Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/3/2006 10:54:07 AM EDT
I've been offered the chance to go for a vacation in April to JRTC, to go play with tanks for the 82nd Airborne. I'm under no obligation to go, and given I've had plenty of Army time in the last couple of years, it had better be enjoyable, and it really would be a paid vacation then.

So, what's the weather like down there? Is it miserable and wet for camping out, or reasonable?

NTM
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 12:23:51 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I've been offered the chance to go for a vacation in April to JRTC, to go play with tanks for the 82nd Airborne. I'm under no obligation to go, and given I've had plenty of Army time in the last couple of years, it had better be enjoyable, and it really would be a paid vacation then.

So, what's the weather like down there? Is it miserable and wet for camping out, or reasonable?

NTM

Dude, have you never been to JRTC?  It's always miserable and wet.  Hell, before you go "in the box", you have to sign for the rain, it's a standard issue item there.  Of course, they turn off the rain the day before you exit the box, just in time for the mud on your tracks to turn into hard, impossible to remove clay.  Then you get to have fun turning the clay back into mud at the wash rack.  I swear, if there is such a place as Hell on Earth, it's name is Fort Polk, Louisiana!
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:59:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:35:43 AM EDT
[#3]
I've decided to go.

The thing about training in the rain is I used to be in the Irish military. The country is called the Emerald Isle for a reason, and it's not green paint. I've had enough rain training!

NTM
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:46:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:32:38 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

NTM

Dude, have you never been to JRTC?  It's always miserable and wet.  Hell, before you go "in the box", you have to sign for the rain, it's a standard issue item there.  Of course, they turn off the rain the day before you exit the box, just in time for the mud on your tracks to turn into hard, impossible to remove clay.  Then you get to have fun turning the clay back into mud at the wash rack.  I swear, if there is such a place as Hell on Earth, it's name is Fort Polk, Louisiana!

+1,000,000
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:31:22 AM EDT
[#6]
I went when it was at Fort Chaffee, and had a friggin BLAST!
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:32:52 PM EDT
[#7]
I was an O/C from May '87 to Dec '89...
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:44:46 PM EDT
[#8]
I've been to JRTC several times at Chaffee, tick central there!  I've only visited Polk once and not for JRTC.  I can only imagine they moved JRTC there to increase the discomfort level.  That is a hard decision once you factor in Polk.  Gitmo would be more preferable.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top