Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/11/2003 1:51:19 PM EDT
Just came home with a BM Special Varmint. What would a good scope be for long range shooting?
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 1:54:38 PM EDT
[#1]
It all depends on how much you want to spend. Leupold and Weaver are good names that I have experience with. I sold my Weaver V24 to Scott Corder, I believe he has a Weaver V16 for sale on the EE. I liked the scope, didn't have any problems with it.

Mark
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 2:26:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Leupold is the way to go. It is the best scope I have ever used. Right now I use a 3-9 power and shoot dead on at 200 yards. I live in CO and I go for long range varmit hunting.  Muhuhaha those varmits dont stand a chance.
From my experiance i have to say go with Leupold.

---------------------
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
[50]
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 2:31:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I recommend getting a Leupold Tactical Series scope.  You may find them to be a bit pricey but they are well worth it.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 2:58:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought a Leupold VX-III 6.5-20x40 and had to return it.  It, like other high end scopes, have a longer eye relief than less expensive scopes.  On my BM Varminter, even with the armalite scope mount, had problems with too much eye relief.  I had to move my head way back to see throught he scope.  I bought a cheaper ($230) Bushnell Trophy 6-18 and it works great.  I own 3 Leupold scopes and will swear by them, but they just didn't work on my gun.

Mark
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 3:03:00 PM EDT
[#5]
If you're willing to spend the money, then Schmidt & Bender or Hensoldt are as good as if gets.  Kahles, Swaravoski, Zeiss and Leica are suberb also.

If you're limited to a an economy scope, I wouldn't go below a Nikon or Leupold.  You won't find any other low end scope with the optical quality of these two.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 3:15:00 PM EDT
[#6]
You may want at look at the Zeiss Conquest series. For the money the clarity and eye relief is exceptional and you can have a side adjustment as well.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 3:28:55 PM EDT
[#7]
For long eye relief scopes on an AR an extended rail is necessary.  My Leupold 6.5-20x50 LR sits on a GGG GS-1 rail and I have excellent eye relief.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 3:47:10 PM EDT
[#8]
I curently have a Leupold VariX-III 8.5-25x50 mounted in a armalite mount on my varminter and have adequate eye relief. A question for MNAR15 is which way did you install your armalite mount? With the above scope I have the mount installed with the extension forward extending out over the receiver. In my case the eye piece is well forward of the charging handle providing adequate eye relief from both bench and prone positions.

DanS
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 4:44:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Here's how it was mounted. I make custom gunstocks (maily for sporting clays shotguns), so I am familar with gun fit.  I measured that I needed another two inches for the proper eye relief.  The bushnell had 1.7" less eye relief, so its just about right.  I think an extended rail would have been the only thing to fit properly, or I could hold my head back to compensate.  I use the gun for long range targets and P-dogs, I wanted a gun I could quickly find the scope picture without having to adjust as I mount.

Mark Nagel

[img]http://webpages.charter.net/marknagel/AR15V.jpg[/img]

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top