Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 5/22/2003 6:31:20 PM EDT
I would like to change out an A1 Upper to a Flat Top and keep the Same Barrel?
Is this something any Monkey Can do if they get a Barrel Wrench and a torque wrench?
What Ya Think?
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 7:05:06 PM EDT
Originally Posted By fell-off-the-truck: I would like to change out an A1 Upper to a Flat Top and keep the Same Barrel? Is this something any Monkey Can do if they get a Barrel Wrench and a torque wrench? What Ya Think?
View Quote
I fit the "monkey" description, and I've done this several times. Besides the barrel wrench and torque wrench you mentioned, you'll need a receiver block to hold the reciever (without crushing or marring it) while you loosen/tighten the barrel nut. Otherwise, I think that's just about it. Maybe a roll pin punch to take out the pin holding the gas tube in the front sight base. (You need to remove this before turning the barrel nut.)
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 8:13:27 PM EDT
[url=ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=153601]Barrel Installation[/url]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 8:13:43 PM EDT
It's easy. The receiver block is a better way to go. I never use the barrel blocks anymore. you'll need a solid bench and vice. Receiver block, barrel wrench, small punch and hammer to remove gas tube. borrow a torque wrench from a gear head or biker buddy if you don't have one. It's a real easy job.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 6:05:01 AM EDT
Derek has all the right tools listed. YES, Action block. I use barrel vise jaws only for changing flash hiders and comps. Once you see this done, you will say, is that all there is to it?
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 8:07:07 AM EDT
If you mail it to Bushmaster and buy their upper they will swap em for free.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 7:08:28 PM EDT
I took my Colt to a gunsmith who charged me $40 dollas to do it.Like the A-3 better than the A-2.
Top Top