Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/16/2003 6:53:35 AM EDT
$330 for the RAS II.  Basically an aluminum tube with notches.  But damn cool.  Never forget the LCF.  

So I want one, and am trying to convince myself that the free floated barrel and forward grip are worth the cost.  Plus the LCF.

Any good justifiers out there?
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 6:58:08 AM EDT
[#1]
The reason it costs so much is because of the quality and precision of the unit.  Every time I have bought one of the high dollar items like a free floating foreend, after market trigger, surefire light, etc. I am amazed at the quality of the finished product.  I suggest you just go to a gunshow and look at one in person.  Its more than just rails welded to a tube.  Its kind of like justifying why an AR15 costs 3X what an AK does.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 7:03:29 AM EDT
[#2]
DevL,

Thanks for such a quick reply.  I have no doubt in the KAC product line.  I fully intend on purchasing the RAS II, but it is still a good deal of money.  Lots of good mental justification makes the credit card statement less painful.  That's how I got my TA01NSN.  Fortunately, my wife doesn't read those statements, 'cause I don't think the mental justification game works as well on her.  Must be the estrogen.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 7:07:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 7:14:50 AM EDT
[#4]
You know...I heard a good quote last night.  "On average, wives live longer than husbands because they aren't married to a woman." [:D]

I agree with DevL, the only mental justification you'll really need to to see, touch, feel one in person.  If you're lucky, you will get to see the ARMS SIR in comparison so you can have a choice.

New-arguy has a good write up which compares the different systems as well.  If you haven't read it yet, you may want to...it should help justifying the buy.

[url]www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=147348[/url]
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 7:20:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks again.  Yes, the review by New-arguy was great.  I like the slim look of the RAS II compared to the SIR, and with the new RAS design - sounds like you snap off the old handguards and basically snap on the RAS II - I think it is the top dog.

You guys are helping!
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 10:01:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
[url]appliedinc.com/railsys6.gif[/url]
View Quote

THANKS !!  Printed and filed.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 10:11:30 AM EDT
[#7]
-Cannibal, (I could be wrong about this, if I am SOMEONE please correct me!) one of the reasons I am considering the RAS II is that an ACOG "MAY NOT" work correctly ON TOP of another rail (mounted on top of the upper), it "must" be mounted directly to the UPPER.  I gathered this from some problems another member was having with a TA01 mounted on an ARMS # 38 rail.  Does any one know FOR SURE if this is a true happening?  Thanks!  -William

EDITED TO ADD:  I emailed Wes at MSTN and the ACOG on ANY rail isn't a big issue, as the ACOG was made for the carrying handle, so a less than an inch rail lifting it can be adjusted for.  But like others have mentioned, the "cheek-weld" & "Sight-picture" may be more comfortable without having to put your CHIN on the buffer tube to aim.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 10:30:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Sometimes when I am trying to justify an expensive item I just sit back and think...

The whole reason I have a job is to provide for my family and myself.  Having money left over once they are taken care of, as well as our future, allows you to buy things (luxuries) to help offset the "burden" of knowing you'll have to work most of your adult life.

If you want something buy it!  Just don't put yourself in a bind doing so.  I can't imagine regretting buying something high quality.  I regret buying something cheaply made and having to replace it more than anything.  You will not be disappointed with either the Knight's or ARMS systems.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 8:52:11 PM EDT
[#9]
There are a few newer style SIRs that are not as beefy as the original, like the ARMS #46 and #50. Give them a look. They all snap on just like the RAS II does. They still have the wild look to them, so if you are looking for something a little more traditioinal, the RAS II will fit the bill.

ACOGs work fine on top of SIRs. There is a slight difference in the bullet drop compensation. How bad it is depends on your barrel, load and mount. But for the most part, the difference will be smaller than you can detect until you start getting out past 400 yards or so.

If you want it, buy it. Otherwise whatever else you get, you will always have in the back of your mind you wished it were something else.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 9:12:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
$330 for the RAS II.  Basically an aluminum tube with notches.  But damn cool.  Never forget the LCF.  

So I want one, and am trying to convince myself that the free floated barrel and forward grip are worth the cost.  Plus the LCF.

Any good justifiers out there?
View Quote

I seem to be able to justify best to myself !!

However, what else are you going to attach your laser, light, vertical grip, PAQ-4c, etc., on to ??
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 9:35:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
-Cannibal, (I could be wrong about this, if I am SOMEONE please correct me!) one of the reasons I am considering the RAS II is that an ACOG "MAY NOT" work correctly ON TOP of another rail (mounted on top of the upper), it "must" be mounted directly to the UPPER.  I gathered this from some problems another member was having with a TA01 mounted on an ARMS # 38 rail.  Does any one know FOR SURE if this is a true happening?  Thanks!  -William
View Quote

Its not THAT big a deal as far as the bullet drop.  For me the bigger deal is not being able to lay my cheek on the stock and use the scope as it was intended.  I find it VERY annoying to have to hold my head in an upright hover to use the scope, however slight that hover may be.  I want to lay my cheek on the stock with eyes close d and open them and have a perfect sight picture just like I do with iron sights. This is not an AK and I sold my AK because of a lack of ergonomics.  I will be damned if I will spend the kind of ridiculous cash my rifle cost and not have it be "perfect".  I think the SIR looks "cooler" though and tried any way possible to justify it over a KAC foreend but in the end I had to go with what worked best FOR ME. YMMV
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 11:45:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Feedingcannibal

I have been trying to justify one myself

1) it adds weight - aprox 11oz
2) it gets hot
3) I don't have anything to clamp on it
4) my ammo (Q3131a) is the limmiting factor in my rifles inherent accuracy so free floating would not help that much
5) my rifle is more accurate than me under practical defensive conditions so free floating probably wont help

I'd just buy more ammo
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top