Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/4/2003 6:43:49 PM EDT
I just finished my first build. Mega Lower and 20" A2 from M&A sales. Rifle looks great and shoots great. However I have one question. When I shoot Silver Bear ammo(zinc coated steel) it piles the emptys about 5-8 feet to the right and rear, just where my Bushmaster does with all emptys. However when it spits out Brass cases it sends them forward and right. Not that this is a problem but is this normal? The angle forward is about the same as the angle rearward and distance is about the same. It just seams strange to me it would go from one direction to another. I even had a mixed mag and as soon as the brass cases came up it started spitting them forward just like when the mag is loaded with all brass.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 10:36:40 PM EDT
[#1]
That's the undocumented brass sorting function!
At least, that's my best shot at it!  My BM does the same thing.  I just assumed it was the different weight, ot hardness between the steel and brass cases.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 10:37:05 PM EDT
[#2]
If the brass is ejected hard off the deflector, the brass goes forward.  Shoot the brass cases and watch the deflector for the brass bouncing off.

Link Posted: 7/4/2003 10:46:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I've never shot anything but brass cased ammo and I've found various landing positions for it as well. I think it has more to do with how hot the load is.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 10:55:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Different weight of cases and function of pressure and duration at gas port affecting speed of the carrier.  ARs have nice soft ejection and with nice consistent ammo will almost or will throw them all into a 5 gallon bucket.  Of course, carrier speed is slowed by magazine friction too, but it is by far the most consistent ejecting gun ever.
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 1:09:15 PM EDT
[#5]
 ARs have nice soft ejection and with nice consistent ammo will almost or will throw them all into a 5 gallon bucket.
View Quote

now that is a idea, i want to try that
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top