Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/21/2003 1:04:15 PM EDT
Does anyone out there have the Bushmaster superlight carbine?  If you do, how do you like it and how accurate is it.  I looked at one at my local FFL dealer and it is incredibly lite.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 1:39:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I had Bushmaster replace my 16" hbar with the new lightweight and replaced the a2 stock with the ARFX skeleton stock and it is GREAT! A very lightweight and easy to handle weapon. I can not tell any change in the accuracy but I'm not the world's best shot.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 9:51:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I got the superlite with the stubby stock, which was too short. I had the A2 stock put on instead. It is very much now like my preban Colt Sporter Lightweight.
 The thing is as accurate as my BM Shorty, but the barrel gets hotter faster. The handguards are different than my Shorty. They are a little bit thicker, have 7 vent holes vs 6 on the shorty.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 4:01:46 AM EDT
[#3]
When my Bushy Hbar upper comes back from Kurt with the barrel turned to LW dimensions and a FFS/T installed I may give mixing handguards a shot to see if I make it heat up my hand slower.

Unless it looks like mismatched crap because the Colt handguards appear to be made better than the Bushy, I'm going to try mating a BM lower half with its covered holes with a Colt upper half with its open holes to see if I can encourage the heat to escape through the upper handguard and away from my hand.

Then again, I may be missing a simple law of physics or something and the idea is totally worthless...
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 4:10:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Everything I have read says that the M4 hand guards which are an $20 upgrage when buying an upper from Bushmaster are much better at beating the heat.  For $39.00 you might want to try them.  I plan to get a set of M4 handguards for my Bushy M4 profile upper.  I figured that heat would be a problem with that thin barrel.  My father (a Korean War Vet) told me that you can shoot the rifling out of a barrel if you get it too hot.  Although I imagine the range is a long way from the battle field and one would probably be hard pressed to get the super lite that hot.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 4:36:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Stewart, you're correct about the M4 handguards.

I have them on my Colt 16" HBar.

As a matter of personal preference, I think they look out of proportion with the skinny LW barrel.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 4:57:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I think they look out of proportion with the skinny LW barrel.
View Quote

Man, that's the truth!

StewartTR, the BM superlight is a sweet configuration! Perfect if you expect to be carrying it around for a while. It's just as accurate as any other carbine Bushy makes.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 7:32:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Got my superlightweight about a month ago..
sweeeeeet!!!.. you will be extremely happy with
it..
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 5:40:06 AM EDT
[#8]
I finally saw a set of M4 handguards in person.  I agree they look strange even on a normal barrel.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 12:10:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I got the superlite with the stubby stock, which was too short. I had the A2 stock put on instead.
View Quote

Did you have to change the buffer tube when you went to the A2 stock?
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 5:11:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Unless someone makes some type of adapter screws you would have to change the buffer tube because the screws that attach the stock to the buffer would not be long enough.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 8:03:12 AM EDT
[#11]
When i ordered my M4 upper from bushy (full length no muzzle brake), i had them install their 139.99 BMAS 4 rail handguard, which is the same one that comes standard on their 25th anniversary carbine.
True, i had to buy 9 of their rubber grips, but the resulting weapon has a free floated barrel, and looks incredible.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 8:22:05 AM EDT
[#12]
My Bushy superlight upper gets a a thumbs up from me. I used standard carbine handguards and M16 surplus stock (I like A1 length). The standard (skinny) handguards seem to work fine. I have M4 handguards on two other rifles and not all M4 handguards are created equal. To really beat the heat you have to get the kind with the double heat shield inside.

Look for my superlight in an upcoming issue of SWAT - a friend did an urban Flectarn camo job on it and used it for an article.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 9:19:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I got the superlite with the stubby stock, which was too short. I had the A2 stock put on instead.
View Quote

Did you have to change the buffer tube when you went to the A2 stock?
View Quote

Wildcat,
 The tube, buffer and spring were all replaced.

Randy
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 11:03:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Like you guys, I was all hellbent on a superlight setup too...
Bought the barrel assy and threw it on one of my AR's.
It is light as hell.

BUT...

You guys realize it has the same profile as the old SP1 carbines ???

I actually took the barrel back off, and replaced it with a 20" SP1 barrel.
Can't tell much difference in weight, but I've got a much more accurate rifle now with 4" more barrel, more velocity, and a longer sight radius...

The trade-offs just don't seem worth it to me for the sake of 4"...

For you guys with postban rifles, I strongly recommend the Cav Comp muzzlebrake.
Get a preban barrel chop off the bayo lug, and screw/pin the CavComp on...
Nice clean installation, and awesome muzzlebrake.
No muzzle jump at all with Q3131A ammo...

Just my personal preference.
My opinion has a tendency to change on a weekly basis.[:D]
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 1:41:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Double heat shields will keep the heat off your hands, but also hold it in by the barrel.  Some have suggested a double-shielded M4 on the bottom to protect your hand and a regular CAR with open holes on top to let the heat out.  Would probably look kinda funny though.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top