Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 10:00:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Hmmm....where do I start.  

I suppose with ammo expenditure.  There's no reason to shoot that much to remain proficient.  I shoot 50 rounds each of 7.62x51, 5.45 and .22 weekly, and it takes a while to do do it when I concentrate on marksmanship fundamentals.  You can maintain proficiency with just a .22 pistol and rifle, thereby preserving your ARs lifespan.

You mention greedy vendors.  If you already own the rifles, what are you concerned about?  I would think your primary concern at this stage would be ammo and some small parts replacement due to wear&tear.

I presently own MANY AK 74s.  I bought them when I sold my AR prebans.  They are good, dependable weapons that I have no intention of ever selling, so I don't fault you for moving into them.  

Me? I'm expanding back into ARs again.  

I will tell you I got bored with them, as I've been shooting them since 1974, mostly during my twenty years in the Corps.  

Now I'm mostly interested in precision, which is why I'm getting a couple of Bushy v-matches.

Go figure.

I regret I sold my Bushy preban in the first place.

Jim
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 10:18:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I completey agree with Omar.

I used to shoot 100 to 150 rounds alone when I did 5" at 100 yards with iron sights no support except slings.

Although I need to work on my arms and breathing, after my posture improved, now I'm constantly doing about 3 to 3.5" groups (20 rounds) with a red dot, unsupported with Q3131A and regular Bushy. This is not probably OK by ARFCOM standards, but honestly I think I'm fine as far as hitting COM goes in self-defense situations.

Guess how much I shoot now? I only shoot 40 to 50 rounds a week, and I started going everyother week instead of everyweek. (mainly due to showers, grr)

When you start to have confidence that you ARE indeed improving, you start to shoot a lot less.

Well if you are a kind of person who just wants to shoot a lot then this may not apply to you. Why don't you play some games while you save $$$ for ammo?
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 10:21:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

This is not probably OK by ARFCOM standards......

View Quote

I can't hold an M-16 in my teeth and shoot 1" groups at 1000 meters either !!
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 12:02:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Go ahead and do what you want confederate personage. AK's are great guns and can be great fun. AR's are too expensive and have been for a long time......especially for "squirrel guns". The folks here are addicted just as bad as if it were crack cocaine and as such, lose perspective. I've been guilty of that concerning AR's too. Just because the US military and some civy addicts have descended into small bullet delusional hell doesn't mean you have to. 30 CAL!!!!!!!! It's what won WWII and Korea!!!!!!! 223......adequate at times but theres this nagging teensy weensy bullet feeling...lots of 223 shooters have this feeling which is why they are going to 75 and 100 gr bullets in an attempt to make 223 something it isn't!!!!.........southeast asia!!!!!!! The AK won there after all.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 7:33:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Confederate  - sounds like you're a shooting junky.  You know, there are several good "12 step" groups that can help you overcome your addiction.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 2:24:23 PM EDT
[#6]
learning to master a new weapon is fun, shooting the same groups week after week is boring. I own 5 ARs but I'm always looking for something new to shoot. I just ordered a krebs custom ak103k and i can't wait. I have Hk 93, Styer Aug and galil that i love to shoot as much as my Ars. Some are harder to get good groups but you can do it. My drill sarg. from 17 years ago said any idiot can shoot an M16. Learning new things and moving on is part of life.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 2:40:49 PM EDT
[#7]
i bet if he said a G36 everybodies attitude would change...LOL
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 3:11:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Sorry to hear about your decision but to tell you the truth I understand it for I've been there and done that.  

I think those of us that have been shooters all our lives go through the same thought process which is basically how can I take care of my shooting jones and not go broke.

I took it so far as to get totally into black powder rifles.  You can go to the range spend four hours measuring for that just right load and bullet combination.  Spend four to five hours and go home with money in your pocket and you still enjoyed shooting a .50 caliber bullet.  Same thing with the C&Rs I own, low cost ammo, outstanding shooter, and your shoulder can only take so much at one time.

