Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/7/2003 12:40:28 PM EDT
Have you seen First Samco’s new four sided handguards for rifles and carbines?
They look cool and lets you mount anything on the four Picatinny/Weaver rails on each side.

http://firstsamco.com/catalog/catalog.php?ID=14&Category=true
Link Posted: 3/7/2003 1:09:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/7/2003 1:11:42 PM EDT by Vector_Joe]
[url]http://firstsamco.com/catalog/productdetail.php?ID=27[/url] I'd like to know how stable they are. I suppose that if you could bridge from a flat top to the rail, that it wouldn't be that bad, but for the price, I'd rather have a FIRSH.
Link Posted: 3/7/2003 2:28:55 PM EDT
I have First Samco's M33 handguards. Although they are two-sided and not four-sided, they are very stable and are reasonably priced.
Link Posted: 3/7/2003 2:54:06 PM EDT
The four sides models are very new - they are not to the distributers yet.
Link Posted: 3/7/2003 3:23:06 PM EDT
I was thinking of getting the m-33 handguard. Is it much bigger than a standard handgaurd? I've seen the new BMAS handgaurd on the 25th anniversary Bushmaster. Is it narrower than that?
Link Posted: 3/7/2003 4:09:58 PM EDT
I actually called First Samco about this and they told me they would have them by the end of the month. I really wanted something like this to put on my Bushmaster M4orgery. Since I can't easily remove the muzzle brake, I can't easily remove the front sight, so I was looking for something that just snaps in the delta rings. All I really want to do is try a vertical foregrip. I don't care if it is stable enough for optics.
Link Posted: 3/10/2003 4:17:21 AM EDT
John40mm, They are the same size as the standard carbine handguards.
Link Posted: 3/10/2003 4:47:56 AM EDT
I saw these at the shot show. I think they are an improvement over their first design. I really didnt care for the first design at all. Truth is, the rails are plastic. I'd be pretty cautious mounting anything to a plastic rail. No way I'd mount a optic to it. A light maybe. But something like a forward grip Im especially worried about. I use forward grips on two of my favorite AR's and when you get ahold of them, you tend to crank down on them pretty hard. I dont know how long a plastic rail would keep its shape. Or, how long the handgaurds would stay tight. I think if it's for a gun you dont use all that much, or is just a plinker, they'd probably serbve you well. If you view your gun as something more than that, I think I'd just keep saving and get one of the systems from Knights or ARMS.
Link Posted: 3/10/2003 9:26:27 AM EDT
Originally Posted By mchgnmike: John40mm, They are the same size as the standard carbine handguards.
View Quote
Mine are the newer M33's and they're the same size as my old M4 handguards.I use a KAC vertical grip on mine and I think the plastic on the grip would fail before the rail would.Remember these are being used everyday by the IDF.
Link Posted: 3/10/2003 9:48:55 AM EDT
You guys will probably not believe this....but, over the weekend I was on FirstSamco's website late one night. When I went to the M33 handguards (old 2 rail style), the price came up as $10.00 !!! I was so suprised that I cut/pasted it to an e-mail and sent it to a friend of mine that had bought the set-up a couple months ago. It had to be some type of computer glich, but I should have ordered about 10 sets of them and seen if they would have gave me that price.
Link Posted: 3/10/2003 10:12:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/10/2003 10:13:14 AM EDT by bushi]
Well here is a picture of the new handguards... I'd be real hardpressed to find that plastic is as sturdy as some of the other handguards. Price is also listed @ $129.99! [img]http://firstsamco.com/catalog/images/products/27/3e682b09d4052.jpg[/img] [img]http://firstsamco.com/catalog/images/products/27/3e682b09ddc95.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 3/10/2003 4:45:43 PM EDT
These sound pretty cool. Thanks for the response. Being the same size as standard hand guards, I'm definitely getting them.I sort of like the two sided one better than the four.
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 2:15:04 PM EDT
well, I got a set of the M44s. They seem to be pretty solid to me. They're no RAS II, but I'm not sure you need that unless you're mounting an optic to it. I'm just using a vertical grip and light.
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 3:58:30 PM EDT
Just got back from Gun Show today and several vendors had them. Ranges from $100- $129. Very nice.
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 4:10:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/6/2003 4:54:31 PM EDT by Lockedon]
They are solid handguards and they used the same Polymer used in many H&K weapons....VERY durable, and they promise that they can keep the zero on optics. Also they have rubber panels to cover up the rails making them the most comfortable handguards i've ever held. I've got a brand new pair for sale for $110 shipped. E-mail me if interested: Bobdoleunleashed@yahoo.com
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 4:27:07 PM EDT
These have been out for a while...Midway has 'em for $90 dealer, and a buddy just ordered a set on sale from Cheaper Than Dirt for $88, I believe. These are pretty solid, I've got them on my M4gerr, they're perfect for a light and vertical grip...although I don't know how solid the vertical grip is...looks like you could tear the one I have off the rail with some effort.
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 4:44:39 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Lockedon: ...they are [b]NOT[/b] made from [red]plastic[/red]!! They used the same [red]Polymer[/red]...
View Quote
Er...huh?
Plastic [n] (1) generic name for certain synthetic or semisynthetic materials that can be molded or extruded into objects or films or filaments or used for making e.g. coatings and adhesives.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 4:55:47 PM EDT
fine i corrected my reply to appease the picky members amongst us....hehehehe
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 7:13:10 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Lockedon: fine i corrected my reply to appease the picky members amongst us....hehehehe
View Quote
The dictionary police strike again. [;)]
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 10:50:37 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Fenian: These have been out for a while...Midway has 'em for $90 dealer, and a buddy just ordered a set on sale from Cheaper Than Dirt for $88, I believe. These are pretty solid, I've got them on my M4gerr, they're perfect for a light and vertical grip...although I don't know how solid the vertical grip is...looks like you could tear the one I have off the rail with some effort.
View Quote
Well, in the interest of science, I'll try....to tear the grip off, that is. I figure they're lifetime warrantied, so if it works, I'll just send them back and sell the new ones. Stand by. Nope, couldn't do it. I could get the whole handguard to wiggle a little bit if I applied a lot of force, but the handle is rock solid on the guard. Here's a pic:[img]http://sniper.rsvs.net/SANY0064.JPG[/img] Hey, if it winds up sucking I'll throw it in the trash and buy a KAC...and if it doesn't, I'm ahead a bit of money. No harm, no foul.
Top Top