Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/11/2003 11:05:09 AM EDT
I know that in order to have an 11.5" barrel, the rifle must be registered as a "pistol".  If I were interested in purchasing an 11.5" upper, what would I have to do to make it legal?  Would I have to re-register the lower?  Any help would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 11:58:39 AM EDT
[#1]
No you can just make it a SBR (Short Barreled Rifle) and your local Class 3 dealer will have all the paper work to help you out and even give some CLEOs who are willing to sign off on your stamp.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 12:22:21 PM EDT
[#2]
thanks dev
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 12:44:16 PM EDT
[#3]
If the lower you use was stripped when it left the factory, you can make a pistol out of it and not run afoul of the NFA.  As far as I can tell, paying extra to get a lower registered as a pistol is BS.

The above point is very important because in the eyes of the ATF, if you start with a lower that had a stock at one time and place a sub-16" barrel on it, the result is an SBR [b]even if you remove the stock[/b].

I would just get a letter from the factory stating that the lower left stripped to be on the safe side.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 1:24:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm not planning to get an 11.5" barrel soon, I just wanted to know how to go about it if I do decide to get one in the future.  I think I'm going to get Bushmaster's new Carbon 15 pistol when it comes out.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 3:09:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top