Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/14/2002 2:30:54 PM EDT
Is WD 40 usable for weapon cleaning and lub part of the gun?

Thanks

Rob
Link Posted: 9/14/2002 2:35:20 PM EDT
[#1]
wd40 builds up and varnishes the parts and is not the best choice for firearms.
Link Posted: 9/14/2002 2:37:31 PM EDT
[#2]
No WD40 is not a good weapons lubricant or cleaner but it can be used in a pinch.

I have used WD40 mostly to clean metal parts because of the detergent present in the oil.
Link Posted: 9/14/2002 2:51:37 PM EDT
[#3]
WD40 makes a fine finishing agent.  I apply a small amount to outside of my guns after celaning.  I don't use it on the internals.
Link Posted: 9/14/2002 2:53:36 PM EDT
[#4]
I'll use WD-40 to remove all moisture after a blast of steaming hot water during cleaning (we were taught that HOT water and CLP were the only authorized cleaning agents at Parris Island, for what it's worth) but I always wipe all WD-40 off and follow up with CLP for actual lubrication.
Link Posted: 9/14/2002 3:00:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/14/2002 3:04:11 PM EDT
[#6]
(not on plastic!)

Wash - Hoppes, Sweets ect.
1st rinse, WD40
2nd rinse, Disc Break cleaner
3rd - Compressed air blast.
final - CLP and Mil rifle grease as required*

*depends on weapon.
Link Posted: 9/14/2002 3:46:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/14/2002 8:52:50 PM EDT
[#8]
WD-40 is fine for oiling squeaky hinges, but the internals of a firearm are very high-pressure and very high-speed.

A more specialty lubricant is needed on a firearm.
Link Posted: 9/14/2002 9:05:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Don't forget to keep WD-40 (and other lubricants) away from contact with ammo, especially as it will kill the primers.  Hearing "click" instead of "bang" is such a drag
Link Posted: 9/14/2002 9:09:13 PM EDT
[#10]
WD40 is the friend of every gunsmith as it cruds up all the internal parts !
Basically it is areosol kerosene..not suitable for guns except in a pinch. CLP and LSA are old, out of date products. Due to the volume of purchases and wide range of needs of federal law enforcement & military..a single set of trials produced the current lubricant vendor for all MILITEC , a great pure synthetic.
data is on their website www.militec1.com
Cleaning product #1 is shooters choice.
Link Posted: 9/14/2002 11:06:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks folks,for your advice!
The trouble is CLP-Break Free etc,are hard to get here in Holland (Europe).
I just bought a can of surplus weapon oil(X11) from the Dutch army.
But inspecting the package there was a an expire date from a few years ago......but what can you expect for $2.....
Any thoughts/advice on this?
In about 6 there Is a big weapon show here,so I will try to purchase CLP or Break Free.
Anyway thanks for the advice my friends.

Rob
Link Posted: 9/14/2002 11:09:22 PM EDT
[#12]
oops forgot the word weeks after 6, but hè I'm still a Dutchie hahaha
Link Posted: 9/15/2002 2:54:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Posted on 09/04/02

U.S. Navy Seal Killed in Afghanistan
Small Arm Accident could have been prevented
To:Leonard Trahan, Jr. Director Defense Hotline ; MILITEC-1
Cc:Russ Logan
Sent: Friday, July 26, 2002 10:47 AM
Subject: Re: Certain Forces are in Danger HOTLINE CASE NUMBER 82911

Dear Mr. Trahan,

I just received this confidential message, from a retired U.S. Military Infantry Officer, who is working for one of our allied countries in the Middle East Region.

Please be advised, (as I have stated repeatedly since January) that the currently issued Mil-Spec CLP weapons lubricant is a sub-standard product for combat operations. I have also advised you, that continued use of this sub-standard product will get someone injured or killed.

Please act on this promptly, before more of our combat troops get injured or killed from a defective product.

Sincerely,

Brad P. Giordani
President
MILITEC, INC.
www.militec-1.com

You did not hear this from me:

Remember the Navy Seal who fell from the CH 47 and died in Afghan ? The fall did not kill him. He lived through that and got into a firefight with local Al Quaeda/Taliban forces. The investigation revealed that the Seal's weapon jammed ( poor lubrication) and he was eventually overrun. Some local tribesmen turned in the body and the weapon soon after the fight.

That is how the government determined it was poor lubrication and a jammed weapon that was the proximate cause of death.

