Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/18/2003 7:25:24 PM EDT
http://www.colt.com/CMCI/MTHBAR.asp  <--Good Shit

See that? It's Colt's newest 20" A2 style design, but it has the lock pins of a standard AR. However, I hear that the triggers are still extremely heavy. Is there a good single stage, match grade trigger group that I could mount in this particular gun? And could someone, Colt or otherwise, remove that muzzle break easily?

I'm thinking of using this for highpower matches, since it has the 1:7 twist, and Colt barrels have an excellent reputation for good accuracy. However, it will also serve triple duty as a home defense gun ( since the barrel is chrome lined with an M16 chamber ), a match rifle ( due to the ability to accurately fire heavy rounds ), and as a collectors gun, as I really want that famous Colt stallion on my reciever.
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 8:23:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Anyone?
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 9:21:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice rifles, I just wish they offered them in a flattop A3.  With a typical selling price of just over $900, they are pretty well priced for a Colt too.

The Match Competition HBAR's are a flattop, but only have the 1:9 twist.
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 7:18:45 AM EDT
[#3]
You know, I think Colt is coming back into the game with these new ARs, the new website.... I take that this is a good thing..

But I'm still worried about the heavy trigger pull., and I really want that brake off. I heard that one of the JP single stage triggers will work, but I'm still not sure about the fire control pins, and their size.
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 10:36:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Actually, I just built an SPR type using the Colt Match Competition HBAR, and the trigger pull seems to be about 4lbs and really smooth.

[img]www.auction-pix.com/lane/SPRRASMOD.jpg[/img]

I agree too, it seems that Colt has started listening to their retail market and have finally started producing more AR's for the civilian market.  

I know they have also revamped their LE marketing as well, which is really a good move too.
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 8:12:18 PM EDT
[#5]
WOW. I'm going to say this once and once only. That is a beastly setup you got there.

What kinda glass you gonna mount on that? And also, does that particular model have std. lock pins?

Good to hear about the trigger. I was worried that it would be one of the infamous '8lb. Colt triggers'. Guess I won't be needing the upgraded one, then.

That is a beastly setup you got there...[:D]
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 3:08:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Have had that set up for about 6mo. now and very pleased with it...had float tube, 1/4X1/4 NM sights installed and worked for awhile with the stock trigger...Way too heavy and a lot of creep so I had Lew Tippie install a Jewell trigger and that did the trick, smooth and crisp...Shoots especially well with Black Hills 75gr Blue box, also likes 68gr, but not quite the grouping...Just bought a 16" RR A-2 upper for plinking and happy with it also, good quality, really likes the South African 55gr, groups well...
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 6:32:16 AM EDT
[#7]
ArmyInf:  Who makes the top rail you have on that beast?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 8:03:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Wait a min. For a Jewell to fit in, the fire control pins would have to standard sized, yes yes?
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 8:52:42 AM EDT
[#9]
they make it for the large pin Colts
[url]http://www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/129509[/url]
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 9:29:50 AM EDT
[#10]
But hold on there. Do these new rifles have the standard fice control pins or what? You folks speak as if they have not changed them yet.
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 12:58:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the compliment, I really like how it turned out.  The Comp HBAR pictured does have the larger fire control pins, so the new MT6601 may also have them.  If you don't want the Comp then just make sure you order the MT6601 which will have the bare muzzle, the MT6601C has the compensator (muzzle brake) installed.

Regarding the scope I want to use, I plan to use a Leupold M3 LR 3.5-10x40mm on it so it should be perfect for my meduim to long range shooting.

Big Bore - I used the ARMS #38 SPR Rail for this rifle and it works great.  The holes don't line up with the ones on the RAS, but it still fits nice and snug onto the RAS's 12 o'clock rail providing an excellent mounting platform.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 3:00:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks.  I just bought the ARMS Super Extended #38 for use on the .458 SOCOM, but for some reason mine doesn't look near as long as yours.  It looks like yours uses three mounting cross bolts, whereas mine only uses two.  Also, the forward part of mine is reduced in thickness forward of the receiver.  I guess they changed the design a bit between when you got yours and when I got mine.  Personally, I like the looks of your style better.  Thanks again.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 3:42:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Ah shiz. I forgot that they had the option of the one with no brake. THanks again.

But since Colt is the master of exceptions, when did they change their lock pins?

You folks have to understand - since I don't own an AR YET, almost every AR I see looks good. [:D]

Now what I'm really wondering, is if a little letter would convince Colt to change policy.....
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 11:41:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Blacklack272,

When you say “lock pins” are you referring to the “push pins” that allow you to break down the rifle into two parts?

The new Colt 6601 and 6601C both use small push pins like everybody else. As a matter of fact, I don’t believe Colt builds a rifle with the older large front pin any longer.

As for the fire control parts, I believe all rifles Colt built for the civilian market use large fire control pins. There are however, several different aftermarket match fire control sets that will fit this weapon. I don’t think Colt blind pins in a sear block in their new lowers any more either. Rather, there is a block that is left in place as part of the machining process.

As for the barrel I don’t believe the civilian models have chrome-lined barrels and that they do have .223 chambers. If you’re going to use the rifle for competitive shooting this would be the better choice.

I don’t know how well suited it would be for triple duty. Match rifles are usually a bit on the heavy side; this might make it a little unwieldy. I also don’t know if there is any real collector value in a new 6601.

That said, it has been my experience that Colt weapons have a great deal on the resale market. If you buy the weapon right you shouldn’t get hosed if you ever have to sell it. Also I think the Colt has great potential as a match rifle OR for home defense. Not both at the same time (just my .02).

I have had the same idea as you for a while now too. I would like to get back into High Power Service Rifle and think the 6601 is the best place to start. I want to start with a 6601, add a floating hand guard, match sights, and a good FCG and go start shooting matches. The factory Colt barrel should be fine for several thousand rounds. When the barrel starts to show a significant amount of wear I’d send it off for a new Krieger barrel. Hopefully I’ll be up to par with the new barrel by then.

For home defense and plinking you might consider an M4 type rifle. It is a smaller and lighter rifle, better suited for such work.

Just my opinion, but I think you’re on track with Colt. I know there are a lot of folks out there who have weapons by other manufactures and they run just fine, but it has been my experience that if you want to start with all the highest quality parts, do yourself and buy a Colt. Not that Colt weapons won’t have their bad days too, but I have yet to see one that won’t run for any other reason than it has been neglected.

I hope some of this helps.

Best Regards, J    
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 11:48:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Buy a factory Service Match gun from Rock River Arms, or I dare say anyone, as this would make more sense than stripping down an inadequate gun putting it back together in a totally different configuration and then hopefully upgrading to a quality barrel later on.

Just buy a DCM rifle off the bat.

As for Service Rifle I just spotted for a guy who can shoot 3" group at 500 yds with open sights.  And he is not the one winning all the big matches.

You guys who can compete in that game are an impressive breed.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top