Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 5/22/2003 7:32:05 AM EDT
Am thinking about ordering a .22 upper for my DPMS. Anybody have any goods or bads to talk about.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 7:59:23 AM EDT
Best purchase of any Ar accessory you will ever make. I put about 500 rounds a week through my converted upper. Cost of ammo, about $9.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 8:44:45 AM EDT
Anyone know how the Bushmaster .22 conversion is that they sell? I've been thinking about getting some type of .22 for my AR but not sure which one.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 9:38:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/22/2003 9:48:08 AM EDT by mrostov]
Seems that all of the .22LR 'uppers' use a .22LR adapter like the Ceiner with a dedicated barrel with a 1:16 twist. Most use the Ceiner, but Compass Lake uses the Army M261 kit (they evidently bought up all of them on the market). I just use a .22LR Ceiner kit in my regular AR. They cost $140. My CAR-15 heavy barrel has a 1:9 twist but the rifle I use the most has a lightweight 20" M16A1 barrel with a 1:12 twist. I find that the accuracy out of both rifles is really good. IMHO, I consider a Ceiner kit to be an absolute must have for any AR owner. Mine goes anywhere I take the rifle and when hunting small game I usualy use the AR with the Ceiner in it vs a regular .22LR rifle. Some people worry about leading un the gas port, but that problem pretty much goes away if you use .22LR ammo with plated bullets. Just so happens that the best .22LR ammo for the money, and the ammo my Ceiner likes the best, is the 550 round copper plated HVHP Federal rounds that Walmart sells for $9 a box. One of the big differences between just buying the Ceiner kit versus a dedicated upper is that the Ceiner right out of the box usually needs to be reworked to make it perform well. When you buy a dedicated upper, the .22LR adapyter in it is usually already tweaked to make it work better. To fix mine I shimmed up the extractor spring, deburred and mildly reshaped the extractor claw, polished the feed ramp and chamber, and lapped in the recoil spring retaining pin. [URL]http://www.22lrconversions.com/atch-pg.htm[/URL]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 9:44:48 AM EDT
go to www.jgsales.com they got a 16" complete upper half dedicated for 320, and federal 36gr hollow points for about $9 a box of 520. Shoot that whole box and you just saved yourself $200 in amunition.. AFTER including the cost of the upper! Killer deal.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 10:16:26 AM EDT
ARS10, your math is a little off. Yes over time using the 22 ammo will pay off over the .223 ammo 1000 rounds of .223 approx 150 - 170 bucks for some good stuff & and .22 ammo runs 18$ thou. so I would say the savings is about 130 per 1000 rounds. would take about 3000 rounds to break even. whata think?? Badredfish [devil]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 2:40:41 PM EDT
I have a CLE 20" Service Rifle upper for serious stuff and a KKF 16" flattop carbine upper for fun. The Ceiner ran flawlessly but I didn't like the fact that you couldn't lock the bolt back. I started using the M261 conversion kit with no change in accuracy. Match223
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 11:11:31 AM EDT
Basically you have 4 options: 1. Conversion kit only. Pro is it's only about $140 and available from lots of places. Con is that accuracy isn't real good, and it gets the gun pretty dirty. 2. Conversion kit + dedicated upper. Pro is that you get a proper .22LR barrel w/o gas system to blow stuff into of the upper, and you can get any config you want. Con is the price: $450-1000 for the upper + $140 more for the kit. 3. DPMS dedicated upper. Pro is it's only $400 or so for the complete upper and comes ready go go with a proper barrel. Con is that it's only one config and no iron sights. No hi-caps either. 4. CZ dedicated upper. Pro is that it's only $320 and comes ready to go. Con is that spare mags are pretty expensive compared to the others, and it has a side charging handle so it doesn't quite match the regular manual-of-arms for the AR. Also one config only, but it has iron sights. No hi-caps. I've not heard too much about the DPMS upper, good or bad. If that config is suitable to you, I can't see a reason not to get it, unless you want to go for the CZ instead. There's a thread on the CZ running right now in the Rimfire & Pistol Caliber forum. Ianq, the kit Bushmaster is selling is the Ciener conversion. There's a thread on them running in the Rimfire & Pistol Caliber forum too. badredfish, I figured I save about 13 cents a shot by shooting a .22 vs a .223 so it'd take about 1100 shots to pay off the $140 kit. A $320 CZ upper would take about $2500, and a $400 DPMS upper about 3100 shots.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 9:01:37 AM EDT
a 22 conversion is the best accessory you can get...I have a DPMS upper that is great. it works flawlessley with anyyhing you feed it....It's a bit heavy and optical sites only.....I also have a Ciener conversion that I use in my M4gery...it likes solid tipped rounds...with both units you have to spend a little more time cleaning...22's are filthy....
Top Top