Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/17/2001 1:50:09 PM EDT
In June I received my new patrol car. We have to keep them for 3 years. The department bought 2 Impalas and I got one of them. After driving it for 6 months I actually prefer it to the Ford. It handles better, turns quicker, and is not too far behind in acceleration. It gets great gas mileage but the top end is not as high as the Fords. These 2 were for evaluation as to purchase chevys in the future. I'm wondering about the long term and how well they will hold up. Any one had one for any amount of time?
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 2:14:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Um, are you talking about the new Impala  based on the Opel?  The one with the v6 engine and front wheel drive?  Man what a setup.  Front wheel drive yuck!  I prefer big V8 cruisers with rear wheel drive.  If you're talking about the 1994 to 1996 Impalas based on the Caprice, now that's another story.  But you did say, "just got" and "great mileage."  Oh well.
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 2:34:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Impalas, like em but I miss the Caprices
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 4:17:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I am on my second Impala. My first one was a 2000, and had 40,000 miles on it. It got totaled after hitting bambi. I had absolutely no problems with that car.

My new one is a 2001, with a little over 4,000 miles. I have not had any problems with it like the previous one. It gets decent gas mileage, accelerates well, corners better, and brakes the best.

I also drive an unmarked 2001 CV for a special unit I'm in. I like that car too, both are very good.

So, after 44,000 miles behind the wheel of 2 impalas, I like them, a lot. They have held up well, no major problems. I make sure it gets regular maintenence. I take it home 24/7, so I clean it once a week.

The car handles an electrical load very well. I have a laptop, camera, lo jack, moving radar, and a printer hooked up in the car. With all of that plus a light bar, no problems.

The only thing I don't like about the Impala is the front bumper. It is too low, with that shroud attached. I scrap everything with it.

Overall a really decent car, good enough for my patrol needs
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 4:24:29 PM EDT
[#4]
DUI Hunter,
I know what you mean about scraping the front end. It's the air dam that scrapes, at least 3-5 times a shift. When I first got it I thought I was leaving the front end on the road.

50cali,
I would love to have the 94-96 Impala. I think they are worth more now than when they were new. Opel??
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 4:26:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Impala's? They suck pretty bad. They keep bottoming out on pothole ladden city roads. I'll take a Ford Crown Vic thank you. For some strange reason the headlights and interior lights in every sector car I've been in "flicker". Any other NYPD members experience this?
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 4:31:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Haven't driven an Impala, those that have seem to like it. Impala's, to me, seem better suite for urban/suburban patrol. Open highway seems better handled with RWD.

The CV's have too much weight, are too long before and after the wheels and could use some more rear seat room. The handle predictably and stop very nicely. Supposedly the near future version will have more ponies..........

Chrysler will have a FWD police car coming out soon, Intrepid? Looks nice, roomy cabin and something like 224 hp.

Would like to get to drive a Volvo police package car, 5 cyl turbo, AWD............
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 4:35:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 4:43:01 PM EDT
[#8]
'98 and '99's had traction control, we had traction contol disable buttons mounted in the glove compartment....... Traction control worked at any speed, and could apply the rear brakes during wheel slip and if the wheel slip continued it would cut off fuel to the engine.

Prior to that starting in '92 (?) if you ordered ABS you also got "traction assist". It was different than traction control. It only worked under 35mph and could only apply the rear brakes during wheelspin.

'00 CV's have limited slip differentials and 3.73 gears, prior years had 3.55 gears. '01 CV's have limited slips with 3.55 gearing. Limited slip is great if you know how to use it.....
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 4:47:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

50cali,
I would love to have the 94-96 Impala. I think they are worth more now than when they were new. Opel??
View Quote

You're absolutely right on that one.  I've been in the market for one of the 1996 Impalas since they first came out.  The mark up was high on them back then.  Only now, around 60,00 plus miles later, are these cars approaching the original MSRP where I live.  Oh, General Motors bought Opel, some European car company a few years back.  You can see the brand listed on their website along with the other acquisitions.  Hence the V6 front wheel drive platform and euro styling.  Who knows why they couldn't find a suitable American car to base their cruisers on.
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 4:54:21 PM EDT
[#10]
We run Crown Vics and they are o.k. but ain't great. I don't like nor want a front wheel drive Impala.

I say: Chevy, BRING BACK THE FULL SIZE CAPRICE !!  A true patrol car..
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 4:55:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 5:00:29 PM EDT
[#12]
3.73's also cut down the top end...........

The '01's go faster, quicker because they are appx 235 hp vs 215 hp of prior years. Rumor has it that 260 hp will happen in the near future.
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 5:20:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 10:13:04 PM EDT
[#14]
I guess I've got the best of both worlds. 2 days a week I take my marked Impala. The other 2 I take my unmarked CV....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top