Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2002 11:45:17 AM EDT
I'm faced with the choice between a 16" M4 barrel and a standard 16" heavy CAR barrel. I have a stripped upper sitting around in need of a barrel. Both barrels that this guy has are new 1/9 twist chrome lined and essentially identical except for contour.

Since I don't/can't have a grenade launcher, what is the advantage to the M4 barrel contour?

Is it just the "looks cool" factor or is there something else to it?

Additionally, the M4 is $25 more than the other.

Any thoughts?

Link Posted: 9/3/2002 11:53:15 AM EDT
[#1]
yeah it is pretty much the "Looks" Factor.  I personally think the standard HBAR barrel looks cool too. Either way you cant go wrong.
Link Posted: 9/3/2002 12:24:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/3/2002 12:56:07 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
The most significant factor is the 2/3 of a pound of weight that you save, which makes the gun faster to aim and doesn't tire you out as much when doing a whole day of training.

-Troy

Ditto what Troy said.  If I'm going to carry a 7.5lbs rifle - give me a full 20" with the A2 profile.

A carbine is supposed to be lightweight - go with the M4 profile.
Link Posted: 9/4/2002 8:40:25 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a M4 16" and a HBAR 16".  If I were you I would go with the HBAR 16"  Like it was said it the M4 is just a look factor.
Link Posted: 9/4/2002 9:18:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Consider going with a 16"  light barrel rather than a HBAR or M4 type. Really makes a nice light weight carbine. Wilson makes some, probably others too, but you might have to ask.

I will admit that a M4 is a cool looking carbine but most of us don't need the heavy barrel or grenade launcher capability.
Link Posted: 9/4/2002 5:55:27 PM EDT
[#6]
well, in my opinion almost everthing about the AR is a look-factor.  Didn't most of us get them because the are a military-weapon and look cool? If the M4 barrel helps with that, then it seems like a good thing to me.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2002 6:18:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Got to ask:  

What's your intended application?
Hunting?  Target shooting?  Home defense?

At what range (distance, not location)will be shooting?

Will this be your first AR, or do you
already have one?

If you're going to be shooting at ranges beyond 200 yards, consider going to a 20 inch barrel. Accuracy and velocity will improve and that will also keep the bullets in their designed velocity range for best terminal performance at longer ranges.

If you're going to be doing short range shooting, say no more than 200 yards, then an M4 or carbine barrel should be fine for you.

If you have another AR, go for some variety.  Three identically configured A2's may look good in the gun rack, but if shooting is fun, then shooting rifles that have different performance characteristics is even more fun.

CJ

Link Posted: 9/6/2002 10:45:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Sorry for the delay in response, been away.

cmjohnson-

Have three AR's, all rifles, two Colt 20" HBAR's and one Pre-ban PWA parts gun with 20" light A1 barrel.  This will be the first carbine upper for me.

Shooting will be usually 200 or less, application will be targets/home defense/plinking.  

I'm opting for the standard 16" at this point. Can't see the point of the M4 for 25 more dollars.  Weight difference is negligible.

Thanks for the input.
Link Posted: 9/6/2002 2:00:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Hell, if that is the case get a perban CAR15 upper with the 10.5" or 11.5" barrel and 5.5" or 4.5" flash hider.  Make it as short and light as possible.  The still are accurate out to 100yds or better and I think they look the best like that.  Good luck with what ever choice you make.
Link Posted: 9/6/2002 4:28:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Buy the 16" HB and have it turned down under the handguards.  You get a stronger barrel that weighs the same as the M4.
Link Posted: 9/6/2002 4:48:05 PM EDT
[#11]
This does not apply your your situation,  but I like the idea of a fluted 16" barrel.  Bushmaster will flute one of their barrels for you for $50.  You get a barrel that cools better than a HBAR and is just as strong, and weighs less than an M4.  This is what I'm going to do eventually.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2002 9:36:51 PM EDT
[#12]
gijohnny, you are giving a lot of advise without much in the way of reason to accompany your decision.

M4 Barrel is lighter, and ligher is helpful on a general purpose gun. Shots fired from M4 barrels in either 16" or 14.5" still maintain sufficiant velocity to keep rounds like M193 fragmenting out to realistic ranges.

The 10.5" and 11.5" barrels you suggested next are horrible out at anything past, say, 50 yards or so. They just dont allow enough velocity to build up behind the bullet before leaving the barrel.

The idea in building a general purpose gun that so many of us are talking about is not to make it as light as possible (though light is generally good), or for it to have the max range possible (althoug range is good).

The idea is to try and obtain a good balance between length and weight of the over all weapon, while still maintaing a useful maximum range. The M4 barrels accomplish this better than anything else we've seen to date.

M4 barrels and HBARs of the same length will do the same exact thing, however it will be needlessly heavy. It is merely wasted weight. The extra weight of the HBAR doesnt do a thing except make you tired.
Link Posted: 9/6/2002 11:18:19 PM EDT
[#13]
I'd go M4, either 14.5 or 16".
As was stated above, for general purpose and such, HBAR is just excess baggage.

TWO other key points:
*Authenticity
*Resell value!! (even tho you may never sell)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top