Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/17/2003 4:35:14 PM EDT
OK this is a serious question.  What are the current laws and regulations regarding the "assault weapons" in NY State, and the importation (i.e. bringing a AR15 from a different state into NY state) of the AR15 in New York State?  I have heard different stories, one that the rifle can be brought in from another state, another have said that this is illegal and is a violation of the current local AW ban created by Pataki.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 5:34:39 PM EDT
[#1]
It is perfectly legal to bring an AR15 into New York State at this time.  The state's AWB mirrors the federal ban EXCEPT it does not sunset.  We can have both prebans and postbans here.  Now, this does raise an interesting question.  Once the fed ban expires and you can have newly configured prebans, will you be able to bring those into NYS.  My suspicion would be no since they will have been a post 9-13-94 manufactured "assault weapon."  Post ban configured and original prebans would still be fine.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 5:35:38 PM EDT
[#2]
If it's a legal pre or post ban (semi auto) rifle you are set. You can even (gasp) buy them at the gun (sporting goods) shops. I'm speaking from experience of the Rochester, Buffalo, and Southern tier areas of NY state. NYC and Albany may have additional rules governing ownership etc. I bought my Bushmaster M-17 off the rack in Rochester, from right next to 5 AR's and a couple of HK bulpups. I even know of dealers that carry .50 rifles of varying flavors, and will even allow you to order semi auto versions of machine guns (like the 1919, and M60) and have it shipped on thier FFL. Hope this helps...
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 5:44:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Well thats goodd to hear, well guess another firearm is going on my want/soon to get list.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 8:05:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Hiya M17sGuy, I am a new-to-ARs guy in Rochester, I haven't done any shopping for parts/etc here in town as I didn't really know any good places to go, and I am not native but here for school and work.

So what I was wondering, is do you have any specific recommendations of Rochester-area  AR-useful retailers? I recently learned of R&F Hunting on Dewey, but I haven't been over there yet. I also understand that Creekside Gunshop used to be excellent but has closed up shop. Mail-ordering everything, as I have done with everything except my Bushmaster assembled lower kit, is fine, but I would honestly rather find a good local gun shop I can trust, of course.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 10:37:54 AM EDT
[#5]
ProGun, Rt 96S, Victor, NY. Just off 490 exit of thru-way. Usually lots of black rifles. They had ArmaLite, BM, Colt, and DPMS the  last time I was in. Also carry HK, Springfield from time to time. Not the cheapest, but a lot to look at.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 2:13:57 PM EDT
[#6]
With all due respect to your answers, I think it's a little more complicated that that.  I happen to be from Auburn (as far from Auburn as I could get), and two years ago, on the verge of retirement, I happened to be back at the NYS Fair.

Anticipating returning to NYS to hang out with my Dad, I started prepping for the move.  

I knew my Class II and Class III stuff was just going to be an impossibility, so I'd already sold it.  At like a 700% profit, so I can live with that.  Frankly, take away the movie mystique, and they'd be about as popular a pez dispensers anyway.  

Anyway, I naturally kept my "assault rifles" and intended to return with them because as real Americans know, semi-automatic anything is, by definition NOT an assault rifle.  

At least that what Charles Schumer told me.  

At any rate, I visited the usual haunt at the State Police Exebition and found the highest ranking Trooper I could find and explained my situation to him.  My first question was actually about handguns.  

He asked me if my retired credentials permitted me to carry concealed weapons as a retired Fed?  I replied that I belied so, but Clinton was in the White House I doubted support from the U.S. Attorney's Office would be forthcoming in the event that became an issue.  He told me, "Ours do too.  But our policy is to STRONGLY encourage all of our Troopers apply for NYS Pistol Permit's prior to their retiring."

I then asked him about the State Laws governing "assault rifles."  Incidentally, I did "badge" him so he knew I was for real.  His reply (and this is exact) was, "Franlky, we don't have a fucking clue.  Keep your badge and credentials with you."

That was really gut level, "cop to cop candor," but you got to ask yourself, what the fuck are you people thinking of, and how long are you going to put up with this?

I'm not in any sense of the word a racist, so don't misinterpret this in that manner, but if Al Sharpton (and you can substitute the Jewish Defense league, NOW, MAD, etc) jumped up and yelled "racial discrimination" NYPD would be handing out Federally subsidized MP-5's on every street corner in downtown Brooklyn.

There's a lot of lessons in them there paragraphs my fellow law abiding citizens.  And I'll predict that by 2008, when Hilari's in the White House and Bill's in the Governor's Mansion, we'll all be getting the Monica Lewinski Treatment.

