Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2003 6:41:10 AM EDT
New to the AR15 world but not new to guns. I am interested in getting my first AR15. Looking around and the American Spirit Arms AR15 kits look attractive because of the simplicity and lower price. What are your thoughts on the ASA rifles/service?
Thanks in advance.
Coop
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 7:09:44 AM EDT
[#1]
American Spirit Arms has had some issues in the past, and most people here do not recommend them at all.  For $499, you are better off  buying a DPMS kit for $489 at www.DPMSinc.com, though it used to be $425 about two months ago I believe.  Prices got jacked up a lot, unless you are dead set on building your own, the best deal is probably at http://www.sableco.net, get a Rock River upper assembly, and buy a Rock River lower assembly, only work you have to do is slap the two together and push the pivot pins in.  Probably run you about $600 + shipping and you'll be able to get the complete rifle.  The kits don't have a lower, which will cost you about $110.
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 8:20:04 AM EDT
[#2]
I built an ASA several years ago.  It's been a reliable rifle and I really like it.   The upper doesn't match the lower though, color is a bit off.  I visited the shop last time I was in Phoenix, nice folks to deal with.  But I agree that RRA might be a better option, they weren't around when I built mine.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 9:33:48 AM EDT
[#3]
If you go RRA i HIGHLY suggest Pete at Legal Transfers or Paul at MSTN over Sableco, they have been haven a LOT of issues with their customers lately, me being one of them.
I have ordered from Pete several items and he really does live by his slogan, " I am committed to providing customer service that is the standard to which others will be judge"
he is the AR wizard.
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 10:53:58 AM EDT
[#4]
As previous comments there have been reports of not the best quality in the past and bad PR. A buddy of mine has a ASA upper on a Bushmaster lower and after one trip back (where they took good care of him) has a lot of good shooting out of the combination for several years now.

ASA is only a few miles from me (Phoenix area) and I get small parts from them occasionally, because they have them in stock, my personal experience has been good overall.
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 11:21:52 AM EDT
[#5]
RRA, is awesome stuff.  I got mine from pete last week.  The upper to lower fit is tight.  I got it with the nation match trigger and its smooth.  The finish is perfect.  I may get another one from pete soon.  Not sure the config of it tho.

Link Posted: 7/22/2003 12:16:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I've have an ASA 9mm 10.5" upper in FA with mag block/UZI adapter for my M16A1.  It runs like a Frenchman from a German.  No probs at all.  I added the AAC rate-reducer buffer/spring for the collapsible stock. F-U-N!  -TF
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 2:17:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I just built a complete ASA CAR  with the 16" Wilson NM hbar on an ASA lower. The finish it perfect, and the rifle funtions flawlessly. My brother-in-law has the commander upper from ASA also. No problems there either. On the cust. service issues, he took a bolt to them from his 1st preban A2 along with the commander upper because it failed to eject. He told them it was his bolt, not their's and they still fixed the extractor for free. No problems or questions. A fine company.   Just my .02..

Next up 20" ASA upper w/ Lothar Walther bull barrel, flattop... all the goodies.

Ron
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 3:39:14 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a 20" RRA that I built on an ASA lower. Finish is identical and I haven't had a single problem. However, my friend had a complete ASA and got rid of it because he had alot of problems.
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 3:52:13 PM EDT
[#9]
 ASA is (IN)famous for its awful quality and terrible customer service.
 I see a lot of AR's where I shoot and have seen only ONE ASA ever actually work....and that one was sent back to the factory THREE times.
 I realize not EVERY ASA gun is going to be a lemon...but you ARE taking your chances.
 Save your money and buy right the first time.
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 4:12:35 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a DPMS CAR Hbar. Great rifle and an accurate shooter.  Like a previous person said, I have purchased accessories and parts from ASA.  Good prices and they are local for me. No complaints. Do not have any exp. with their rifles.
Go to there website and browse. You can order one of their catalogs.
For the money, I would recommend DPMS.
Their website is dpmsinc.com

[usa]
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 5:10:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
---snip----  It runs like a Frenchman from a German.  ---snip--- -TF
View Quote

[lolabove]

That's funny, never heard that before!

Coop - you're dropping $500 to $700 on a weapon. Think about why you're buying the rifle - it you ever think that it's going to be called on to save a life do yourself a favor and spend a few extra bucks and get a better quality rifle.

I recommend ABC + RRA. That's Armalite (they also make Eagle Arms), Bushmaster, Colt, and Rock River Arms. I would avoid Hesse and ASA. The rest are somewhere in the middle.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top