Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 11/3/2002 5:00:27 PM EDT
I have a post ban Armalite AR-15. I was wondering if I bought a preban lower and put my post ban upper on it, would that make it pre ban so I could add all the cool accessories? Or is this just a rumor I heard?

Thanks,
Wes
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 5:28:32 PM EDT
Yup.
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 5:30:55 PM EDT
That is pretty cool. Seeing as how it doesn't cost all that much for a pre ban lower, I might do that in the future. Thanks for the help.

Wes
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 6:00:12 PM EDT
Just be sure that your preban lower you buy is complete with it's fire control parts and a telestock.
There is a lot of grey area where the lower can lose it's preban status.
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 6:55:04 PM EDT
Why would you do that? Why wouldn't you just buy a preban style upper if you spent so much money on a preban lower? Where do you find that a preban lower doesn't cost all that much? At the very least a preban costs $750. I usually see them for about $1000 for just the lower. A postban lower costs at the most $350 for a match trigger and $250 at the most for the standard.

The only "cool" accessories you can't have on your upper now is a flash suppressor and a bayonet lug. A bayonet is just about useless and without threads, you can't mount a flash suppressor. If you get the postban upper threade4d for a FS, you couldn't mount it back on the postban lower.

It really doesn't make any sense in mounting the postban upper on a preban lower. Just get a complete preban if that is what you want or buy the preban lower and a new preban upper.
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 7:03:11 PM EDT
Purely as a matter of practical thinking, contact the maker of the pre-ban lower in question (via phone, website, whatever) and check to see if that particular serial number is listed as pre-ban. If it is, that is proof enough of its pre-ban status. Beyond that, just don't say anything to anybody about its configuration. If anyone asks, it had a telescoping stock attached to it when you bought it and nobody can prove otherwise.

If the maker says it's pre-ban, that's good enough for me and I'd never say anything to anyone that might even IMPLY that it might be questionable according to the BATF.

CJ
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 8:08:43 PM EDT
It was purely a hypothetical question and I was wrong about the lowers being inexpensive. I did some shopping and they are right around $750 each. I do think it is cool that you can put a post ban upper on a pre ban lower, though. However, the only "accessory" I wanted was the collapsable stock, so I don't think that justifies the price. Thanks for all the responses though.

Wes
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 2:17:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/4/2002 2:59:27 AM EDT by Gecko]
I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but it is my understanding that if a pre-ban lower is sold without a pre-ban upper attached it looses its pre-ban status. I may be wrong, but I don't think so. I do not believe that you can simply transfer a "complete" lower. I believe you have to transfer a complete pre-ban gun. I suppose that if you can show by serial number that it was manufactured as a complete gun (lower and upper) then you could get away with it. However, what would you do if someone asked to see the pre-ban upper that you bought with the gun?

18 USC Sec 921(a)(3) addresses this specifically. Check out the current thread in the Legal Forum.
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 10:08:29 AM EDT
If it has a collapsable stock on it it has 3 evil features and is cosidered a complete rifle.
Top Top