Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/13/2003 7:53:47 AM EDT
If a person was to only fire about 20 rounds through his AR in one day (at squirrels, etc.), is it really necessary to clean the whole rifle?  I can understand giveing it a good cleaning after 50 or so rounds but if the amount fired is nominal, will waiting until more rounds have been fired hurt the gun any?  By the way, the ammo tat has been fired was Q3131A if it matters.  Thanks for the advice.
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 8:48:19 AM EDT
[#1]
I know I probably go over board but I clean my gun every time I shoot it, 1 round or 100 it doesn't matter.  Heck, how long does it take to wipe down the bolt and spray alittle lube on it, run a bore brush thru the bore for 10 swipes then a couple of patches.  You don't have to strip down the entire rifle just wipe it down and clean the bore, that way you'll know for darn sure it's clean the next time you go shooting.  Talk at ya' ll later.  TN.Frank
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 8:55:46 AM EDT
[#2]
I would, but I'm anal about having the cleanest guns in the world!! [:D]
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 9:22:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Think of it this way. You shot 15 to 20 rounds last weekend and didn't clean it. The next time you can shoot is a couple of weeks later, and you only fire a mag through it. Just a quick swab and into the locker/safe/closet. If you keep this pattern up you will forget how many rounds have been fired and when it was last thoroughly cleaned. Now you have a rifle with a buildup of grime, now it isn't fun to shoot any more because of FTE, FTF, and jams, as well as being able to hit what you are shooting at. And in the case of SHTF, your trusty rifle isn't any more.

Judging from the posts on this board, almost everyone is anal about cleaning their weapons after each shoot. Some prefer using bore snakes and similar, while others use the traditional method of bore brush and cleaner. But they all do a thorough job of cleaning at the first chance they get.

Your choice.
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 3:48:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Personally, if I were going to shoot it again in a few days, I wouldn’t bother (unless it got wet or such).  I just wouldn’t let it set several weeks like that.

I’m assuming you’ve got a chrome plated bore.  If not (unless the barrel’s stainless), then cleaning it is probably a good idea.

I’m also assuming it’s not a personal defense weapon.  If it is, it needs to be cleaned before you go to bed!!

AR’s are derived from military M16’s and don’t need to be pampered.  OTOH, as much as they cost, there’s certainly nothing wrong with pampering them!!  [:D]
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 7:43:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Yeah I ended up waiting a day and the rounds fired went from 10 to 90, so I decided to clean it.  But I agree with 199 in that a day or two sitting after a low fire count (up to 20) shouldn't hurt it too much, as long as you remembered to clean it.  Thanks for the opinions guys.
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 8:59:51 AM EDT
[#6]
One time something came up and I didn't have time to clean my AR after 400 rounds of lake city M193 in a day at the range, didn't get to it for about a month. The encrusted carbon was so hard, I had to soak the bolt carrier in Hoppes gun bore solvent for a few hours. Got it spotless again, but never again!
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 12:19:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I prefer obsessive-compulsive as opposed to anal....

I just can't bring myself to leave my weapons dirty, be it AR or AK or Glock or....aww hell, I just can't do it!!! It truly is a sickness.

FWIW I use 2 boresnakes: one for 5 initial passes, the other for 5 subsequent passes. Then into the washing machine they go and are clean when I use them again.  

Link Posted: 9/15/2003 12:39:28 AM EDT
[#8]
AFTER YOU TAKE A DUMP YOU MUST PRACTICE PROPER HYGEINE AND WIPE THOROUGHLY.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 8:40:32 AM EDT
[#9]
If you must wait the neatest thing I have found is the bore snake. It takes just seconds to run it through the barrel. But I'm one of those guys that has to clean the wepon  every time you fire it.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top