Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/20/2002 3:56:34 AM EDT
Hi everybody !
I'm ready to buy an Assault-Riffle, my ever preferd one was a Colt AR15 but some friends from the Shooting Club told me to buy an
SG-551 SWAT. Can somebody give me a hint or information wich one of the two is better, both
for the same price what should i decide.

Tanks a lot, bye-bye from France,
                               Nicolas
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 4:55:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Whoa, nice looking rifle:

Welcome to the site, sorry but dont' know much about the Sig, other than what I've read here, www.remtek.com/arms/sig/551swat/551.htm and couple other sites.

Maybe others will have more experience w/ them.

Mike
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 5:54:01 AM EDT
[#2]
My first "assault style" rifle was a Colt AR15A2 R6600 that I purchased in 1988 (I think).  I still have it, of course.  You never forget your first....

I purchased a "pre-ban" semi-auto SIG 551 in 2001.  I'm not law enforcement or military or a dealer to such, so I had to purchase the rather expensive civilian SIG 551.  Very few were imported into the USA prior to the 1989 ban.  You don't see those for sale very often here in the USA at (what I think) are attractive prices.  I know of only one that's now available, and the price is in excess of $13,000 (no, it's not mine).

Very different rifles.  You might want to handle them both and choose the one that feels best to you.  You can't go far wrong with either.  If I had to abandon all but one of my rifles, I'd choose the SIG 551 to keep.  That's about the best testimonial I can give.

(Sorry... Moderator... please don't kick me off the AR15 site... I love my AR's too!)
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 1:45:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I thought the Sigs looked cool, so I looked into them a year or so ago.  What I found is that the Sig is way more expensive than a nice AR.  If you have the cash to throuw at it, it's a great rifle, but I don't know if it's several thousand dollars better than a quality AR.
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 2:11:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Talk about showing up at the range with a Lincoln Navigator! (not a Lexus or Mercedes, mind you).
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 2:27:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top