Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/19/2003 11:38:15 AM EDT
OK, so here's the story.  I have been shooting all of my life, but I never have learned how to correclty use the military sling for off hand shooting.  Where can I get the scoop on use and adjustments?
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 3:53:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Join the Army (if they still teach long range marksmanship...the Marines do for sure), or attend a match.  

There are enough people at most matches who are not shooting to help you get set up, and I have never met shooters unwilling to share what they know.  

You will need:  a shooting coat, shooting gloves, a sling, comfortable boots, and a mat.  A rifle too.  All these pieces of gear work together to help you form a stable platform.

Check the library too.  Ther may be some old marksmanship books there that the librarians have not thrown out as being too violent.

The downtown bookstores may have books too.

At one time, up through the sixties, most high-schools had varsity shooting teams and ranges below the gym.  Times have sure changed.

Join the NRA!
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 5:48:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Try looking down the page in the [url=ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=19]Slings and other accessories[/url] forum.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 5:52:39 PM EDT
[#3]
If you go to the Fulton Armory website, I believe they have a FAQ explaining the use of the sling.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 12:50:35 AM EDT
[#4]
www.nationalmatch.us

(As you can see, AR15.com is for photos and gossip, not shooting)
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 7:08:29 AM EDT
[#5]
It's my understanding that the military sling is most useful in the supported positions, like the prone, and is pretty much useless in offhand and unsupported firing positions.  

Check out Col. Cooper's book Art of the Rifle for information on rifle shooting positions. The Fulton-Armory website has good instructions on the use and adjustments of the military sling.  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top