It's the same reasoning that I went with my Saiga AK varient and SKS.  After a while, I began to realize it's not just the shooting I like but what I shoot.  I then sought a balance between what I shoot, how much I spend, and how much I shoot.  I think all of us are this way to a point or this would be called Ruger10/22.com.

I guess what I'm saying is good luck and we'll catch you on the rebound but this time you will be taking an AK and AR to the range!

You're not strange or even stupid. What we call the "Black Rifle Fever" is just another form of the "Shooters Fever".
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 5:55:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Too expensive a mouth to feed? Why not simply buy a .22LR coversion like someone else said, or better yet, buy a 9mm upper! Even us broke folks can afford to shoot 200 9mm's at today's prices! As for the AK vs. AR argument, I am sick of hearing about it. Everyone bitches and moans because they want to think that what they have is better than what other people have. The only ones who don't fall into this nonsense are those of us who actually own both rifles! Those who don't own an AK, and claim that they suck, have most likely shot a poor example of the rifle. For some reason someone is always trying to compare a $300 AK clone to a $700 AR-15!??  There are accurate AK's out there, it's just that most of them are 5.45 or 5.56 AKs! True the 7.62x39 isn't as accurate, but it does its job for a combat rifle!  All this nonsense about calling the AK a "spray and pray" weapon is nonsense. Sure it won't group like an AR, but at modern engagement distances, it can still hold down the fort! This damn AK versus AR makes me more sick than the whole Glock vs. SIG Sauer bull$hit!
B9
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 6:34:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 7:26:38 PM EDT
[#11]
I absolutely agree with Bori!  I, as well, own both weapon systems and wouldn't give up either.  However, I've been in the Nevada desert during silica storms, and although visibility isn't all that impaired, silica sticks and accumulates on everything fast!  I brought one of my AKs for this particular session leaving it on the ground while firing pistols and trying to get my buddies Wilson Combat AR to cycle (the action seized with silica...a total headache to clean), only to find that the AK action still cycled great with 0 malfunctions and there was caked up silica in the receiver above the bolt assembly.  It took lots of compressed air and even water to get the silica out of our guns that day. All I'm saying is if it were a survival situation, in those conditions, we both would have been happy the rifle designed to function with a handful of sand in the receiver was there with us!  Even if it only gives 3" groups at 100yds. Heh
Not that this little anecdote was entirely related to the subject, but I want to give him a little reassurance with his decision.  I still feel that both are the way to go.  Actually, both and then many others too! (-;
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 8:00:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Hey, confederate.  It sounds like you are either full of shit, or you bought a bunch of Olympic arms crap and now you're wondering why the shit doesn't work.

Either way, you're a douche bag of the first order.  Go away!
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 9:54:13 PM EDT
[#13]
You guys are BLIND!!!!!!!!!!   His crazy wife is on his ass,  He is going to take them over to his friends house..  Tell her he sold them,  show her this thread...  She will be much happier that she is training him well.  Read between the lines guys,  I understand fully  "WINK WINK"...   Sorry your selling the AR's  "WINK WINK"...   Well you take care...   If you ever want to go shooting let us know,  we would love to see your economical [s]AR15's[/s] AK's...    

Good Luck in School

Prosise
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 3:37:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Shooting an AK at the range is like dating a fat chick, sure there a lot of fun, but do you really want to be seen with them. [;}]          Good luck with whatever you decide.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 8:28:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Well, ther is the old saying that "Nothing's cheaper than what you already have" so it just does not make sense to get rid of the AR15 and take the financial hit on going to a whole new family of rifles.

Good judgement is obviously not part of this equation.  

Most members have owned or at least have examined an AK up close at one time or another.  If one appreciates ergonomics, precise engineering and craftsmanship, I can't see any advantages there either.

But some people like the Dixie Chicks, so it takes all kinds to make up this old world.

Make mine "Made in USA" please!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top