Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2003 3:57:06 PM EDT
I'm new to AR rifles, and I was wondering if this is a Pre-Ban Colt M4.  Please excuse the beginner questions in my first post.  Here's what I'm looking at:

Colt gray rifle, blue label box, model R6551, manufactured in early 1994.  Lower is marked "Sporter Target Model Cal .223"  Has the sear block.

The upper is A2, not a flat top, marked "CMB" on the handle, and has a tiny "circle in a square" as well.  Rear sight wheel is marked "8/3".

Barrel is 16", has the A2 flash hider, and is profiled for a grenade launcher, has a bayo lug, marked "B MP 5.56 NATO 1/9"

Front sight has a "crown" symbol on the left side.

When I look through the vent holes in the hand guards, I can not see the gas tube due to the black metal shield inside - are these the M4 hanguards with double heat shields?

Bolt carrier has a "C"

I'm about to put a Colt collapsible stock on this rifle, so will this become an M4/A2?  Or do all M4 rifles have the flat-top receiver?

If this is not an M4, then what is this called, just a "carbine"?  Did Colt ship these uppers in '94, or is this a retrofit?  Any explanation of the markings would be greatly appreciated.  

Last question: I don't want to overpay for this rifle, so what would be it's market value in about 98% condition, with what looks like very, very few rounds shot?

Thanks for such an informative forum!
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 4:22:04 PM EDT
[#1]
The barrel is marked B MP 556 NATO? If so, it's not the original barrel; it's a Bushmaster barrel.  A Colt barrel would be marked C MP.  It does sound like the handguards are the M4 double liner type. I'm not positive, but I don't think Colt was putting that type on commercial models at that time.  Sounds like a previous owners rework of the original piece.

About the serial number I can tell you nothing. I have absolutely no knowlwdge of the changeover time or markings.
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 4:27:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Go to [url]http://www.biggerhammer.net/ar15/variants/[/url], and look under your model.
The rifle you describe has had a Bushmaster 1/9 16" barrel put onto a Colt upper, that should have a 20" 1/7.

Edit. To be a M4 you need to have.
A Marked upper that has stamped 4 or M4 just above the gas tube hole as it enters the upper.
14.5" barrel 1/7 and collasping stock.
M4 = Fixed Carry Handle
M4A1 = Removable Carry Handle

From Colt:
RO977 : Flat top, Safe/Semi/Full Auto
RO979 : Flat top, Safe/Semi/Burst
RO777 : Fixed handle, Safe/Semi/Full Auto
RO779 : Fixed handle, Safe/Semi/Burst
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 5:38:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I had a Colt 6551. They came from the factory in an A2 configuration with a 20" barrel, flash suppressor, full stock, and no bayonet lug. Someone has at the very minimum exchanged the Colt barrel for a Bushmaster M4 barrel and added M4 handguards. Add a telestock and you can call it an M4. [:D]

As for value, I sold my complete 6551 [b]lower[/b] with Colt telestock for $1000 about 2 months ago. Figure in the price of an upper in your configuration and that will get you close to its value.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top