Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/22/2002 2:47:11 AM EDT
My friend just received a Colt SP-1 circa '72 that's fired less than 200 rounds!  Pretty good deal for a pre-ban, it's brand new for the most part.  It was his father's rifle who bought it new back then.

Anyhow, he mentioned wanting to put a functioning collapsible M4/XM177 stock on this rifle, even though I told him I thought it might look silly on a standard 20" AR.  

Isn't it illegal to put a collapsible stock on an AR-15 that didn't have one originally even if it's pre-ban?  I was under the impression they were only legal as replacement on a pre-ban stock that broke.
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 3:04:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Nope its preban and verifiable preban since its a Colt, so it is perfectly legal to put a tele stock on it.

hell its a 20" but its preban so you might as well since you can!
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 3:07:56 AM EDT
[#2]
if your "friend" wants a CAR stock, get a 16" or 14.5" (with perm attached FS) Upper for it!

I set up my preban as a "entry weapon" I mean you can have all the evil features on them so you might as well!
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 6:43:23 AM EDT
[#3]
It might look wierd, but tell him to go for it.  The A2 stock never felt right for me.  The adjustable stock helps a lot in many ways.  It can make the rifle more comfortable to the user, a shorter lenght of pull makes the rifle more stable, and also allows a faster cheek weld and sight picture alignment (if you are doing tactical work with it).  Tell him to do anything he wants with that preban just cause he can.
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 1:32:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I also have a unfired pre-ban 20" Colt sporter match H-Bar which didn't come with a bayonet lug with it's original configuration. This is one of my safe rifles but I was wondering if I could replace the upper with another 20" pre-ban colt upper that has the flash hider and bayonet lug since the original configuration didn't have one. I'm never going to fire the gun, but I was just wondering if I could replace the upper.

Thanks
Leadfoot
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 3:03:06 PM EDT
[#5]
leadfoot:

According to current interpretations, yes, its a grandfathered pre-ban and is legal in any assualt weapon configuration.
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 4:00:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Robertesq1: Thanks for the information.
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 7:35:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
if your "friend" wants a CAR stock, get a 16" or 14.5" (with perm attached FS) Upper for it!

I set up my preban as a "entry weapon" I mean you can have all the evil features on them so you might as well!
View Quote

Referring to "friends" quote - It's really not me.  I just bought a Bushmaster M4gery as a Christmas gift and my first AR.  I only wish my father would have kept his guns.  He used to have a CAR-15 10" (select fire I believe).  Unfortunately, after years of service as a Green Beret he got tired of guns.  Nothing military interests him now [img]http://www.click-smilie.de/sammlung/traurig/traurig056.gif[/img]

Anyhow, thanks for the replies.  I told him already, so he's glad about the stock.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top