Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2003 5:08:10 AM EDT
Hey guys I need to buy a boltgroup complete real soon.I would figure that Bushmaster and Armalite bolts are top knotch. Not saying anyone else's bolts arn't any good. I just don't know nothing about any other company.Heck they could be all made by the same contractor for all I know. I see Armalites bolts groups are alittle cheaper than Bushmasters.Ive even checked Colts web site but they didn't even list parts over there that I could find.I just want a top quality bolt group. Lead me guys for I am blind.

Also whats the deal on buying bolts and hopeing they headspace. Ive thought Ive been told or read that most bolts should just drop in and headspace.Is this true? Whats the norm? I do have headspace guages.They are Clymers .223 guages. Thanks for any help yall can give this Georgia boy..... WarDawg
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 5:16:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Armalite or BM.
your choice.  i like Armalite.

your chamber is cut to a certain depth.  and there is a tolerance.  so let's say you cut a piece of 2x4 board.  you want it 12" long.  how close it good enough?  do you have to have a board 11.99998" - 12.0000" or can you get by with one that is 11.9"-12.1"?  what ever that variation is that's your tolerance.  so your chamber tolerance is X.  your bolt has a tolerance just like the chamber and if you get a short bolt and a deep chamber the cavity of the chamber will be too big and a case will rupture when fired.  most chambers and bolts fall into the middle of the tolerance so you will likely never have a problem.

Link Posted: 8/19/2003 10:57:43 AM EDT
[#2]
If I had to buy a new bolt right now I would get the improved LMT bolt.

I got mine before they cam out so I got Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 12:41:26 PM EDT
[#3]
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=167217&page=1[/url]

Forget the gauges.  Put in the bolt and go shooting.
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 4:33:57 PM EDT
[#4]
You didn't mention what upper the bolt group is for. As long as the part you get is in spec, it should drop right in any AR you have. If you're going to headspace it, the 'GO' and 'FIELD' gauges are the ones you want to use. The bold MUST close on the 'GO' gauge, and CAN'T close on the 'FIELD' gauge.
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 6:35:06 PM EDT
[#5]
You need M16 gauges, not .223.  An AR15 may close on a .223 Field, and still be a safe rifle.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top