Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/28/2003 12:48:47 PM EDT
Who should I contact and what is the best coating for this gun?
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 4:33:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Check into John Norrells refinishing. I just had mine reanondized, it looks awsome. Reasonably priced too, had mine done for $168.00 and that includes insurance and shipping. I believe it's www.johnnorrellarms.com.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 12:49:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Ken at [url=http://www.sawlesales.com]SAW[/url]. If you’re looking for the real deal (100% Colt color and hard coat) SAW is the place you want to go.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 3:31:57 PM EDT
[#3]
It depends on what type of finish you want...I just had my Colt pb refinished in Teflon S by Rocky Mountain Arms.  Although they took longer than what they advertised and seemed to have their head up their asses it turned out good.  Lots of advantages to tefloning too!
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 6:29:39 PM EDT
[#4]
www.johnnorrellarms.com  
He did my Pre Ban Oly in his flat black.. Hes got a Colt Grey that looks great too.. Check him out.. John
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 9:49:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Walter Birdsong & Associates
1435 Monterey Road
Florence, MS 39073
1-(601)939-7448

His "Black-T" finish is the standard by which all other Teflon finishes are judged, & his refinishing process respects & preserves the hard coat anodizing of the aluminum receiver ( VERY important & something other refinishers don't necessarily do).

...and no, he doesn't have a web site.  Give Walter a call. He will be more than happy to tell you about his finish!  

Link Posted: 8/29/2003 10:08:27 PM EDT
[#6]
John Norrell is the best I've seen and had.  Tough as nails finish and mine has seen abuse!  They do have Colt grat and the flat black is excellent.
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 6:42:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Check into John Norrells refinishing. I just had mine reanondized, it looks awsome. Reasonably priced too, had mine done for $168.00 and that includes insurance and shipping. I believe it's www.johnnorrellarms.com.
View Quote

After reading this thread, I emailed John Norrel and he said they don't offer anodizing.

Quote:[b]

"Derek,

Thanks for the inquiry but I don't anodize and don't know of anyone that does.  Sorry,

John"[/b]

DPMS will re-anodize, but I'm too chicken to send them My beloved Pre-94 Purple Bushmaster !

Bushmaster refered Me to a Place in Florida, but I lost the name and Phone number.
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 9:15:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

After reading this thread, I emailed John Norrel and he said they don't offer anodizing.

Quote:[b]

"Derek,

Thanks for the inquiry but I don't anodize and don't know of anyone that does.  Sorry,

John"[/b]
View Quote

Sorry, your right I also checked into it and I apologize for the miss information about the anondizing. Its a moly resine finish. I'm a noob when it comes to all the different finishes out there, I just assumed it was anondizing. But it still doesn't take away from the job and service provided by John Norrell.
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 9:34:30 AM EDT
[#9]
I can't see why you would want your weapon reanodized, unless you have broken through the lower receiver in numerous areas, which is something even the military typically does not do.  You have a worn finish, which can be made very nice by refinishing.  Any of the mentioned people/ places can do a great job for you.

Walter probably thought you were doing 80% forgings or something when you asked that.  Tell him you need it refinished, and see the difference in his answer.
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 12:18:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I can't see why you would want your weapon reanodized, unless you have broken through the lower receiver in numerous areas, which is something even the military typically does not do.  You have a worn finish, which can be made very nice by refinishing.  Any of the mentioned people/ places can do a great job for you....

View Quote

I have a purple Pre-94 Bushy.
I've had uppers Moly'ed and I'm not too impressed with the finish. It scratches too easy, compared to a good Mil-Spec Hard coat anodize.

I'm not hackin' John Norrells, He's got a great reputataion, I just want [b]anodizing.[/b]

My Purple Bushmaster:
[img]http://www.hunt101.com/img/025979.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 12:45:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Supposedly there is a place in FL, near Daytona? that many M16 owners at Subguns.com state he is the place, as this guy has the FN contract for finish work????  Might be worth following up on.
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 10:56:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I have a purple Pre-94 Bushy.
I've had uppers Moly'ed and I'm not too impressed with the finish. It scratches too easy, compared to a good Mil-Spec Hard coat anodize.

I'm not hackin' John Norrells, He's got a great reputataion, I just want [b]anodizing.[/b]
View Quote

I can't find their telephone number but the place you want is Precision Coatings of Titusville, FL.  It is the place that Bushmaster recommends.  Give Bushmaster a call and they can give you the info.  The only catch is that jobs are priced by the batch, not per piece so it would be in your best interests to try and get a few people together to share the cost.  This is what new-arguy did and the cost came out to $75 each.
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 1:27:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Ken at [url=http://www.sawlesales.com]SAW[/url]. If you’re looking for the real deal (100% Colt color and hard coat) SAW is the place you want to go.
View Quote

I second this! Ken does great work!
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 1:31:56 AM EDT
[#14]
What about Lauer?

[url]http://www.lauerweaponry.com/ezac/index.asp[/url]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top