BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/16/2001 11:32:53 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 11:33:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 11:39:48 AM EDT
[#2]
So... If I never served in the Military i shouldn't wear BDU's??  Even the plain Khaki (non-Camo) ones?

Dang! That's Harsh.
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 11:44:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Paul,

....Well said..
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 11:49:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Couldn't have said it better myself.
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 12:13:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
5) If you witness someone calling an enlisted Marine "Sir", stand back.....the Marine will kick their ass.
View Quote

What are you supposed to call them? "Jarhead"?

Av.
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 12:20:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
5) If you witness someone calling an enlisted Marine "Sir", stand back.....the Marine will kick their ass.
View Quote

Av.
View Quote

Marine will do fine, just don't tell them that they are part of the Navy. If you do, standby to standby. (even if it does say Dept. of the Navy on their paycheck) [:)]

Can I come out now? [peep]
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 2:23:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 2:36:58 PM EDT
[#8]
true paul.  as a machinist in the Air Force i dont know how many times i get asked if i fly jets.  i then have to explain what i do and that there are alot of jobs that make up the AF.

p.s.  there are actually some of us in the AF that can shoot, we just only get to play with the issued guns once every 2 years.

SSgt Payne
USAF
AK
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 2:48:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 2:55:30 PM EDT
[#10]
I used to be an instructor at a Joint Services Training Center at Goodfellow AFB, Tx. As anyone who's been in the military knows, the flag comes down at 5 pm and they play the National Anthem. I used to routinely have to kick Marine asses out the door, as they stood inside at just before 5 pm so as to NOT have to go out and pay their respects to the flag. It made me furious. And it didn't happen just once or twice, it was several times a month and not the same guys. I don't know what problems they had, but they sure got their asses reamed for it. Now, you can say a Marine wouldn't do that..but junior, I saw it, as did many Navy and Army and other AF troops. Don't paint the Marines with a halo, or any service for that matter. Just my two cents.
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 8:40:45 PM EDT
[#11]
So, where's that communist Taliban at, Sir?
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 11:42:23 PM EDT
[#12]
So you want to be in the military? No thanks,-Been there,Done that!
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 10:29:30 AM EDT
[#13]

Marine will do fine, just don't tell them that they are part of the Navy.  (even if it does say Dept. of the Navy on their paycheck) [:)]

Can I come out now? [peep][/quote]

It is well known that sailors need marines to:
1)  March
2)  Look "military"
3)  Shoot anything smaller than a 5" deck-gun
4)  Provide barroom-brawl opponents
5)  Open-and-close doors/hatches for sailors

[:D]  [:D]
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 10:35:29 AM EDT
[#14]
That sure is a lot of ass-kicking aimed at US civilians. Certainly a proper military man has better things to do.
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 10:47:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Speerwessel,
actually most service people are very respectful of civilians - so long as there's no women involved.
After all, we were all civilians before the military and are/will be again after the military.

Some of these posts are sort of tongue-in-jowl.
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 10:53:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Although I was never in the military, I respect those who serve our country. However, lets not forget the civilians who generate the revenue used to finance the military. Without $$$ our military would resemble the Nova Scotian Civil Air Patrol. When my buddies joined the Marines, I went to the University of Wisconsin and got a BA in Business and another in Computer Science. Though I respect my friends for their decision, due to my civilian i.e. well paying job, Uncle Sam has taken enough taxes from me to have bought at least half of an F-18. Furthurmore, I still am a better shot than them. No flames, just my 2 cents.
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 11:05:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Av.
View Quote

Marine will do fine, just don't tell them that they are part of the Navy. If you do, standby to standby. (even if it does say Dept. of the Navy on their paycheck) [:)]

Can I come out now? [peep]
View Quote

That's the [b]Men's[/b] Department of the Navy!!
And don't call me "Sir"! I know who both of my parents are!
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 11:24:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Although I was never in the military, I respect those who serve our country. However, lets not forget the civilians who generate the revenue used to finance the military. Without $$$ our military would resemble the Nova Scotian Civil Air Patrol. When my buddies joined the Marines, I went to the University of Wisconsin and got a BA in Business and another in Computer Science. Though I respect my friends for their decision, due to my civilian i.e. well paying job, Uncle Sam has taken enough taxes from me to have bought at least half of an F-18. Furthurmore, I still am a better shot than them. No flames, just my 2 cents.
View Quote

You, me and "they" are all paying for that F-18.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 12:36:50 AM EDT
[#19]
I can't believe you guys taking this seriously...it's like one of those "So you want to date my daughter?" stories. It's funny, and points out pet peeves and funny things when military and "no-clue" civilians interact.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 7:38:28 AM EDT
[#20]
I agree that the military needs money. But from what I've seen in the military firsthand, it needs a lot LESS money until higher level brass stop committing fraud,waste, and abuse like its "going out of style". Thats the problem. The military should be cut off of money until $$ stop going towards $50 pen sets and ergonomic foot rests for brass.
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 9:27:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 4:08:26 PM EDT
[#22]
My Mamma wore combat boots.  It was part of the Army uniform she wore in WWII.

She gettin' on a little so she may not be able to kick too many asses lately.  But you will know it if you deserve it.
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 8:01:27 PM EDT
[#23]
SDavid
Marine will do fine, just don't tell them that they are part of the Navy. If you do, standby to standby.
View Quote

Reminds me of my company commander in Navy bootcamp. He was a Marine DI who wised up and swapped to the Navy. I can still picture him telling us why our freshly washed skivies were always tied on the laundry line facing our neighbors, the Marine bootcamp. You guessed it; p*ss on the Marines! And he told us we were the lowest form of life on earth. Nothing was lower except civilians, Waves, and Marines!

