Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/15/2002 12:54:02 PM EDT
I find that every day I handle my AR-15 or look at that rack of uniforms in my closet (yes, still evenly spaced for inspection), I get a little depressed that chances are I'll never get to do all the things I did in the military.  I've been thinking about selling that stuff to a surplus store and trading out my ARs for HKs.  I find that an AR just makes me want to hold it and think.  Anyone else have these issues?
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 9:31:32 AM EDT
[#1]
I got out of the USMC in 86. At that time I couldn't wait. I was rotten to the Corps so to speak. I left all of my UD's in the closet at my Apt. for my room mate to pick through. I kept my utilities and anything else I thought would be useful. I now look back on my time in the Corps as some of the best times of my life. That being said I think keeping your uniforms inspection ready after you have been discharged is a little odd. Again only my opinion, I know old habits die hard. If you miss it that much go into the reserves. I wouldn't trade my AR for an H&K.
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 9:43:52 AM EDT
[#2]
*shrug* the reserves are a joke, been there, tried that.  Sure it's a little odd, but it keeps my roommates from snooping around while I'm out :).
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 10:07:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 11:12:23 AM EDT
[#4]
I think I'll just have to live with the photos and coins and all that neato stuff.  Time to grow up and get through school or something like that.  I sure don't miss the food, that's for sure.
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 6:27:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't do what I did throw away ,burn and destroy my stuff. I thought it would take care of problems I was having. After all the drinking back then wasn't working anymore. I regret it now and it didn't take care of anything.

The last thing I got rid of were some really graphic pictures I had. My son found them hidden and took 2 of them to school. I was called in and had to relive those memories again. My son was having trouble with a kid, he showed him a picture of me in country back in 71. It was very gruesome he tells the kid, if he messes with him my father is going to do this to your whole family.

This caused lots of problems for my son, I was questioned by school officials. I told them it was a long time ago and mind their own business. They said it was their business since my son brought it up. Anyway all the pictures were burnt and thrown out. HE was in a lot of trouble with me. I can't even begin what I started to relive again.

If your memories are happy ones save what you have and hand them down to your kids. Remember what you have you earned and in your heart it will never be taken away from you.  

FEEL THE SUNSHINE ON YOUR FACE EVERYDAY
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 6:33:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Why dont you go back in?  A member here was airborne infantry years ago, and he recently returned to the Army after being fed up with civilian life.  He just finished basic training (had to go through it again) and is currently in AIT for his new MOS.  He's glad to be back on active duty.

I have a friend who was 91 Bravo in the 18th Airborne Corps.  He got out, went to college and is unhappy working and living a regular life.  Needless to say, he seems miserable and unfulfilled.  He wants to go back but cant because he's too old now. There are some people who should have never left the Army, and he's one of them.

If you can't go back, try and find a good combat medic unit in the USAR or ARNG.  Sure there are sh*tty units, but keep looking you might be able to find a good one.
View Quote

Have you heard from 11H1P lately?
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 11:47:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top