Lots of people asking me about MILITEC now. hmmmmmmm.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

----- Original Message -----
To: [email protected]
Cc: Alan Roth ; Ted Mumm ; Russ Logan
Sent: Thursday, January 24, 2002 10:35 AM
Subject: ADVISORY FOR OUR TROOPS

Dear Madam/Sir,

There is a very serious problem that our Combat Troops are being forced to contend with. The currently issued Weapons Lubricant, CLP, is a sub-standard product for combat operations. Please review the Coast Guard document and contact the POC's that are listed below. Please get this information to the appropriate Commanders, before someone gets Injured or Killed, as a result of a malfunctioning Small Arm. Rex Powell, at Picitinni Army Arsenal, has been fighting to keep us out of the system since 1989. This position will get someone Injured or Killed. Please help us in supporting our combat troops.

Thank you for your time.

Brad P. Giordani
President
MILITEC, INC.
11828 Pika Drive
Waldorf, Md. 20602
www.militec-1.com
877-222-5512
301-893-3910
Cell 909-560-0882

Coast Guard Switches to MILITEC-1 Weapons Lubricant
TO: ALL MILITARY ACTIVITIES
Email: [email protected]

(1) On August 28, 2001 RADM H. E. Johnson released ALCOAST 364/01, an advisory authorizing MILITEC-1 (a synthetic gun oil) and Insight (a gun cleaner) to replace the earlier all-in-one product, Mil-Spec CLP (Cleaner, Lubricant, Preservative). This exception to PMS applies to all CG-owned weapons smaller than .50-caliber .

(2) Justification for this deviation to PMS was for operator safety concerns. Excessive material build-up in the firearm was a contributing factor justifying this advisory.

(3) Federal Law Enforcement agencies began replacing all-in-one products with two separate products as early as 1988. CLP was considered inadequate. Better results were obtained using a cleaner to prepare the weapon and MILITEC-1 to lubricate it.

In addition to the Coast Guard, the Federal Agencies listed below currently use this two-step procedure on their weapons. These agencies are aware that other government agencies may contact them as "referenced users" of MILITEC-1. For complete contact information, see below.

Naval Criminal Investigative Services
United States Coast Guard
FBI, Nationwide
U.S. Secret Service
Drug Enforcement Administration
U.S. Department of State, Worldwide
U.S. Postal Inspectors
Defense Criminal Investigative Service
United States Park Police
Police Dept., Supreme Court of the U.S.
Immigration & Naturalization Service

(4) Several weapons manufacturers formally recommend MILITEC-1 and issue it to selected customers and at their factory-sponsored Law Enforcement Training Schools. These manufacturers include:

Beretta
Sig
Glock
H&K
Springfield
Barrett
Les Baer
Benelli
Knight Armament

(5) The National Rifle Association issues MILITEC-1 to all attendees of their Law Enforcement Schools.

(6) Starting with Desert Storm, and in every conflict since, rush shipments of MILITEC-1 have been ordered directly by our forces using their Impac Cards, and also through the Defense Logistics Agency (DLA), which manages MILITEC-1 through its supply system.

Our forces are going into one of the most inhospitable terrains on the planet. MILITEC-1 allows small arms to be fired (dry-lubricated) at least one thousand rounds with no build-up of dangerous materials and no sand or debris retention that could cause a failure to fire. This technology was proven during Desert Storm and Kosovo.

In combat, there are no second chances. Ninety-nine percent (99%) reliability is not good enough for small arms. It must be one hundred percent (100%). One jammed weapon is not an option where our troops' lives are concerned. MILITEC-1 can and will enhance the combat readiness and mission capability of our Armed Forces in this time of war.

Link Posted: 9/15/2002 3:28:41 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Posted on 09/04/02

Dear Mr. Trahan,

I just received this confidential message, from a retired U.S. Military Infantry Officer, who is working for one of our allied countries in the Middle East Region.

Please be advised, (as I have stated repeatedly since January) that the currently issued Mil-Spec CLP weapons lubricant is a sub-standard product for combat operations. I have also advised you, that continued use of this sub-standard product will get someone injured or killed.

Please act on this promptly, before more of our combat troops get injured or killed from a defective product.

Sincerely,

Brad P. Giordani
President
MILITEC, INC.
www.militec-1.com

You did not hear this from me:

Remember the Navy Seal who fell from the CH 47 and died in Afghan ? The fall did not kill him. He lived through that and got into a firefight with local Al Quaeda/Taliban forces. The investigation revealed that the Seal's weapon jammed ( poor lubrication) and he was eventually overrun. Some local tribesmen turned in the body and the weapon soon after the fight.

That is how the government determined it was poor lubrication and a jammed weapon that was the proximate cause of death.

