Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 5/27/2003 4:30:45 PM EDT
Ok, I just got my Samco M33's in and well - taking off the old handguards was easy. Putting these M33's on was NOT. It took my 2 hours to get these darn things on my M-4. I tried very hard not to touch the gas tube (trying not to bend it, etc...) but man - for the life of me could not get these handguards on. Finally I got them on but they are a little crooked. Is there some kind of trick to this??? What a pain!
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 5:00:59 PM EDT
I recently saw a tool for removing/installing handguards but if I have trouble I get help. It goes much easier if you have 2 hands to hold the delta ring and 2 for handling the hanguards.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 5:53:22 PM EDT
First tape up your delta ring to help prevent scratching. Then, one at a time, pull down on one side of the delta ring and remove/install one handguard, then the other side.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 6:06:42 PM EDT
As soon as my girlfriend sees me messing with my handguards she gets mad. She knows I'll need help. Things always turn into an argument. Over time the spring will loosen over time.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 6:08:04 PM EDT
thanks for the advice guys, although I already scratched my delta ring (boohoo) - next time (I hope there is not a next time) i'll know how to do this correctly. I'm just nervous i'm gonna mess something up...thanks
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 6:24:05 PM EDT
M4WU Let me guess...Bushmaster...right? Had the same problem with two of mine. I bought the tool but it didn't help, just ended up bending the crap out of it. Get someone to help you next time, and insist that you position the grips, while the other person pulls the delta ring. You will be surprised how easy it is !! DILBERT_556
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 6:59:39 PM EDT
I have the FS M44's on my Armalite. They were majorly more difficult to put on than the originals were to take off. I believe they must make their units about a mm longer than stock or something. Luckily I had someone who has done quite a few and did them for me.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 9:57:07 PM EDT
If you play around with your handguards as much as I do, then get you one of these. Your hands and your penis will thank you for it. [:D] [url]http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/handguards/hgd-tool.asp[/url]
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 4:05:33 PM EDT
Originally Posted By MarineNP: If you play around with your handguards as much as I do, then get you one of these. Your hands and your penis will thank you for it. [:D]
View Quote
DAMN WHY DIDN'T YOU SPEAK UP EARLIER!!!! Seriously though, I had to take a rubber mallet to knock the handguards into place. I was nervous I was going to either break the delta ring or bend the gas tube. I was sweatin' like mad. For 2 1/2hrs mind you!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [brick]
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 4:08:04 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Dilbert_556: M4WU Let me guess...Bushmaster...right? Had
View Quote
actually it was a Colt Match Target M-4. Ohhhhh it made me so mad! My hands are still sore today!!!! If I do plan on replacing the handguards again I'm buying that tool from Bushy.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 4:17:16 PM EDT
Homemade handguard removal tool. Parts: 2 drumsticks or dowels 2 cable ties 1.Thread one tie through the ejection port, magazine well and over the top of the receiver and connect it so it forms a loose loop. 2.Connect the drumsticks at the ends with the second cable tie forming a nutcracker. 3.Add a little duct tape to the sticks where they contact the delta ring. 4.Push tied end of sticks thru the loop which acts as a fulcrum. 5.Squeeze sticks together on detla ring and depress ring toward receiver. 6.Remove handguards. 7.Cut cable ties and discard. 8.Play drums.
Top Top