Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 5/12/2003 8:39:07 AM EDT
I am looking to get a flat top upper and was wondering if the varmint barrels are more accurate than say a heavy barrel with some kind of crown or is a heavy barrel flat top with front site just as accurate I would like to use it on groundhogs and some target shooting just thought I would ask the experts. Now where can I get an affordable flat top upper that shoots good
Thanks Mike
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 9:42:46 AM EDT
The most accurate out of the box AR barrel is the Olympic Arms Ultramatch, no contest.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 9:51:51 AM EDT
I have the standard chrome lined 20" H Bar Bushmaster (V-Match upper) and it shoots near 0.25 MOA. I reckon thats good enough for varmints!
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 9:54:29 AM EDT
Barrel weight, or contour, by itself has zero effect on the accuracy of a barrel. Thicker barrels resist heating longer than a thin barrel, but they also disipate heat more slowly. With that said, if you're looking for a barrel for a flat top varmint rig it kinda' depends on how much money you want to spend. Not personally familiar with the Ultramatch, but I've seen very good results with the Bushmaster V Match and Varminter barrels. You can also go the custom route with barrels from Douglas, Krieger, etc. The most accurate "factory" barrel I've personally seen is a Bushy Varminter that put the first 5 shots after break in into .088" at 100 yards.
Top Top