Lots of people asking me about MILITEC now. hmmmmmmm.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

----- Original Message -----
To: [email protected]
Cc: Alan Roth ; Ted Mumm ; Russ Logan
Sent: Thursday, January 24, 2002 10:35 AM
Subject: ADVISORY FOR OUR TROOPS

Dear Madam/Sir,

There is a very serious problem that our Combat Troops are being forced to contend with. The currently issued Weapons Lubricant, CLP, is a sub-standard product for combat operations. Please review the Coast Guard document and contact the POC's that are listed below. Please get this information to the appropriate Commanders, before someone gets Injured or Killed, as a result of a malfunctioning Small Arm. Rex Powell, at Picitinni Army Arsenal, has been fighting to keep us out of the system since 1989. This position will get someone Injured or Killed. Please help us in supporting our combat troops.

Thank you for your time.

Brad P. Giordani
President
MILITEC, INC.
11828 Pika Drive
Waldorf, Md. 20602
www.militec-1.com
877-222-5512
301-893-3910
Cell 909-560-0882

Coast Guard Switches to MILITEC-1 Weapons Lubricant
TO: ALL MILITARY ACTIVITIES
Email: [email protected]

(1) On August 28, 2001 RADM H. E. Johnson released ALCOAST 364/01, an advisory authorizing MILITEC-1 (a synthetic gun oil) and Insight (a gun cleaner) to replace the earlier all-in-one product, Mil-Spec CLP (Cleaner, Lubricant, Preservative). This exception to PMS applies to all CG-owned weapons smaller than .50-caliber .

(2) Justification for this deviation to PMS was for operator safety concerns. Excessive material build-up in the firearm was a contributing factor justifying this advisory.

(3) Federal Law Enforcement agencies began replacing all-in-one products with two separate products as early as 1988. CLP was considered inadequate. Better results were obtained using a cleaner to prepare the weapon and MILITEC-1 to lubricate it.

In addition to the Coast Guard, the Federal Agencies listed below currently use this two-step procedure on their weapons. These agencies are aware that other government agencies may contact them as "referenced users" of MILITEC-1. For complete contact information, see below.

Naval Criminal Investigative Services
United States Coast Guard
FBI, Nationwide
U.S. Secret Service
Drug Enforcement Administration
U.S. Department of State, Worldwide
U.S. Postal Inspectors
Defense Criminal Investigative Service
United States Park Police
Police Dept., Supreme Court of the U.S.
Immigration & Naturalization Service

(4) Several weapons manufacturers formally recommend MILITEC-1 and issue it to selected customers and at their factory-sponsored Law Enforcement Training Schools. These manufacturers include:

Beretta
Sig
Glock
H&K
Springfield
Barrett
Les Baer
Benelli
Knight Armament

(5) The National Rifle Association issues MILITEC-1 to all attendees of their Law Enforcement Schools.

(6) Starting with Desert Storm, and in every conflict since, rush shipments of MILITEC-1 have been ordered directly by our forces using their Impac Cards, and also through the Defense Logistics Agency (DLA), which manages MILITEC-1 through its supply system.

Our forces are going into one of the most inhospitable terrains on the planet. MILITEC-1 allows small arms to be fired (dry-lubricated) at least one thousand rounds with no build-up of dangerous materials and no sand or debris retention that could cause a failure to fire. This technology was proven during Desert Storm and Kosovo.

In combat, there are no second chances. Ninety-nine percent (99%) reliability is not good enough for small arms. It must be one hundred percent (100%). One jammed weapon is not an option where our troops' lives are concerned. MILITEC-1 can and will enhance the combat readiness and mission capability of our Armed Forces in this time of war.

I'm gonna try it, and a free sample to boot.
AB

Link Posted: 9/15/2002 4:23:56 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
But inspecting the package there was a an expire date from a few years ago......but what can you expect for $2.....
In about 6 there Is a big weapon show here,so I will try to purchase CLP or Break Free.
Anyway thanks for the advice my friends.

Rob

If you have a construction supply store near you, you can buy CLP in other forms.  The easiest way is to buy "Hilti" or "Ramset" "powder actuated tool" oil.  Both are CLP, but run a little higher in price due to being repackaged.

P.S. If these name brands are not sold there, check with them to see what brand of nail/pin tools they offer.  The tool drives a nail with a 22/27 cal blank via a drive ram.  All the cleaning/lubing oils will be CLP.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 9/15/2002 11:29:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Dano,thanks it's a excellent idea what you mention here.
If things goes sour I'll try this...
Thanks mate!

Rob
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 11:44:36 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Posted on 09/04/02

Dear Mr. Trahan,

So your releasing confidential military comuniques to the public and posting them in a public forum, while we are at war...

In my book that makes Militec TRAITORS!!!

Please be advised, (as I have stated repeatedly since January) that the currently issued Mil-Spec CLP weapons lubricant is a sub-standard product for combat operations.

Yep its only been working great for 20 years on a variety of weapons systems (from M16s to Vulcans..) though numerous combat engagements...