J_Smith
I agree that the military needs money. But from what I've seen in the military firsthand, it needs a lot LESS money until higher level brass stop committing fraud,waste, and abuse like its "going out of style".
View Quote

I resemble that problem, firsthand! At one time I had to track records of each department's spending. Towards the end of each quarter there would be a frenzy of "buying" going on. The idea was to use up all money alloted by quarter's end. If they didn't use it, they'd lose it and be cut back from then on. I've heard civilian government works the same way. There is a built in reason to waste money.
Link Posted: 12/25/2001 7:09:00 PM EDT
[#24]
If you ever were stationed at a place like Pearl Harbor, you will learn to stand inside at 8 AM.  Most of the world's navies - and all of their training ships stop in at one time or another.  

Let's see how much you like standing at attention saluting a loudspeaker for 10 - 15 minutes at a time.

BTW, I ran working parties for a short time in Millington, TN.  It was embarassing as a squid to watch marines and navy marching in the same formation.  The marines looked like, well, marines and the navy looked like uniformed civilians walking along.  It motivated me to clean up my act.
Link Posted: 12/25/2001 7:25:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I've grown to like marines - even more now that they're off of the aircraft carriers
View Quote

They arent on our carriers anymore? Why? I thought Marines guarded ALL the Navy's nuclear arsenal.
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 3:43:52 PM EDT
[#26]
[:D]  Thanks Paul!

And yes, I will kick your ass if I see you burning the American Flag.  One trip thru SERE school will burn the sancity of the US Emblem in your psyche forever.  
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 5:50:52 PM EDT
[#27]
In regards to the post from the civilian and his high paying job paying for F/A-18's.  I seem to recall paying taxes during my five years in the Marine Corps.  It is one of the few things that keep the military at the same level as the rest of the citizenry.  Could you imagine how much worse the spending waste would be if they weren't indirectly spending their own tax dollars?
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 6:50:15 PM EDT
[#28]
As an ex Army grunt I use to have a lot of respect for Marines and their ability to kick ass.  However, I remember this time in Vietnam sometime in late '68.  I was in transit at some air force base near Hue (can't remember the name).  We had a gound attack at night.  The NVA breached the perimeter.  It was guarded by a platoon of Marines.  I saw them run like hell.  Some even threw down their M-16s so they could run faster. I also saw the Air Force boys stand their ground at the tarmac and prevented the base from being overrun.  The AF guys were plane loaders and clerks and service personnel.  I don't know if they were dumb and the Marines were smart but it sure changed the way I looked at individuals instead of the uniform.

If you get me too much trouble I'll pay some Air Force dude to kick your ass!
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 1:13:33 AM EDT
[#29]
Well I was with BLT 3/1 and served on the same ship for for both of my wespac's.USS Duluth LPD-6,I have lots of friends that are Sailor's and if any of you Marines or Sailor's in the gator Navy know Marines and Gator Sailor's stick together.
Wespac 1998,Marines and sailor's from the Duluth in Bahrain completly destroyed the crew of two frigate's docked at the pier.
Officer's and enlisted were all in it matter of fact my co a Major beat the shit out of the commanding officer of one of those frigates they were the same rank though and no one got in trouble.
We got a stern talkin to by the Colonel and Captain,they had all Marines and Sailor's on the flight deck locked up at attention,130 degree's outside and all of us drunker than shit.
We had people throwin up at attention,it was cool but in the end they said they was proud of us cause we faught together as a team!

Say the below fast.
Sevenfootelephants aka Semper Fidelis
Shrimporfries aka Semper Fi

P.S the military can be a lot of fun if you let it,where else can you can go to other countries
and see how they live and to enjoy some of the nicest places in the world.
I was a 24 year old guy,in the Marines partying in Cairnes Australia for 6 day's straight had a beutiful blonde hangin off me every day,she is way cool.I still e-mail her and talk to her on Yahoo.
I took terminal leave and went to Australia to see her and i think she probaly will be the girl i marry.
She has been out here to see me too.
The military can be the best thing that happens to ya.Really Truly.
If you try to buck the system it will bite ya,just do what your told and it's all good to go.
0311 is the best MOS in the Marines by far its not 9-5 like other MOS's,When in garrison the grunts get off early all the people other than grunts aka POGS dont get off till 1630 it was the best Revelle 0530,formation at 0730,Pt at 0815 to about 1000 at 1100 was chow till 1300 at 1315 was end of the day formation then Liberty.
Yes There is a downside and training can suck but man there is more good than bad.And training can be fun too.

Link Posted: 1/4/2002 1:37:46 AM EDT
[#30]
Hmmm That's odd the marine units were on the USS Theodore Roosevelt & USS Enterprise when i was on them! Of course I got out of the navy in Oct. 98!!! And to the clown that said his taxes that he has paid in would account for half of a F-18....well.... First of all there is no such aircraft!!! It's a F/A-18 Hornet(fighter/attack) and second of all he needs to goto Mcdonell Douglas and see that a hornet is $40 Million not including a/c,cruise, and cd player!!!! As for the Marine comments, I had many friends from the "old" navy/marines...The new guys are for the majority complete idiots!!
"old" marines get nothing but respect from me!!! "yes Gunney!"
signed Aviation Electrician's Mate 3rd class
VFA-37 (yep its a hornet squadron)
[beer]
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 10:13:17 PM EDT
[#31]
When ever we heard that the Marines were part of the Navy, we always replied, yep "We are the best part."

Whenever there was a battle to fight the Navy was kind enough to give us a ride there, and issue a Corpsman.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 10:55:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 11:07:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 11:12:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 11:16:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 2:37:43 AM EDT
[#36]
Well said, Paul.

Yes, it's just like "So you want to date my daughter..." Don't get friggin' offended. If you take offense at this...

...stand by.

Semper Fi brother...

---------------
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top