Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/26/2003 5:19:44 AM EDT
I was wondering if a flashhider exhibits any muzzle brake qualities, such as reducing muzzle climb?  If not, then having a crowned muzzle is just as quick on followup shots as one with a flash hider, right?
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 6:10:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Depends on the unit.  The 'A2' birdcage is supposed to function as a flash hider and a compensator.  The military manuals even refer to it as a 'compensator'.

Neither the Vortex nor Phantom flash hiders have any muzzle brake qualities.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 6:56:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Depends on the unit.  The 'A2' birdcage is supposed to function as a flash hider and a compensator.  The military manuals even refer to it as a 'compensator'.

Neither the Vortex nor Phantom flash hiders have any muzzle brake qualities.
View Quote

Forest, please correct me if I'm wrong here but exactly as the question is asked "I was wondering if a flashhider exhibits any muzzle brake qualities......" wouldn't that answer be NO as a flashhider (as opposed to a flash suppressor) is simply a conical shaped device that somewhat protects the shooter from his own muzzle flash ??
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 7:42:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
[wouldn't that answer be NO as a flashhider (as opposed to a flash suppressor) is simply a conical shaped device that somewhat protects the shooter from his own muzzle flash ??
View Quote

Whoo Hoo! Good Catch - you're right on that!  However most newbies use the terms flashider and flash supressor interchangably so I 'assumed' (my mistake) he meant flash supressor.

Kinda like the difference between muzzle brake & compensator.  Many will use the terms interchangably until they learn the difference.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 7:58:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Newbie here :)  So what exactly are the differences between a flash hider/flash suppressor, muzzle brake/compensator?

On that note.  Which muzzle brake(compensator?) do you guys feel is best at controlling muzzle rise without directing too much gas/noise back at the shooter?
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 8:37:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Flash Hider: cone or tube over the muzzle to physically cover/hide the flash. Falsh Suppressor: Several designs but all work by rapidly dissipating (cooling) the hot gasses as they exit the muzzle before they can mix with the air and reignite (flash). Muzzle Brake/Compensator: A muzzle device that directionally forces the exit gasses in a desired direction to control muzzle rise or felt recoil. This is handy for a .50 Cal BMG cartridge Barrett, but strictly cosmetic for a 5.56mm. In a sitting position using the sling, I have unintentionally "milked off" a rapid second shot at 200 yd with 77 gr 5.56mm ammo and no muzzle device. The impact was 3" above the first. Having done this in the past with the M-14, the impact would be about 9"high. M-16 muzzle device = cute but not needed.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 9:11:24 AM EDT
[#6]
So since the term 'flash supressor' is the only term used in the AWB, this should mean it'd be legal to have a permanently attached A2 flash hider.  Funny how the democrats have no vocabulary.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 2:02:34 PM EDT
[#7]
So, write BATFE and ask for an opinion.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 3:22:34 PM EDT
[#8]
NO.
GG
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 3:41:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top