Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/27/2002 7:03:22 AM EDT
I am flying home to the family ranch for thanksgiving. I'm taking my AR for some fun shooting. Should I have any problems with all the ammo I'm taking. The ammo will all be in a checked bag with most of my clothing seperated from my guns as per airline instruction. I will be flying united. From montana to texas. Besides the bag weight should I have any problems? I've flown with guns lots of times but never so much ammo (estimated 400rds).
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 7:28:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Hello,
We just had a bonehead try to fly out of Hartsfield with a 9mm handgun in his carry on.
Needless to say they nabbed him and now he is in the Clayton Cty jail. Duh I forgot it was in there.. his excuse.  So your question peaked my interest. I realise you asked about checked luggage but this FAQ pretty much covers it:

Regards
Dave Bodkin
Cumming, GA.

-------------------------------------------

Q. What items are prohibited beyond the passenger screening checkpoint?
A. The FAA prohibits airlines from allowing dangerous or deadly items through the passenger screening checkpoint. Because of the subjective description of dangerous or deadly items, it is the airline's responsibility to determine what they will allow. Most airlines will prohibit items such as scissors, trade tools, and items resembling firearms.

The following are prohibited from being carried beyond the checkpoint:

Knives of any length, composition or description
Cutting instruments of any composition or description, including carpet and box cutters, (and spare blades)
Any device with a folding or retractable blade
Ice picks
Straight razors
Metal scissors
Metal nail files
Corkscrews
Baseball bats
Golf clubs
Ski poles
Hockey sticks
Items which may be transported:

Walking canes
Umbrellas
Nail clippers
Safety razors
Syringes (with documentation of medical need)
Tweezers and eye lash curlers.

* Man: attacked with eye lash curler.... news at 11. Just joking folks :-)

Q. I want to carry a firearm with me on my trip. What should I do?

A. The FAA requires passengers carrying firearms in checked baggage to declare that firearm to the airline. Firearms must be unloaded, and in a lockable container suitable for air transportation and the bag is checked in at the ticket counter. In addition, we recommend that you contact your airline to determine any airline specific requirements.

Q. What is the regulation that covers the carriage of firearms?
A. Title 14, Code of Federal Regulations, Section 108.11, covers the carriage of firearms. Part 108.11 may be found on the FAA's web site at

http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/cfrhtml_00/Title_14/14cfr108_00.html.

Same goes for ammo. It must be in checked luggage there is a maximum allowed too....

Link Posted: 11/27/2002 7:35:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Just declare the item and you have to check it in.  They will ask you to show that it is unloaded.  Best bet disassemble the rifle.  They don't know what to look for.

Make sure it is in a good locked case.

Good Luck and Happy Thanksgiving.

Max
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 7:38:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Also, some airlines require that the ammo be in its original container. ie, they want to see a commercial ammo box. If your bringinig reloads, just stop by the local rifle range and snag some empty boxes from the trash. I think they told me 100 rounds per firearm was the limit but they didn't count mine.  
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 7:40:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Also, some airlines require that the ammo be in its original container. ie, they want to see a commercial ammo box. If your bringinig reloads, just stop by the local rifle range and snag some empty boxes from the trash. I think they told me 100 rounds per firearm was the limit but they didn't count mine.
 My luggage is kept in the garage where I keep all my empty brass (lots and lots of it).
It must have powder residue on it, I'm sure everything in the garage does. However, when they swiped it, nothing showed up. I was suprised...mabey all that fancy detecting gear is just all show...  
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 7:43:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the info. I know most of the regulations regarding checked guns in lockable cases etc. Have checked my rifles on most of the big commercial airlines. However, I am more interested in the problems I might have with the ammo. I have never packed more than a couple boxes, now I have close to 400rds. Most airline policy that I am familiar with states that the ammunition must be separated from the weapons. Therefore I plan on packing it in with my clothing, in my other checked bag. Hope this clarifies.
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 7:45:41 AM EDT
[#6]
 most airlines provide "Firearms" boxes, that are foam lined and clearly marked.Ask about one.
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 7:46:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Slacker, you answered my question exactly! Very much appreciated. I too was worried about powder residue but you have eased by worries. Have a happy thanksgiving.
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 7:54:24 AM EDT
[#8]
From [url=http://www.united.com/page/article/0,1360,1035,00.html]United Airlines Restricted Artcles Page[/url]

[b]Firearms
Federal regulations require that firearms in checked baggage or in their own shipping case be unloaded and declared. Firearms are not allowed in carry-on bags. Firearms in checked baggage must be packed in a hard-sided bag or gun case. A maximum of 11 lbs. of small arms ammunition is allowed in checked luggage and must be packed separately from the firearm in the original manufacturer's box or securely packed in a fiber, wood, or metal box to prevent movement of cartridges. [/b]
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 7:57:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Receiving correct answers to my questions. That is why I love this site. Thanks red-leg.
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 1:52:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
From [url=http://www.united.com/page/article/0,1360,1035,00.html]United Airlines Restricted Artcles Page[/url]

[b]A maximum of 11 lbs. of small arms ammunition is allowed in checked [/b]
View Quote

I know this is a stupid question but I just want to clearify.  5.56mm is considered amunition for 'small arms' correct?

Also, is there an age limit to be able to carry a firearm in your checked luggage or can a 15 kid flying alone have an AR-15 in his luggage as long as he follows the requirements.
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 5:24:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Yes, 5.56mm is considered small arms ammunition.  As to your second question, I don't know.  In many states, it's illegal for anybody under the age of 18 to own or be in the posession of (without adult supervision) a rifle.  Therefore, unless the person is legally able to own the weapon, I wouldn't chance it.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top