Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/5/2003 8:54:29 PM EDT
(this thread was brought from the AR-10 forum)

Doesn't anyone make some low profile back up iron sights that either don't flip up, or don't flip so tall so they could be used always with see through scope mounts???

Strongmad

No, because it wouldn't work. One of the AR's many advantages is the straight-line stock, which reduces muzzleclimb. But because the stock has no drop in it, you can't get your face any lower than the standard irons anyway.

Besides, having a scope mounted as high as these rings mount them (on a gun with lower iron sights) means that your scope is too high for a proper cheek weld and that you've reduced the range where your zero will apply.

The correct solution is to have the scope on a quick-detach mount, and have back-up irons in place. Which is why many folks do exactly that (who'da thunk it?).

-Troy

Troy, don't you think it would be good to have instant access to both your scope and your irons at that same time? That way if you felt like you were needing your scope, and all the sudden something (or someone) came up on you all the sudden, you would have access to your sights. Plus, that way you could leave the scope on most all of the time and use it for a carry handle. I know what your' thinking, 'just get a A1 or A2 with a seethrough scope mount.' Well, I don't like that for two reasons. First of all, I find that with my cheeks, the carry handle iron sights are a little too high anyway, secondly, I feel that the see though channel is too small to properly use the iron sights in battle, furthermore, the use of forward mounted red dot sight is impraed by the carry handle channel, even if the see through scope mount is not installed.

Beau

I am thinking the ultimate set up would be a flat-top with a FF 4 rail handgaurd, so Irons that are lower profile than the standard Ar-15 height, and some not to tall see through rings mounted directly to the flat-top. Let me ask you, what kind of sights does knights use on it 4 rail gaurds that have an extension that slides back over the flat-top on the upper?

Beau

Link Posted: 7/5/2003 9:07:10 PM EDT
[#1]
It's easy to co-witness iron sights through a zero magification optics. Do it all the time. If you are talking a scope with magnification it won't work because the throgh the optics look at the front site will magnify it and put it out of focus.
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 3:27:16 AM EDT
[#2]
The TAO1 ACOG that I'm issued has a pair of iron sights mounted on top of the scope.  

De Oppresso Liber
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top