or someone else.  All they want to do is impress their (equally dumb) girlfriends.  I am happy with the 3-shot limit, and enforce it, when I'm rangemaster.  
View Quote

If they are dangerous and stupid and foolish with 30 in the mag than they are dangerous and stupid and foolish with 3 in the mag. A bozo is a bozo.

If 3 magically makes everyone safer at your range let me know where it is so I can give it a wide berth because clearly you, nor your club board, understand the rudiments of gun safety.

At our club in NH class III is allowed one Sunday a month and there are no capacity limits. Fast and as much as you want and never had a problem.

"Heros striking poses" like yours that can't hit the berm get expelled from the club every year. That is how we keep it safe, by getting rid of the bozos.

Slowworm.

Link Posted: 10/6/2003 5:48:30 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Our range here in eastern PA has a 3-shot limit.  Reason?  Too many fools bring their girlfriends to the range, strike a heroic pose with their AR's or AK's, then blaze away as fast as possible downrange.  It doesn't matter to them if they hit the target, the wood target butts, or someone else.  All they want to do is impress their (equally dumb) girlfriends.  I am happy with the 3-shot limit, and enforce it, when I'm rangemaster.  
View Quote

If they are dangerous and stupid and foolish with 30 in the mag than they are dangerous and stupid and foolish with 3 in the mag. A bozo is a bozo.

If 3 magically makes everyone safer at your range let me know where it is so I can give it a wide berth because clearly you, nor your club board, understand the rudiments of gun safety.

At our club in NH class III is allowed one Sunday a month and there are no capacity limits. Fast and as much as you want and never had a problem.

"Heros striking poses" like yours that can't hit the berm get expelled from the club every year. That is how we keep it safe, by getting rid of the bozos.

Slowworm.

View Quote

Well Said!!!

Safety and security are, of course, important. We all need to find that balance between security and liberty that seems right for us. However, while some of us thirst for freedom, other cowardly individuals need to be tucked in at night! Which are you Tashonka1?
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 8:37:23 AM EDT
[#30]
The range I belong to in PA has no limit on rnds, but does not allow rapid fire. (Their reasoning for no RF, there is a gas line running under the range; there are those little white plastic marker posts running across the range!).

When in college I went to a PA state game land range all the time, but never knew there was a 3 round rifle and 6 round pistol limit.  One day after dumping a 12 round 9mm mag I must have alerted the local state gamey police.  I was cleaning up when two officers hopped out of their vehicle.  One went to the wooden poster board while the other officer approached me.  While one of the officers questioned me the other one stapled something to the board.  The cop made it seem like I had committed a capital offense.  He told me I was going to be fined $100 and I would receive it in the mail in about a week.  When they left I went over to the board and saw the other officer had stapled range rules up that clearly stated the 6 round pistol limit.  It had not been there when I started to shoot.  I never received the citation in the mail.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 2:31:25 PM EDT
[#31]
well said SlowWorm. I wish I had thought of that.

I just get so pissed when supposed pro-gunners try to apply thier gun rules and beliefs onto others.

Link Posted: 10/6/2003 2:34:39 PM EDT
[#32]
The free state park range by my house has a three round limit and no auto fire.  It used to be a class III with no mag limit.  But, I was told that it was getting so busy on the weekends that people were posting targets on the target holder posts and every monday the target holders were too shot up to use.  
But, hey it's free.  The [url=www.targetworldinc.com]indoor range[/url] near me is about $120-$180 a year but they allow Class III weapons and no mag limitations.

Krackels
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 4:01:27 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Lately I've been checking out all the local shooting ranges to see where I'll join. And one common thing I've come across here in Massachusetts at every range I've contacted so far, is a 5 round load limit (can't have more than 5 rounds loaded in any magazine at any time). Makes me wonder why I started to collect 30rd magazines when I can't even fill them to empty them at the range. Do any other members from other states have this limit as well? Or is this just another great 'perk' of living in Mass?
View Quote

My local rifle range tried to restrict magazines to 10rd or less and absolutely no .50 cal bolt guns. After some heated discussion it turned out that a "committee of two" benchrest shooters had approved the new rules. Not. Now we have an acoustic barrier for the .50 shooters and a nice request posted to limit strings. If you want to empty magazines we have a "plinking range" where there are no rules about what you shoot or how you shoot it.
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 6:15:28 AM EDT
[#34]
wow, sorry to hear that guys.

anthing goes at my range as long as you let the ranger fire a couple when he asks to.

and its FREE!!
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 7:06:52 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
the one i shoot at is 3 for rifle, 6 for handgun
View Quote

Same here but it's out at the state game lands. Very nice range and it's free. If I want to do some serious blasting, I just lock the Ford in 4wd and go find a nice isolated spot deep in the woods. I've found a place with some old burnt cars I make into swiss cheese especially w/ the AK
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 8:00:31 AM EDT
[#36]
The 2 ranges I go to, don't care what you do as long as you follow the safety rules. The only rule that one has is when YOUR brass hits the floor, its the ranges brass, unless you specfically ask to pick your brass up. Not a big deal for me since I don't reload, but it still irks me.
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 9:44:43 AM EDT
[#37]
No

Shabo
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top