Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/23/2002 1:53:01 PM EDT
My apologies in advance if this topic has been beaten into the ground previously. I have been absent from the discussions for the last 2 years, and am just now "returning to the fold". I would like to find the lightest shorty AR on the market (no carbon AR's please). Ideally, I would like something that has a slim 14.5" barrel so that I can get a Wilson muzzle brake installed. An A3 configuration would be ideal, but I would settle for an A2 as well. In your honest opinion, where should I turn for this "dream gun". BTW, I already have a Bushmaster lower, so a light-weight upper would be OK. Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 2:22:18 PM EDT
Olympic Arms FAR-15 at 4.92# or Panther Arms DCMS Plinker at just over 5#. Plinker has A-1 sights i think, but may be had in A-3 configuration. dont quote me on that one. also Bushmaster now sells 'pencil' barrels. so you could start from there and go with a carbon fiber/fiberglass free floating tube(you might need it with such a thin barrel) and then an upper from whoever. Carbine buttstocks are still about the lightest furniture avaible i think.
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 3:46:58 PM EDT
The DPMS Lightweight is not called the plinker. It is called the Panther Lite 16. It has a postban lightweight, thin profile barrel, A1 sights, and a faux collapsible stock. It also has a shim built in between the pistol grip and the trigger guard, so no gapper is needed. It weighs around 5 3/4 puonds. The upper is forged, but the lower is cast. The upper is available separately, but is not listed in the catalog. You can call them and request a price.

The plinker is from Olyarms. It has A1 sights, but a heavy barrel and A2 full stock. Both the upper and lower are cast on this one. For the price, it is a good rifle for recreation.
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 4:09:27 AM EDT
oops. sorry. you are right. but i was at least thinking about the right rifle. just had the name wrong.
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 9:07:19 PM EDT
Thanks for the info!

Glebsky
Top Top