Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/15/2003 5:06:53 AM EDT
Hey there to all. I have a Bushmaster Shorty that I'm thinking about replacing the original handguard with one with rails for accessories.

Do do you take the old off and put the new on and is there only one way to do it. I'm assuming that the ring between the guard and the receiver slides back but it doesn't LOOK like it will go back far enough to get it off and the new on. Just want to know what I'm getting into before I purchase them.

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 5:33:24 AM EDT
[#1]
A check of the EE (equipment exchange) will get ya a tool, but if ya got decently strong fingers ya can remove your own, without the tool. Just work on one at a time, (I usually remove the top first, but don't think it matters).

Press slip ring all the back, hold there w/ thumb and index finger of strongest hand, work one edge out w/ other hand, (occasionally I use a screw driver to separate the HGs) then opposite edge, pull up and off, repeat for other side.

This can be a pain at time, then sometimes it only takes a minute to do, don't get frustrated, be patient and you'll get the hang of it, or woos out and buy the tool, (alot of guys do and I'm jokin 'bout the woos part). [;)]

Mike
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 6:45:01 AM EDT
[#2]
In terms of putting on one of the rail handguards, it depends on which one you want.

Some go on just like the standard hand guard.
ex Fobus

Some you have to take off the front sight tower and any muzzle brake or flash hider and then replace the barrel nut.
ex FIRSH

And some go on like the standard hand guard, but the 2 parts are not symmetrical and attaches itself to the upper reciever.
ex SIR

Some free float and some do not.  There's lots of choices, so you have to figure out what you want and what you want to spend.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top