Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2003 8:25:19 AM EDT
I have found a pre-ban upper for my ar-15 in a 20 inch length. The seller says it is manufactured by current military contractor.
Who holds the current military contract for manufacturing? I was told it is bushmaster, but i'm not sure. For under $300 without bolt carrier assembly and charging handle, is this a good deal. My pre-ban lower needs a mate and i also have the bolt carrier assembly and charging handle, all of which is bushmaster.
Thanks gentlemen for your help.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 8:30:47 AM EDT
[#1]
The current military contractors are
Colt and FN.
Are there any marks on the upper ?

Link Posted: 5/21/2003 9:27:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Colt has the contract, and maybe FN has one too.  Anyways, the seller should have told you it was a Colt upper instead of saying "it is manufactured by a current military contractor".  That is just bad business to me.  However, if it is a Colt and it is in good condition, even if stripped, then that is still a good deal.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 9:47:24 AM EDT
[#3]
If it's a standard 20" barrelled A2 type upper, the only current military contractor is FN, and they cannot sell any of their products on the  civilian market.

On the other hand, it could concievably be a Colt civilian produced product.  They are a "government contractor" even tho their current government contract is for M4 carbines.

You'll really have to find the markings on the upper reciever and barrel, and post them here, for anyone to be able to help you answer the question.  One thing is sure, if the barrel has no markings on it, in front of the sight base, it WAS NOT made by a government contractor. The upper reciever should also have a forge mark on it somewhere around the rear sight area.  While it won't neccessariky ID the manufacturer, it should help to pinpoint whether or not it was amde by a  Government contractor[:D]

Link Posted: 5/21/2003 9:48:54 AM EDT
[#4]
These upper can be seen at galatiinternational.com
These uppers are available in pre and post ban configurations in various lengths. Should they be avoided or what. No FFL is needed as it is a replacement part (upper). How would my bushy lower make it behave, anyone mated this combo?
Any feedback as a result of experience is greatly appreciated! Hell, or just plain speculation will do also. Thanks folks!
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 9:55:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Sounds like the BS that FAC (Federal Arms Corp) puts out.

The barrel is NOT GI / mil-spec.  The upper receiver itself MAY (and I stress the 'may') be from a contractor that supplies parts to FN, Colt (and IIRC there is a company in the mid-west that supplied A2 upgrade kits to the AF so they could upgrade their A1s to A2s).

Its no better than buying an upper from J&T, Model 1, or any of the other parts vendors.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 10:19:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Just got off the phone. Pre-ban 16 inch m4 a3 upper with bayonet lug and threaded barrel upper is milspec shipped for $359.90 The person i spoke to said they don't divulge who the maker is, but with a  30 day money back guarantee less shipping, I can send it back if it turns out to be a bullsh-t upper. I'm just starting to cover my ass in case the AWB gets renewed. Maybe i'm starting late, but i'm covering a lot of territory. Thanks folks!
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 10:31:51 AM EDT
[#7]
The website says "Model 1 Sales", I would guess they would be from them.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 11:02:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Wow, let's hope Model1Sales isn't a current military contractor ;-)

Edited to add that, yes it does look like these are Model1Sales uppers, check out their own website and compare the models:

[url]http://www.model1sales.com/subcats.cfm?Category=02[/url]

You can read more about this company in the
"Build It Yourself" area and make up your own mind, but rest assured this is nothing close to a Colt.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 12:54:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Just got off the phone. Pre-ban 16 inch m4 a3 upper with bayonet lug and threaded barrel upper is milspec shipped for $359.90 The person i spoke to said they don't divulge who the maker is, but with a  30 day money back guarantee less shipping, I can send it back if it turns out to be a bullsh-t upper. I'm just starting to cover my ass in case the AWB gets renewed. Maybe i'm starting late, but i'm covering a lot of territory. Thanks folks!
View Quote

man I hope you  didn't buy it.....what a crock of shit, "can't devulge the maker" and a verbal "contract" doesn't mean squat, plus the fact it's a 16inch upper........what he is feeding you is a big steaming plate of bullshit...... the only military contractor is FN, and like somebody else posted they don't sell their stuff to the general public, or to distrubutors. Colt only has the contract to the M4 series.

I bet it's a MODEL 1 SALES upper as they are priced in that range. and this shitbird is trying to pass it off as a military upper. if you're looking for a pre-ban upper, and want the M4 profile, detachable handle the bolt and charging handle comewith it as well...look at the RRA, I bought one and matted it to my pre-ban EAGLE ARMS lower and it looks great, real nice finish and didn't experience one FTF, FTE. it's a very very accurate upper, only had to move the rear sight 2 clicks to the left.

or for a cheaper price go with the MODEL 1 SALES....hadn't heard anything bad about their products.

but don't buy anything from the shithead that fed you that line of bullshit, fuck him. I can't stand these green teeth, inbred "gun dealers" that knownly  bold face lie to folks.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 1:25:57 PM EDT
[#10]
I can't beleive that some people are still so clueless about this! [noclue]

[url=ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=141117]are FN parts prohibited parts?[/url]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top