AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 9:43:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Incorrect: "LIKE I said...."
Correct:   "AS I said..."

Incorrect/redundant: "The EXACT SAME thing.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 10:12:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Incorrect: 'Where you at?'
Correct:   'Where are you?'

'Let's get down to pacifics'
('specifics' should've been used)

I've always shook my head when I hear the term "friendly fire". Just seems inappropriate.

"Same difference" /cringe

Oh and this one:

"The place's ambience was supurb and it's menu was exquisite"

It's is only used for the contraction for 'it is'

On the 'irregardless' issue- it makes my teeth buzz to hear it, but one wise-ass told me to go look it up and sure as anything webster says it's a word-

[b]irregardless[/b]

Etymology: probably blend of irrespective and regardless

Date: circa 1912

nonstandard : REGARDLESS

usage: Irregardless originated in dialectal American speech in the early 20th century. Its fairly widespread use in speech called it to the attention of usage commentators as early as 1927. The most frequently repeated remark about it is that "there is no such word." [b]There is such a word, however[/b]. It is still used primarily in speech, although it can be found from time to time in edited prose. Its reputation has not risen over the years, and it is still a long way from general acceptance. Use regardless instead.

Link Posted: 5/4/2003 10:49:58 AM EDT
[#3]
I own "Rockweilers".....    holy crap that one drives me NUTS.

LittleJacek
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 10:53:01 AM EDT
[#4]
don't forget about the Second Ammendment.  You know, that third M has to be stuck in there to make it a noun from the root of 'amend'

Link Posted: 5/4/2003 11:09:38 AM EDT
[#5]
I personally still have probelms with "affect" or "effect" in some contexts.

I also have been know to use "it's" as a possessive. My brain just wants to see an apostrophe before the "s."

People pick up language verbally - getting so upset about it is usually a sign of a need to feel superior. While I don't have problems with the other usages mentioned, I really don't give a shit about those who do.

I can't type either.

I tell you what though, stick me in a random foreign country with anybody else here and we'll see who communicates better.

I do have an AR related pet peeve: the Bolt Carrier Group is NOT THE BOLT, it simply INCLUDES the bolt. I have been told to "remove the bolt from my rifle," only to get yelled at for doing so. Morons.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 11:55:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I also have been know to use "it's" as a possessive. My brain just wants to see an apostrophe before the "s."

People pick up language verbally - getting so upset about it is usually a sign of a need to feel superior. While I don't have problems with the other usages mentioned, I really don't give a shit about those who do.

I can't type either.

I tell you what though, stick me in a random foreign country with anybody else here and we'll see who communicates better.

I do have an AR related pet peeve: the Bolt Carrier Group is NOT THE BOLT, it simply INCLUDES the bolt. I have been told to "remove the bolt from my rifle," only to get yelled at for doing so. Morons.
View Quote

Getting upset about sloppy communication is due to a need to feel superior?  That's a pretty sweeping generalization.  Be pacific. [:D]

At work it's very difficult when people are sloppy when they speak or write.  It costs our customer money and makes others think less of your abilities.  That's just the way it is.  A well spoken person simply comes across as being more competent.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 12:23:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Incorrect/redundant: "The EXACT SAME thing.
View Quote

What KODoc says is an actual fact.

Noah
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 12:51:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can't type either.

View Quote

Getting upset about sloppy communication is due to a need to feel superior?  That's a pretty sweeping generalization.  Be pacific. [:D]

At work it's very difficult when people are sloppy when they speak or write.  It costs our customer money and makes others think less of your abilities.  That's just the way it is.  A well spoken person simply comes across as being more competent.
View Quote

I agree, but my experience with folks who go off about such little things is that they have plenty of their own share of mistakes they make as well. It is too often a case of the pot calling the kettle black.

Also, there is a big difference between formal business communication and casual conversation. I agree that one should strive to eliminate errors and colloquialisms from formal speech and writing.

Link Posted: 5/4/2003 1:21:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
And when you look through the scope, make sure you can see the [b]RECTICLE[/b], damnit!

Everytime I hear someone call it a "reticle" I feel like slappin' 'em.
View Quote

Sorry, dude, it's reticle.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 1:30:21 PM EDT
[#10]
how about these

"whats that car's VIN number?"
if you break it down that would be "whats that car's Vehicle Identification Number number"

or how about two in one sentence "I went to the ATM machine but forgot my PIN number"...
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 2:18:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
how about these

"whats that car's VIN number?"
if you break it down that would be "whats that car's Vehicle Identification Number number"

or how about two in one sentence "I went to the ATM machine but forgot my PIN number"...
View Quote

You arent around cops much are you? [:D]
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 2:42:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Prostate/Prostrate

I hope this doesn't require an explanation!![:D]

TT [wave]
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 3:02:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Where [slap] Where are you going?

Wear  [slap] What are you going to wear?

We're [slap] We're going to the gun show.

Were [slap] I wish we were able to go.

TT [snoopy]
View Quote

[i]We're[/i] so far off topic............that FrankSquid's going to lock this thread.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 3:17:35 PM EDT
[#14]
What have we got, alot of English perfessers?  Alot is my favorite non-word. It drives me knuts, just like muzzle break.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 3:23:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Where [slap] Where are you going?

Wear  [slap] What are you going to wear?

We're [slap] We're going to the gun show.

Were [slap] I wish we were able to go.

TT [snoopy]
View Quote

[i]We're[/i] so far off topic............that FrankSquid's going to lock this thread.
View Quote

Guilty as charged!!

IBTL!!!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHA~!!!

TT [wave]
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 3:32:19 PM EDT
[#16]
IBTL!!, ok Squidward your turn!
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 4:08:38 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm surprised none of you "loosers" have mentioned MY pet peeve!

Link Posted: 5/4/2003 5:56:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
"Same difference" /cringe
View Quote

This one shouldn't bother you as the origin of it is as a form of sarcasm.  "Hey, I heard you got married" "Nah, I'm going to prison on a life sentence."  "Same difference."
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 8:00:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'm surprised none of you "loosers" have mentioned MY pet peeve!

View Quote

Heck, that one is so common on this board that I thought it was being done intentionally. When I see it spelled that way elsewhere, I think, "is that guy also an arfcommer?"
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 8:10:56 PM EDT
[#20]
I know I have been guilty of all of the above once at the very least. I cant type to save my life and I spell even worse. On top of that I have below average grammer skills. Just know that when you see a typo or grammatical error, I'm trying hard and I still love you all!
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 8:47:39 PM EDT
[#21]
I dont recall ever noting it Neil, so you must be trying really hard before you hit submit.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 9:23:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Is anyone else here oh so tired of having one's wife addressed as being a guy?  It's endless: "Hi, my name is Brittany, and I'll be your guyses waitress."  At the door: "G'night.  Thanks for coming in you guys!"

[rolleyes]
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 10:13:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
And when you look through the scope, make sure you can see the [b]RECTICLE[/b], damnit!

Everytime I hear someone call it a "reticle" I feel like slappin' 'em.
View Quote

Sorry, dude, it's reticle.
View Quote
Then why haven't ya slapped ME?

Edited for (you guessed it) spelling.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 4:28:30 AM EDT
[#24]
How about the most mispronounced word in the world (Nucular). Iiieeeee!!! Its Nuclear dammittt!!

Other words misspelled intentionally. [;)]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top