Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2006 5:44:47 PM EDT
My 1st assignment as a 15G (Aviation Structural Repairer) will be... Korea...

Most of what I've heard leads me to believe it's going to be a rather disappointing tour... 50 year old war that's just on 'pause' with little/no chance of seeing Iraq or Afghanistan, the locals love to steal your shit, and most of the stories about 'what to do off duty' revolve around Soju & 'local entertainment'....

I know a bunch of you have been there, so I'm looking for info...

What's it like? What are my chances of getting re-deployed from ROK to Iraq or Afghanistan (I know it's happened in the past... one can hope...)? Weather? What, if any parts of the country are still concidered a 'combat zone' (or similar)? What's there to do off duty (besides drinking & chasing the local women - not interested, thank you...)?

Basically, I'm interested in wheatever advice you have...

P.S. I posted a similar topic yesterday - I don't know if there was a comm errror or if it got deleted, so if it got trashed/moved, please IM me...

Thanks...
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:27:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I was stationed at Camp Stanley which is right up the road from Casey from 95-96.  

Make sure you go to Seoul every chance you get.  Really there is not alot to do in Korea.  The weekends will be spent in little bars off post drinking Soju or whatever.  I think the town Casey is in is Called TongDecheon  or TDC for short(sp?)  Around Camp Stanley there are a few nice mountains if you like to climb.  Nothing difficult, but plenty of places to rappel if you want too.

I had a good time in Korea even though at the end of it I was ready to get my ass back to the US.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:11:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Lots of shopping with knock-off copies galore.  Take the oppertunity though and get a few hand made suits, best buy you can make there.  Yep, drinking, local stuff, shopping...that's about it.  It is only a year assignment anyway!  No idea on chances of rotating from their to the Middle East.  I would imagine it shouldn't be too difficult if that's what you want.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 2:05:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 2:27:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:13:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Alot of the folks just getting back from Korea are painting a pretty depressing picture. Everything is now restricted, getting a pass is almost immpossible. Korea is not as fun as it used to be. Sorry...
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:30:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:45:16 AM EDT
[#7]
We needed a pass to go to  Seoul and other distant places, but nobody ever got one.  You need a pass to leave post now?  WTF?
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:18:12 PM EDT
[#8]
i got back from casey/hovey in 03.  right after i left all the infantry went to iraq.  its what you make of it.  if you sit in you barracks room the whole time, no fun.  they have a good restaurant/bar on post reggies.  good food, used to brew their own beer-86d that.  theres a path behind the 506th which takes you up the mountain, and theres a buddhist temple on the back side.  definitely check that out.  they started cracking down on prostitution, so keep it in your pants in public.  as far as going off post:  when i was there there were a lot of college kids protesting us being there.  they would throw molotovs over the gates, break in, etc.  they were pissed because two little girls were run over by one of those engineer bridge laying things.  it died down after the iraq stuff started.  there were no off post passes, 2 min recalls for riot duty, no fun.  so it can be a pain in the ass.  most of the koreans are very nice, and the little restaurants are good.  when in the field slickey boy will steal nvgs, so tie them to yourself.  good luck.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:39:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Once you get past the smell it isn't all that bad.

Happy Kimichi Turtle
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:02:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:56:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Dave_A,

I spent two years there, Sept 92-Sept 94.

Seoul is a HUGE City, lots of things to do and see, if you have any interest in History you can quickly learn why there is no lvoe lost on the Chinese or Japanese by Older Koreans.  College age Koreans have no tolerance for Yankees, unless they were brought up by Grandparents who have shared the tales from the WAR years.

There are many parks/historical sites in Seoul.  Many of them were "gates" when Seoul was a walled city.  Baseball and Soccer are popular sports.

MWR tours up to the coast are available, I would say a tour to the DMZ/JSA at Camp Boniface I feel is a must for soldiers.

Also many posts sponsor orphanages, so being involved with this might interest you.  

Korea is a great place to work on education, figure out what your schedule is and attend course working on your degree.

Of course I wouls be remiss if I didn't add in the normal soldier thoughts of drinking and girls.

Scorpion34 OUT!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top