Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2003 12:37:23 PM EDT
I just got my AR the other day and had to put it together (upper and lower came separately) and that went off without a hitch.  Now I want to disassemble it but, for some reason, I can't.  When I got to physically separate the upper from the lower it is really tight.  And I do not feel comfortable pulling with that much force on my remoeveable A3 carrying handle.  Any suggestions as to the correct movement of the upper to get it off?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 12:52:28 PM EDT
[#1]
[b] Try working it back and forth . It should walk its way apart as long as you have the pin clear. Don't worry about pulling on it . Your not going to break it. When you reassemble lube that forward area of the Upper . You just need to break that tight fit in. Good Luck

SaFe ShOoTiNg
   Jerry [/b][):)]
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 9:07:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Absolutely no offense, but you’ve got the bolt and carrier forward – right?

If it were mine and I were having this problem, I’d try this:

Extend just the takedown (rear) pin and try separating the upper and lower at the rear by resting the magazine well on my knee and pushing down on the buttstock with one hand and the forend in the other.

If it opens, then extend the pivot (forward) pin and work the upper and lower together till they come apart.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 6:40:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah I got it apart after slidestop's reply.  I actually extended both pins out and the grabbed the pistol grip with one hand and the removeable carrying handle with the other and slowly applied increasing force until it came apart.  My guess is that since the gun is still new, and has had only 40 rounds through it, the tightness I am experiencing is normal.  Thanks for the help though.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top