Remember the Navy Seal who fell from the CH 47 and died in Afghan ? The fall did not kill him. He lived through that and got into a firefight with local Al Quaeda/Taliban forces. The investigation revealed that the Seal's weapon jammed ( poor lubrication) and he was eventually overrun.

This is true...

But the Militech salesmen would have you beleive it was his PERSONAL weapon lubed with CLP that jammed.

However if you look into the press accounts of the story (some of us have memories longer than a week) you will find the operator used his personal weapon and took over an enemy machinegun.  It was the Enemy's machinegun that jammed and the operator was eventually killed.

So are we to beleiver Al-Queda uses CLP and that was the cause?

Even if it had been the operator's weapon that jammed.  Would it have been the fault of CLP??  Not say a fall from a helicopter onto rocky ground damaging the weapon or the spare magazine? (as happened to Durrant's PDW in Black Hawk Down).

This is nothing but BLATENT LIES and INNUENDO to sell a product.  If a product can't stand on its own and you have to tell lies about the the competator then I'd advise you to steer clear.

Stick with CLP - its been doing great and is the recommended product in the Operator's Manual (-10).  If the US Army (the worls largest most experienced user of the Stoner system) ever changes its recommendation then I'll change what I use.
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 11:50:20 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Try looking for some RoyCo 634 - its the current CLP used by the US Military.  It meets all the specs w/o use of Teflon.

I know you can order RoyCo from Royal Lubricants right off the web (about $212 US Dollars without shipping for a six 1 gallon jugs)

I've been told you find much 'outdated' CLP in US Army Arms Rooms.  To tell the truth I never bothered to check.  It should not be much (if any) of a problem.
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 11:59:39 AM EDT
[#19]
That story about CLP contributing to the death of the SEAL sounds like a load of Bullshit to me.

I've been using CLP in all my weapons, including M-16s, M-60s, pistols, ARs, shotguns...you get the idea.  I have NEVER had a failure that I could attribute to the CLP and I have used those weapons in dry and wet conditions, in heat and freezing cold.  Sometimes the barrel of my rifle was so damn hot I had trouble holding the handguard...and steam was sizzling off of the barrel!  The rifle just kept on feeding.

CLP works.  Don't believe that crap...until it is OFFICIALLY promulgated to all of us.  With OUR ties to the military, we'll be the first to know too.  In fact, I'll see if I can scare up some info from a couple of my old pals...

Edited to add:  I just heard a couple of days ago that our troops in Afghanistan are modifying the cleaning process to use a light graphite grease rather than lots of CLP, which is what we used to use in wetter environmental conditions.  Reason given is the dust and grime.  Frequent cleanings are also required.
That sounds about right.

Link Posted: 9/16/2002 2:05:35 PM EDT
[#20]
For the record:
Our troops in the 'stan are using Breakfree,Mil-Comm,and many other lubes including sentry solutions wonderfull products.Lots of tinkering going on to overcome the conditions.

At first there were many issues with dust and sand when using Breakfree,and some went to dry weapons,which didn't work well for obvious reasons.
Many were exit trained by an associate of mine and given samples of the Mil-comm TW25B and instructed to apply and wipe dry.This has been successfull.
others have gone the graphite route,and it has worked.
Break free has been replaced in some units due to special needs,but remains the best all in one CLP available and will remain primary issue for some time to come.Try sticking 2-3 different products in the Butt trap of a 16A2,or worse in the butt pack.All in one makes sense if it works for the majority of environments.

The statements posted above are either heinous BS,or a tactless,gutless attempt to market a product by someone with no honor or soul!
If this is truly the marketing attempts of Mil-tec I will NEVER allow any of their stuff in my armory.
Cashing in on the blood of fallen heroes is just Sickening!

As for the Mini-guns and Vulcans...
Mike Dillon at Dillon Aerospace now has the contract for our military and several foreign military's.
He recommends the use of TW25B in dusty environments on his airframe mounted and exposed guns,and has gone so far as to "Death test" the stuff.
It's the only stuff that allows operational Maint. intervals to be extended in dusty climates,and operate when covered in grit thanks to the suspension quality's of the lube,and the high heat resistence(450 Degrees+).

The stuff isn't the end all for all uses,but for many applications it is superior...and Mil-Com has had an NSN since 86'.

This thing with Mil-tec has me TICKED!
Has anybody checked to see if these statements are true as far as Mil-com badgering the DOD for acceptance in this manner? I really would like to hear from them concerning this.

I have it on good accord the SEAL in question went down fighting,and not because of a weapons malfunction,so I know that statement is garbage.

Some days it dosn't pay to chew through the straps!!

Keep safe all!
S-28

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top