Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/7/2003 11:40:25 AM EDT
I noticed today that I can actually grab the gasblock on my flot-top upper and MOVE IT back and forth about 1/16" (approximately). Is this a bad thing and can it affect the functioning of my rifle? Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure my warranty has expired on it so is it something I can repair myself?
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 12:04:43 PM EDT
[#1]
The gas block shouldn't move.  Is it a pinned front sight or one of the rail type blocks?  If it's pinned, it would indicate that the pins have enlarged the cuts in the barrel in which case it would need to be drilled for larger diameter pins - if it is a rail type, they are usually held in place with a set screw so try to tighten it.  

Whatever the type, you will be losing a degree of gas from the block but not enough to cause a malfuction, just keep your hand away from the gas block when firing.  

Even if the warranty is out, I would imagine the manufacturer would take care of this.  
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 5:53:32 AM EDT
[#2]
I have an aluminum gasblock on a flat top...
It blew off after the first couple pops. Nice!
I drilled the set screw holes to a bigger size, tapped them accordingly, and used longer set screws. They stick out a little, but the gas block does not budge.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 1:29:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, thanks for the replies. I found the problem WAS in fact a loose set screw on the bottom of the gasblock. The funny thing is that there are two places for them but only one is drilled out. Should I put some Loctite Blue on the screw and torque it down or should I drill out and tap the other hole?
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 11:16:21 PM EDT
[#4]
use the other hole also
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 6:17:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Loctite as well.  Not a bad thing!  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top