Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2003 12:24:59 PM EDT
There are many reasons to love your AR-15. Low recoil, accurate, tons of part available to customize it.  But the main reason that I love my AR is because of the connection with the brave men that used it during the VietNam conflict.  Watching movies like Platoon, Full Metal Jacket or Hamburger Hill and having my AR next to me helps to link me with the courage that our service men had when they fought and died in that damn war.  My heart goes out to each and every one of them and owning a weapon that  they had to hump when they went into indian country helps bring me closer to each and every one of them.  Sometimes my wife asks me why I watch such movies, I think it's because someone has to remember the sacrifice that they made.  As the song says.  "All gave some and some gave all".  God bless our VietNam vets and thanks.  Talk to ya' later.  TN.Frank
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 2:28:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I can't say I "love" my rifles. In fact I really hated ARs/M-16s at 1st (BLASPHEMY)!!! I bought into the hype of the disgruntled who were armed with them in the service. I was an AK fan, then I learned some more. I became an HK fanatic & always favored the M-14. If there was one positive outlook of the importation ban it was that the (now)unaffordable German weapons forced me to seek American for a QUALITY rifle. I learned about the AR, its limitations & its strengths. I learned to accept the weapon and then embrace it wholeheartedly. The AR is like we are. It has personality amidst a sea of others like it. ARs are the ONLY rifle ever made that can be tailored to the users needs with ease. The modular simplicity of the upper & the lower is unparalleled. The built in concession(s) for left-handed shooters is something to be thankful for as well. Finally it's durability through 3 wars & thousands of actions/incidents lends piece of mind to the reliability of the MODERN AR/M-16. Now I laugh at the (new) German weapons and think to myself  about the task of replacing this weapon in the next few years/deacades: "good luck!"
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 3:33:48 PM EDT
[#2]
My heart is with you TN. Frank. I love my AR for many reasons. First is the way it shoots. The first time I shot it I fell in love with it. But just like you, I fell in love with it a little more every time I learned something new about it. I still pop in movies every Saturday night that I know have the M-16 in it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 4:56:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I love my AR for the same reasons as you. It is "OUR COUNTRY'S" rifle.  I shot it semi and full auto in the Air Force back in the 70's.
I like it's light weight, accuracy, reliability, ease of maintanence, cheap ammo, easy access of parts and how much "shit" you can add to make your AR your personal creation.  DAMN............. need I say more?  I LOVE THE USofA!!!!

[beer] [beer] [beer]
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 5:08:59 PM EDT
[#4]
I love my AR's for all the reasons you guys have mentioned above, plus the fact that it served me well in the military, and I think I love them most of all because there are so many people out there who don't want me to have them. They are a symbol of our personal freedom as well as our countries.
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 6:18:36 PM EDT
[#5]
For all the reasons above.Im with you guys.I have to tell you way back when I swore I would never own one  mostly because of the problems you hear about from vietnam.But as I saw for myself the newer A2 was not the same weapon of vietnam,Now I have 3 and I got rid of my beloved M14 for some of the same reasons the army did.To heavy,harder to service and way to heavy to carry a compareable ammo supply to the 16.11 years later I still love em.
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 7:33:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Ok.... my short, but to the point answer.

The feeling of power and security it gives me, when I hold it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 9:15:55 PM EDT
[#7]
In Ancient Rome, the Roman Legions were renowned for their discipline and fighting skill with the Gladius (Roman short sword). After conquering most of the known world and serving Rome faithfully for many years, on retirement, Legionnaires were usually given a plot of land, a pension, and they were allowed to keep their trusty Gladius, as a sign of honor and to defend their holding.

In my mind, the M16s I served with in the US Army were like the swords the Legionnaires fought with, state of the art in their day - the M16 is the sword of our age.
I have always felt our military should present retiring soldiers with a weapon like the one they served with as a reward for years of faithful service.

Of course, this does not happen. But in owning my AR15, with which I am intimately familiar, I feel like I have kept my "sword" after serving my country honorably. This is why I love my AR15, and why I believe it in turn still serves me well.

DR
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 9:55:41 PM EDT
[#8]
[img]http://prodtn.cafepress.com/1/3378571_F_tn.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 10:14:40 PM EDT
[#9]
I love my AR, but hate cleaning the SOB!

locking lug area
bolt carrier

Both a PITA to clean!

I've had either an AR or M16 since 1984 and have cleaned one thousands of times...still sux everytime  [:)]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top