Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/15/2003 9:35:59 PM EDT
Hey everyone,

The other day i decided to give all my guns a deep cleaning...So i sprayed them down with some Non-chlorinated Brake Cleaner, brushed and wiped them clean, and gave their insides a thick healthy coat of Rusty Duck Lubricant (the aerosol can type). I wiped the excess off the outside of my rilfes, and put all my Bushys  back into that hard foam case they come in (including my unfired m4).
Anyways, two days later, i checked up on them again, and their bolt carriers, and trigger parts were all bone dry!!!! (sepcially the M4)

what on earth happend to all the lube?!?!?!?
what am i doing wrong?

Thanks for all the help.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 9:41:01 PM EDT
[#1]
The foam will absorb the lube away from the gun every time.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 9:42:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Rusty duck?

IS that anything liek a rusty trombone?

[:)]
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 12:34:50 AM EDT
[#3]
It's also not ideal to store a gun in a guncase like that.  The foam will tend to absorb/trap moisture.  If that's your only option, you might want to put a dessicant pack in the case.
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 5:29:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Also if you do store it in that case, you can avoid having the BC dry out by closing the cover.  It will at least keep the absorbant foam from sucking the lube from the BC.  (just a thought)
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 6:07:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Duh, lubricate liberally with BreakFree.  
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 8:38:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the replies so far...

I do always close my dust covers on my ARs, but my BC is still dried out....

Any suggestions how to store my weapons? I've got a lockable vacant closet....is it better to perhaps hang them on a rack in there?

Also, i've got this other thick Hoppes 9 Lubricating oil....Is it ok to use two different types of lubes in an AR? Or will this result in gum or other problems?
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 9:32:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Since you are just storing your weapons in the foam pad cases, I assume you don't care about security.

Go buy a $80 metal gun locker, and put your guns in there.

Storing your guns long term in the foam case is a no-no. The foam traps moisture. Moisture causes rust.

Av.
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 10:35:40 AM EDT
[#8]
I agree.  Go and get yourself a cheap gun safe.  A small portion of my bushy's lower began to dis-color from long term storage in that damn open cell foam padding.  I went and spent $170 on what I consider to be a very inexpensive gun safe just so I could keep them away from the foam and locked while I'm not using them.  I wipe down the exterior of all my weapons with CLP before I put them away in the safe just as an added preventative step and it never evaporates or drys up.  Doesn't make much sense to spend $800 or more on a rifle that you're going to protect with a $14 case.
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 10:44:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Try using a small ammount of Tetra grease in the right places and:

1. The lube won't get absorbed by the case
2. The gun won't suck up dirt from being over-
  lubed
3. The gun won't suck in ambient dust. (Tetra
  repels it...)
4. The gun will be more reliable.
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 11:11:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Hey thanks alot....

I'll evacuate my guns out of their foam death chamber asap!

Where can one find a cheap safe like that at?
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 11:46:41 AM EDT
[#11]
you can find safes in a few different places

1. want advertiser

2. check the local movers, they get stuck with safes all the time

3. try some chain stores like
a. walmart( has a nice gun locker thats cheap)
b. k-mart
c. sams club

Link Posted: 7/16/2003 12:03:10 PM EDT
[#12]
I purchased mine at the Sportsmans Warehouse.  Great store if you have one in your location.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top