Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/3/2006 12:45:56 PM EDT
I found this on another site and wanted to pass it along. Please pass this along to any other site you are on. It's about time something like this was done.

Rogers Proposes the Respect for Fallen Heroes Act

While attending the funeral of a Michigan soldier who died of combat wounds suffered in Iraq, protestors attempted to disrupt the funeral by shouting vile and harassing slogans at the family and other mourners.

Military families mourning the loss of a loved one killed in the defense of our nation deserve the right to say their final goodbyes in peace. America honors and respects our soldiers, and none more than those who die defending freedom and our nation.

Next week, I will be introducing federal legislation to protect grieving military families by banning protestors from military funerals. This legislation, the Respect for America's Fallen Heroes Act, will prohibit demonstrating one hour before and one hour after the service for a fallen solider and keep the protesters 500 feet from the grieving family. No family burying a son or daughter, a husband or wife, a brother or sister, should be faced with the insults, verbal attacks, and intimidation that these protestors were screaming or displaying on signs.

This common sense legislation will help to protect military families in their most difficult hour and is narrowly tailored to fit within the time and place restrictions consistently upheld by the Supreme Court.

Giving citizens an opportunity to participate in the process and support the legislation, I launched an on-line petition. The petition will allow citizens to express honor and respect for our American soldiers who make the ultimate sacrifice for the nation, as well as support for the people they love and leave behind.

The petition and comments from citizens will be presented to the House Veterans Affairs Committee at an April 6 hearing in Washington.

Petitions can be signed at

www.mikerogers.house.gov/fallenheroes.aspx

I encourage you to forward this site to your friends and family and ask them to help protect military families.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 9:58:57 AM EDT
[#1]
I feel sorry for you guys in the service primarily because I'm retired 2apoint and vollenteer @ the VA hosp and see how things are there while im there(business hrs). I can imagine how things are after dinner is served. The staff are great.....its the .gov funding thats LACKING BIG TIME and getting worse.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 12:18:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I already did this on another site. I hope it passes, no family needs to endure the likes of Phelps.
This was my brothers response:
I wish I had thought of the last part he wrote.

Congressman Rogers, You have my respect and full support for this legislation. My father, sister, brother-in-law, and myself are all veterans. My nephew is currently serving in the Army in Iraq. To think that people are abusing the very freedoms past soldiers have died for is appalling. No family should have to endure something like that during their time of grief. If this legislation fails maybe you could pass one requiring all of these protestors to be registered and the list available to the public so that if someone in their family dies we can return them the same courtesy and protest at their funeral services.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 5:10:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:33:41 AM EDT
[#4]
if my brother were to return home from this hell hole in a box, and these asshats showed up, sorry for my wife and child, but I would be in jail for putting multiple .30 cal holes into many of them.

these people are a scourge, and are disgusting for claiming we are dying over here becuase its "God's punishment for America's tolerance of homosexuality"
bastards
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 12:31:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I agree 2T. I feel the same way with my son over there. I don't think I would be very ladylike with the outcome. It's also a sad day that it has come to something like this, to protect the loved ones of  our fallen heroes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top