Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/20/2003 5:14:40 AM EDT
Does the gas tube need to be taken out for cleaning when you are cleaning you rifle? If so, how does the thing come out and what do you have to take off to get it out? Just looking for some input. Is there anywhere on the site that has diagrams or something on this procedure?
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 5:31:18 AM EDT
[#1]
ABSOLUTELY NOT!

Gas tubes are NOT cleaned! Rarely, however they are replaced.

I've never even considered taking off any of my gas tubes.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 5:39:12 AM EDT
[#2]
I was wondering the same thing.  I cleaned my rifle with JB Bore paste, and was wondering if any gut up in the tube.  Could I just flush it out with WD40 and call it good?
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 6:30:46 AM EDT
[#3]
OK. So I will not take it off. How do you know when it needs to be replaced then?
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 6:41:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
OK. So I will not take it off. How do you know when it needs to be replaced then?
View Quote

When you melt it down from firing too much, and the gun will no longer cycle the action.  Thats when you need to replace it.  In full auto with a couple of beta mags you can turn your gas tube to mush somewhere between 100-200rds.  In semi, its going to be a bit longer.  As long as you don't melt it down, you probably won't need to replace it.  I have a friend with a 30+ year old SP1 that still runs fine (with the original tube), but it isn't full auto, and he doesn't do long shooting sessions of continuous fire.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 7:00:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Does the gas tube need to be taken out for cleaning when you are cleaning you rifle? If so, how does the thing come out and what do you have to take off to get it out? Just looking for some input. Is there anywhere on the site that has diagrams or something on this procedure?
View Quote

If ya gotta know how to remove it, ya can e-mail me and I'll tell ya, but a shot of carb-cleaner, (using the little red tube that comes w/ it) down the gas-tube, will clean all fouling/carbon as well as any Sweets or whatever ya clean your bore with (that may have gotten in there while scrubbing the bore) and is something I do everytime I clean my rifle. I like the SuperTech 2000 sold by Walmart as it has none of the bad stuff in it... and it is a good bore rinse for the Sweets 7.62 bore cleaner I use.

Mike
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 4:05:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

My SP1 is still using it's original gas tube; it's never been cleaned either. 30+ years of trouble free use. It's really a non maintenance item.

Hey mr_wilson, how much SuperTech 2000 do you use to clean your car's exhaust pipe?  [:P]
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 4:08:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top