Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2003 9:16:26 PM EDT
Looking forward to buying a pre-ban AR...have several questions about lowers by manufacturer.

Olympic SGW "Stop Sign"...cast or forged??? quality???

Essential Arms...same question

Eagle Arms...same question

Not in the market for a Bushy or Colt...too damn much loot...

of these three are there any comprable in price and/or quality???

how do these (and any others you may have in mind in the same price range) compare w/ one another as far as quality goes???

are there any suggestions on CAR-type stocks???

thanks, SOLAR
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 9:23:42 PM EDT
[#1]
PWA also made good forged lowers.
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 11:14:02 PM EDT
[#2]
pretty sure essential arms are all cast.

i'd hold off as prices seem to be going down a bit.  i saw a complete essential AR a few months ago for $750 at a show.  
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 11:55:55 PM EDT
[#3]
What kind of money are you looking to spend??  My dad has a PWA Commando that he assembled in 92 or 93.  

Not sure if he'd part with it but I could ask.  I can also check the serial # for you so you can verify that it's preban.  Question is, since one is able to set up a post-ban to like pre-ban config., why spend the extra cash???
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 12:05:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
...Not sure if he'd part with it but I could ask.  I can also check the serial # for you so you can verify that it's preban.  Question is, since one is able to set up a post-ban to like pre-ban config., why spend the extra cash???
View Quote

Only after (if?) the ban sunsets in '04, would your statement be correct. Currently, one is [u]not[/u] able to "set up a post-ban to like pre-ban confg." And by "pre-ban config" you're talking about the "evil" features like flash hider, collapsible stock, bayo lug, etc, etc, right?   [>:/]
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 12:13:26 AM EDT
[#5]
I bought a Colt AR15. Cost is higher, but it is a non reputable pre-ban.

Make sure you read up on all the legalities of pre-ban rifles and receivers. IF you don't know the laws, it's easy to get burned, or put in an iffy situation.

A lower receiver sold alone is not a pre-ban, regardless of mfg date..UNLESS it is marked AR-15.

I'm not going to go in depth here, but if you've got any questions, feel free to IM me.

I bought my Colt lower for $900 a year or two ago. similar lowers by OLY/EA/others were around $750.

I'm glad i paid the extra $150. It's alot easier to prove that it's pre-ban.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 12:21:33 AM EDT
[#6]
This piece from arfcom's legal section does a good job of explainin' the differences between pre and post-ban: [url=http://www.ar15.com/content/legal/preORpost.html]Pre-Ban or Post-Ban: More Than Just A Date[/url]

p.s. not knowing the differences and putting something goofy on your post-ban AR could make you a felon...and that ain't good.  [:)]
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 1:06:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks Gents...keep it coming...also anyone who can provide info as to whether or not the various manufacturers I listed are cast or forged and of the reputation of quality of each would be appreciated...SOLAR
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 6:34:44 AM EDT
[#8]
I've also heard that Essential only made cast receivers.That doesn't mean it's no good.Olymics are good in my opinion because Olympic will take your preban and replace it with a new one with the original for a fee.PWA's are forged and mine is all in spec.They are sort of a glossy black but a refinsh job is about $60 for a stripped lower.I'm not familiar with Eagle but I haven't heard anything bad about them.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 6:45:14 AM EDT
[#9]
ARgue:

I just meant that you can ALMOST configure a post-ban to look like a pre-ban.  Bushmaster's post-ban M-4 is ALMOST like a pre-ban except for the pinned stock and muzzle brake.  That's all.  Just wondering if the extra cost for superfluous aesthetic features is worth it to the original poster.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 7:46:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
ARgue:

I just meant that you can ALMOST configure a post-ban to look like a pre-ban.  Bushmaster's post-ban M-4 is ALMOST like a pre-ban except for the pinned stock and muzzle brake.  That's all.  Just wondering if the extra cost for superfluous aesthetic features is worth it to the original poster.
View Quote

There is nothing aesthetic about a flash suppressor or a functional telestock my friend.  Now, on the other hand a pinned telestock is a superfluous aesthetic feature as you would say and a muzzle brake on an AR is pretty much the same.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 8:55:53 AM EDT
[#11]
The Eagle Arms and SGW lowers are forged.  As far as quality, Eagle Arms will rank right up there with Bushmaster and Colt (IMO).  You can call Armalite and they will verify pre-ban status for you.  SGW lowers are great quality but since Olympic had that fire they are almost impossible to prove pre-ban status.  They do have a list of serial numbers on their website but they can not tell you when it left the factory or if it left as a complete rifle.

HTH
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 10:17:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Found one!!!

Got a LNIB EA Preban J15 for $850...one question...were these complete rifles, the guy I'm getting it from said he bought it in 1993 w/ the upper and bought it as an entire rifle...just want to know before I pull the trigger...thanks, SOLAR
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 10:50:21 PM EDT
[#13]
I would look around for something forged but that's just my opinion.
Link Posted: 8/31/2003 3:46:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Thats too much for that lower. You can get a Colt sp1 lower off of the EE for $750.
Link Posted: 8/31/2003 8:54:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Whywork, I agree, I'm sorry I wasn't clear enough...It is an entire rifle for $850...comes w/ 2 mags and a POS Chinese carry handle scope...I believe it is an EA J-15 Carbine...SOLAR
Link Posted: 8/31/2003 1:12:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

A lower receiver sold alone is not a pre-ban, regardless of mfg date..UNLESS it is marked AR-15.

View Quote

Where did you hear this. Not the first part, the second part after unless.
GG
Link Posted: 8/31/2003 1:15:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
...Not sure if he'd part with it but I could ask.  I can also check the serial # for you so you can verify that it's preban.  Question is, since one is able to set up a post-ban to like pre-ban config., why spend the extra cash???
View Quote

Only after (if?) the ban sunsets in '04, would your statement be correct. Currently, one is [u]not[/u] able to "set up a post-ban to like pre-ban confg." And by "pre-ban config" you're talking about the "evil" features like flash hider, collapsible stock, bayo lug, etc, etc, right?   [>:/]
View Quote

He said LIKE pre ban, Which means to me Fake tele stock, FF hider and such. Where it looks pre but isnt.
GG
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top