Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/27/2017 2:18:49 PM EDT
Hi all,

My nephew just turned 18 and is signing with the Marines today. I could not be more proud. I want to buy him a couple nice things to express this. I know he can't take ANYTHING to boot camp, but I'm kind of lost from there. I want to get him a nice sunnto watch and a Leatherman. When could he have these? During infantry training? Would any of you recommend anything else? I'd like to spend less than $300. He's such a great kid and I want him to have some nice personal gear. I just have no clue about the regulations surrounding this.

Thank you all in advance!
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 2:33:15 PM EDT
[#1]
On when to send them: id wait till he gets assigned to his first duty station so that way hes got solid address to receive mail.

On the gifts: you have 2 good ones a tough watch, leatherman super 300, good knife would be helpful too. I wasn't infantry so i really dont know what they need.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 2:36:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Figure out what his MOS is first. A nice watch or a gerber. If he plays with explosives get him the EOD gerber, if not get him the same model but without the C4 punch/crimpers.... I think it's the MUT?
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 3:09:38 PM EDT
[#3]
As stated, wait until he gets to his first duty station. Unless he is a grunt he will have recruit training, MCT, and MOS school which will vary in length depending on his MOS. What is his MOS by the way?
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 10:37:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Holy cats, I totally forgot about this thread. Thanks for all the advice guys! He's in California right now at boot camp. He is going infantry. I'm not sure how the Marine MOS works, so I can't give you a number. Got a letter from him a few days ago, he signed it "skinny and starving" haha. He should be done there in December then home for a week and then off to infantry school. Will he get a duty station after that?
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 1:45:13 PM EDT
[#5]
He will get a duty station when he's near the end of infantry school.  As for multi-tools, don't get the EOD one, they are issued if needed usually.  If he's regular infantry his MOS is 0311 infantry field is 03XX.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 4:02:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Okay, at first I didn't get it, but my good family friend got me a guidon with my Parris Island unit information on it when I graduated boot camp.  I've grown to cherish it dearly and it's one my most prized possessions.  We all remember boot camp, we trade stories, but honestly, most Marines once they get out to the fleet, don't have anything tangible to remember their time there (other than maybe a few scars).  This is a pretty awesome gift IMO.  You can put his platoon number, company, battalion, etc on it, frame it, and present it to him.  When we are training, our guidon is treated with respect, never touches the ground, and represents our platoon and all the recruits in it.  It's a bit pricey, but considering what I've just told you, it's worth it.  And I'm sure you could probably shop around and find it cheaper elsewhere.

http://www.guidonsandmore.com/usmcguidons.html

Attachment Attached File

(not mine, pic from the website)
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 4:31:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Okay, at first I didn't get it, but my good family friend got me a guidon with my Parris Island unit information on it when I graduated boot camp.  I've grown to cherish it dearly and it's one my most prized possessions.  We all remember boot camp, we trade stories, but honestly, most Marines once they get out to the fleet, don't have anything tangible to remember their time there (other than maybe a few scars).  This is a pretty awesome gift IMO.  You can put his platoon number, company, battalion, etc on it, frame it, and present it to him.  When we are training, our guidon is treated with respect, never touches the ground, and represents our platoon and all the recruits in it.  It's a bit pricey, but considering what I've just told you, it's worth it.  And I'm sure you could probably shop around and find it cheaper elsewhere.

http://www.guidonsandmore.com/usmcguidons.html

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/166491/usmc-framed-guidon-15-x-22-medium-3-341840.JPG
(not mine, pic from the website)
View Quote
Traditionally, guidons go to the commander... and I would not get him a guidon of his boot camp plt unless you want him to be endlessly made fun of.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 1:24:48 AM EDT
[#8]
After boot camp, a nice room for a couple of days for him and his sweetie!  He'll go to advance training with some good memories!
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 10:51:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Wait until he is with his unit and does some training most of us Grunts get $hitty gear and same with pay I'm sure he will talk about a LBV or Pack that he wants at that time be the great Uncle send him the money or if you know what company he wants the gear from a gift card!

When I was in there was so much stuff they wanted us to have but the pay was so little it was hard to get everything that you need! Not sure if it's changed since then I'm guessing not!
Link Posted: 2/26/2018 4:13:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Please don't send him a package in boot camp, he will be made to pay for it.  We were warned not to have any packages sent to us in boot camp.  Those who didn't heed this warning payed for receiving packages.  I agree after boot camp and SOI, then a nice tough watch, a good Swiss army knife, and or a great pair of binoculars.  Prior to deployment over seas I went to the PX to buy a knife, my buddy who had deployed twice shoved the mini swords I was thinking of buying and he scoffed at my choices, then picked out a Swiss army knife and bought it for me.  Best gift I ever received and used it thru my tour and gave it to my son in law for his tour in Afghanistan.  Just my experience.
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 11:41:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Casio pathfinder.  The time is in big fuckin font right in the middle.  I found myself squinting too much at my Gshock.

Multitools will get lost or jacked.  Try to buy them on sale.  No reason to buy the expensive ones.  Knife, players, screwdriver, that's really all you need.
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 6:36:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Wait till he gets promoted to Cpl and get an NCO sword for him. I wish someone got me one of those.
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 6:44:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wait till he gets promoted to Cpl and get an NCO sword for him. I wish someone got me one of those.
View Quote
Having been to the NCO academy and drilled with issued blades.  I am happy to not own own.

If OP relation is still in and progressing normally, buy him a fukking car,.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 11:10:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Oh shit! I forgot to update this!

Yep, progressing well. He went infantry, and is a machine gunner (mos 0331). Made it out of boot an e2 - only a couple other guys did I guess. Not sure how that all works. Wish I could have made it to his graduation. I ended up getting him a super nice Suunto watch.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top