That was a good rant (true story though).

Link Posted: 6/18/2003 3:28:52 PM EDT
[#7]
I believe AR-15s are banned completely in Albany... and SOME brands are banned in NYC... it's kind of county by county here. No problems north of Albany, not sure about the three major metro areas to the west of Albany (Syracuse, Rochester & Buffalo).

Link Posted: 6/18/2003 3:44:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I believe AR-15s are banned completely in Albany... and SOME brands are banned in NYC... it's kind of county by county here. No problems north of Albany, not sure about the three major metro areas to the west of Albany (Syracuse, Rochester & Buffalo).

View Quote

No AR-15's and/or clones in NYC.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 4:18:29 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm in Westchester...just North of NYC....AR 15's are fine here....you can buy them off the rack in any good gun shop.....if you can find one....a good gun store that is......
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 6:14:45 PM EDT
[#10]
The main concern that I have is about importing one from out of state.  THose gun shops that do have pre-bans jack up the prices so much that they basically become just a look and touch but do not buy item.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 6:28:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Fed-up, NY State cops, troopers, etc.. all must get a pistol permit when they retire, you can't keep your guns without getting one. So, whoever it was that you spoke to 'cop' to 'cop' was full of it... :)
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 6:45:29 PM EDT
[#12]
True Bullet, but the Troopers have authority to act as their own issuing agent for permits for their officers...  No judge involved.  In other words, automatic approval and the guarantee of no restrictions and it is valid statewide, including NYC.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 4:40:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Just like NYPD, Nassau PD, Suffolk PD, boy.. you're don't know much about the rest of the state.. :)
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 5:25:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
OK this is a serious question.  What are the current laws and regulations regarding the "assault weapons" in NY State, and the importation (i.e. bringing a AR15 from a different state into NY state) of the AR15 in New York State?  I have heard different stories, one that the rifle can be brought in from another state, another have said that this is illegal and is a violation of the current local AW ban created by Pataki.
View Quote

Lots of info in these posts. Pre and post ban AR's are not permitted in Albany or Buffalo. I don't even think yo can say "AR-15" in NYC. Existing weapons can be registered, but I doubt that you can import them into those areas.

Pre-94 weapons are legal everwhere else. If you read the law, they specifically name AR-15's and clones as "Assault Weapons", and any made after 1994 are illegal. This is poorly written, as it is supposed to mirror the federal ban. You need to be of the mindset that no AR-15's were made after 1994. Post-bans are available at all gun stores, but I've talked to some guys at the range that are wary of bringing them out because of the way the law is written. I asked some sheriff deputies about the legality of AR-15's and the responses I got ranged from "I think they're illegal everywhere" to "I have no idea". I ended up calling reputable gunshops for their opinions. I like to think that they have an attorney tell them how new laws affect their business. That may be criminally optimistic though...
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 10:15:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Last I checked there is no city of Buffalo AW ban.    When did this change?
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 7:09:24 PM EDT
[#16]
HiramRanger, when you say the NY law mirrors the Federal law, does it just say, whatever the Federal law say, us too?  Or does it write it all out, except for the sunset?

Many states have a law that states something like, any weapon that is illegal under federal law is also illegal in that state.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 7:43:01 PM EDT
[#17]
For what it is worth, I have a form letter sent to me by NY State Senator Nick Spano, dated July of 2000.

It was sent to me in response to the numerous letters I sent & phone calls I made to his office, voicing my opposition to the state AW ban. The letter was written AFTER the ban was voted into law, and it states, in part...

To be sure, significant changes were made over several months to the Governor's plan to ensure that it had minimal impact on legal gun owners, as the following chart illustrates:

[u]Governor’s Gun Safety Provisions:[/u]

Conforms NY law to mirror weapons banned in 1994 by the federal gonverment.

[u]Effect on current legal gun owners:[/u]

None...
View Quote

Obviously this is not a legally binding document, but it does indicate the [i]intent[/i] of law.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 8:03:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Yo BuLLett/Hiramranger - that'w what's so spooky.  We got so many laws nobody that enforces them has even read half of them, and of thos that have, inperpretations are all over the spectrum.

The entire legistation thing is just so out of control we need to start by burning all the existing legislation and start from scratch.  With legislators who don't get paid ANYTHING for serving.

Wonder what the Country would look like then?  America?

You try to do the right thing, and you run into the wrong cop (whose having a bad day) and, . . .

Lke a defense attorney once told me, "just remember, no good deed ever went unpunished."

How about if the only thing illegal about a gun was to use it to commit a crime?

Naaaaaaaaaaaaaa!  That's ridiculous!  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top