Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/9/2002 9:44:47 AM EDT
There is a petty arsonist at my rural property, and I need some advice.

Over the past 18 months, I've slowly been replacing fences at my farm.  I have HEARD that a particular neighbor is upset, b/c I haven't built a new fence between our properties.

Several small (camp fire size), suspicious fires have been lit at my property.  Allegations center on this particular neighbor.  I have no proof, but think the allegations are reasonable.  I spoke w/ the neighbor, was very careful to NOT make allegations, and asked him to please "keep an eye out for any suspicious folks."  Subsequently, my hired man (non-resident alien) reported that the neighbor grabbed his shirt and said "I don't like being accused."  Again, no accusations were made.

The sheriff is about 45 minutes away.  I will go and visit him if I need to.  I really do not want any problems, and certainly don't want the situation to escalate.  I'd appreciate any comments on how to peacefully resolve this situation.
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 9:58:23 AM EDT
[#1]
If you want to keep everything legal on your end, I definately goto the sherif and fill a complaint against your neighboor for what he did to your worker. Assumming his is a legal alien that is. If your neighbor grabed the man'shirt and threatened him that is technically assult. This will establish a paper record that your neighbor has something against you, which by itself may be enough to scare him away from lighting any more fires. If it isn't, then when he screws up eventually then you will at least have some evidence on your side that your neighbor , for lack of a better term , wants to start some shit.

Edited to say: I meant goto the sherif with your worker and have him file the complaint. And while you are there explain to the sherif why you think your neighbor approached your worker.
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 2:44:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Since the "assault" was not on you, you can not file a complaint.  I think you should go and file a complaint about the arson, that is very serious and you should have a record of them.   What if your barn or car "catch" fire?  You need a paper trail to show a series of arson fire's.
I also suggest you pick up a few of those motion activated 35mm cameras made for photographing game on trails.  You can strap them to a tree near areas your worried have been or could be targets.  Good fences make good neighbors.  Photos and registered complaints make good evidence.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top