Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2003 7:44:03 PM EDT
Is there a big difference in the different parts suppiers out there? Is the parts you buy from Bushy the same supplier that RRA gets them from or Oly ,DMPS ect..... Ive normally ordered from Bushy but might pick up some from my neighbor (Tommy Haskins)(GPSS) .He just lives around the block from me.I was just wondering about who supplies the big three or four AR manufactors.Thanks WD
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 8:02:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 8:08:55 PM EDT
[#2]
While I am no expert on this subject, I believe that as long as it is labeled mil-spec, there is not much diference, although, I am sure that someone will come behind me on this.
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 5:04:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
While I am no expert on this subject, I believe that as long as it is labeled mil-spec, there is not much diference, although, I am sure that someone will come behind me on this.
View Quote

You're right[:D]. My own experience is that all the aftermatket people are using very high quality suppliers for uppers, lowers, and barrels; and any POS supplier they can contract with for internals and small parts.  "Milspec" doesn't seem to mean a damn thing, except "it looks military". I've gotten junk parts from Rock River (cracked mag release that broke after 100 rounds), DPMS (truly ugly looking mag release button, out of spec bolt holdopen), and Bushmaster (hammer that looked like it was carved out w/a butcher knife).

Also, none of the aftermarket people, with the possible exception of Bushie, electropolish their bolt assemblies, which is why you see the occasional posting about a bolt that cracked or broke at the cam pin hole, or the guy who started getting malfunctions because the sharp edges at the front of his bolt shaved off enough brass from the base of his cases to tie his piece up. That's why all my bolt assys are Colt mil surp. They don't do that.

I haunt the gun shows to find used Colt internal parts. I'd rather have used Colt internals in my rifles, than any of the new pieces from aftermarket suppliers. Yeah, the aftermarket stuff is fine 99% of the time, but I don't want to have to worry about that 1% when I'm at the range, or out in the field.[:D]

Link Posted: 8/30/2003 5:31:25 AM EDT
[#4]
I thought Colt contracted out their internal small parts?  I might be wrong but there was a thread on it a few months ago.  I'll try to find it.  It seems like Oly made their own, but most of the other big companies contracted it out.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 8:13:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I thought Colt contracted out their internal small parts?  I might be wrong but there was a thread on it a few months ago.  I'll try to find it.  It seems like Oly made their own, but most of the other big companies contracted it out.  
View Quote

They may indeed sub out their small part stuff, but my point still holds. If they use it in a rifle, they've made sure it meets their standards. They've had to over the years, b/c they don't know which of their pieces are going into commercial, and which into GI contract rifles.

The other guys? My impression is that they expect the customer to do the final inspection of the rifle.  Take a look at how many posts we get from guys whose brand new XX brand rifle wasn't quite right, and he had to send it back to the factory, or get a new something or other from them.

Sure, the good guys will make it right, but why the hell should we have to shell out our hard earned bucks, and immediately have to get something fixed; even if it is fixed free?

And now you know why I build my own ARs, from pieces I have personally looked at and "passed" before I bought them [:D]
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 10:56:42 AM EDT
[#6]
[url=continentalmachinetool.com/firearms.html]Continental Machine Tool[/url]

[url=cerrofabricated.com/products_firearm.htm]Cerro Forge[/url]

[url=forgings.com]Anchor Harvey[/url]
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 12:26:20 PM EDT
[#7]
MATTEL
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 10:03:43 PM EDT
[#8]
I do some subcontract work in my spare time with my vise grips and handy file (built to actual mikespec). They like me cause I'm cheap.
Link Posted: 8/31/2003 6:49:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I do some subcontract work in my spare time with my vise grips and handy file (built to actual mikespec). They like me cause I'm cheap.
View Quote

Now wait a minute.  I also need a hammer to get mine together.  How do you get along w/o one? I'm trying to reduce my tools inventory to the least possiblr[:D]
Link Posted: 8/31/2003 1:50:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Now wait a minute.  I also need a hammer to get mine together.  How do you get along w/o one? I'm trying to reduce my tools inventory to the least possiblr[:D]
View Quote

Oh I just use the back of the vise grips.  Actually, they aren't real vise grips, just some chinese knockoffs. [;)]

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top