Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/24/2003 6:44:18 PM EDT
Looks like I am going to purchase my first AR (6400C). However, I have some simple questions that some of you guys may be able to help me out with. Is the 6400C 5.56 or .223? If it is .223 does this mean I can't use Q3131A and XM193? What does the US military use in their 1/7 twist M4s and would be able to get this ammo on the civilian market? If not what is the closest thing? Last but not least is there a real argument not to purchase the colt vs. another brand AR in this configuration. To me it seems the Colts are hard to find in the St.Louis area is there a particular reason for this? I would appreciate any input.
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 6:48:46 PM EDT
[#1]
It is 5.56.

For ammo try here. [url]www.ammoman.com[/url]
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 9:09:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Having a .223 rifle does not necesarily mean you can't use 5.56mm ammo. A lot of people do and have no problems.  If a problem occurs, it will most likely be a feeding or extraction problem.  

The military uses M855/SS109 type ammunition in the 1/7 twist barrels.  Yes, it is available for civilian sales.

The 6400 is one of the few Colts I would reccommend.  It is the crown jewel in their civilian line-up.  A Bushmaster would be the only real competition to the 6400, but the 6400 comes with a lot of features that would take extra money and effort to make a Bushy M4 similar.

Colts are pretty hard to find in most areas.  Civilian sales are a low priority with Colt these days.  The only real concern is the good possibility that Colt's customer service will be quite lacking in the case that you have a problem.  That is not always the case, but sems to be a lot of the time.  However, the good news is that the 6400 seems to be the model with the least problems in Colt's product line.
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 3:09:14 AM EDT
[#3]
I bought one of these about six weeks ago. Just for grins I temporaly put a Leupold 6-24X50 long range on it to check its accuracy. I found several loads that were sub MOA. I did not expect this from an M4. I only have 550 rounds through it but it has been 100% reliable.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top