Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/7/2003 9:49:57 AM EDT
i just bought a new rock river arms flat top 16 inch barrel. love the gun. shoots 1/1/4 group 100 yards with my armalite 1 piece scope mount and a 2.5 x 10 x 50 simmons pro 50 scope. i have been shooting 200,300 400 yards just to see what it would do. man 300 yards is a long way off!!!!!. i will be using this gun for coyote hunting. i know 300 yards is going to be a luck shot with this short barel but i like the gun being so light and easy to swing. QUESTION.......... I SEE A 10 X 40 X50 TASCO SCOPE on ebay for 159.00 new in the box. would i be nuts putting this big scope on this 16 inch flat top ???? i a 43 with glasses and dont see as good as i use to. i was shooting my bolt with a 6 x 24 on it the same day last week and guys it is so much nicer at that 24 power setting at 100,200,300 yards. just think what 40 power would be. do you you think i could hold the ar15 still enough free handed to kill a coyote running with it on high power ? your thoughts please. thanks. marty
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 9:56:41 AM EDT
[#1]
I have used a Leupold 6.5x20 for 8 years on a 16" Colt H-Bar upper (with a J-P muzzle recoil eliminator) for shooting prairie dogs.  There are a LOT of PDs that wish I hadn't put that scope on my AR!  Go for it!.   -TriggerFish
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 10:08:17 AM EDT
[#2]
You'd be nuts to put a scope from Tasco on it...

YMMV....

Find a 20x Super Sniper if you want more mag and a good value.

Ed
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 10:11:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I made that decision once,  I "HAD" a tasco & it was not up to par.  Your gun is only as good as your optics...

Prosise  
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 10:48:06 PM EDT
[#4]

[url]http://community.webshots.com/photo/33970072/34228782MDmlSa[/url]

martyd:
I have the 10-40x50 on my .223 sav competition target model rifle. I love it,  p-dogs at 500 + yards is not much of a problem it shoots 1.5 to 3" groups depending on lite winds and mirage.
This scope was made in taiwan and the japan made scopes tend to be even better. It used to be on my custom 25-06 until i put a 12-60x56 tasco custom shop on the 25-06. but then i may be the last and only tasco fan left on the planet. my opinion is that you you will prob like it . Was the one your looking at indicate were it was made?
gj [frag]

PS. bushnell has bought tasco as for service quality that remains an unknown.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 10:53:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Tasco went out of business, and the warranty is gone.

I say its a no-go.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 11:11:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Tasco is bouight out by Bushnell, another excellent company so they might honor the the Tasco Warranty.

I have never had a problem with a Tasco Scope.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 1:05:22 AM EDT
[#7]
You would never in any circumstances be able to see running with the scope at 40x. Give up on that idea.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 7:50:33 AM EDT
[#8]
I would heartily recommend a bushnell 3200 or 4200 eilite.  Exceptional optics at a great price.

I have one sitting on my 308 pss, and I'm taking it off to replace my leupold on my ar10T.

It's that good.

Check out [url]www.swfa.com[/url] for your best deals.

you might also check out [url]www.bearbasin.com[/url].  They afe similar to swfa, but not a site supporter, so you know where to check first.

I would avoid the tasco, you could get a good leupy for slightly more.

Nikon also makes decent optics.

Good luck

TXL
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 11:28:42 AM EDT
[#9]
[b]TxLewis:[/b]

A leupy for slightly more ???????????????????
And 40 power, how much slightly more?????

For my interpitation of slightly more i would certianly  buy one,or more and replace every tasco i have for slightly more.

Can you give me more info as to where?

[email][email protected][/email]
gj. [frag]
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 12:10:04 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a Simmons 44 mag on my varmint AR and it's great out to 400 yards and that's shooting P-dogs.  BUT, my dad has a Trash-co and he can't see crap when he's got the power turned all the way up and looking at stuff far away.  The earlier post is true, from what I've heard, that it makes a difference where your tasco was made... but I wouldn't take the gamble especially since they're unsupported and out of business.  You can get the 6-24x44 scope that I have for what you're paying for the trashco.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 5:26:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Trashco = POS. Give it a pass. Get a new Bushnell Legends, a Weaver Classic or Grand Slam, or a Leupy.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top