Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/5/2007 9:00:58 PM EDT
Hey all. I am a MP in the Army PCSing to Arizonia from Germany next week. I dont want to put my concealable vest in my checked bag, cause I dont know that the bag will make all the flights. Is there going to be a problem with me putting my IIIA vest in my carry on? I mean, Ill already have 2 weapon sights in my carry on and a few M4 mags in my checked bag. Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 9:11:54 PM EDT
[#1]
AFAIK it's not on the prohibited list.

(Just an air traveler)
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 9:12:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 9:17:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Good shit. Thank ya guys. Always loved the 5 minute responses on ARFCOM.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 9:21:48 PM EDT
[#4]
GO EARLY.....JUST IN CASE the TSA guys decide that you CAN'T take your armor on the plane....It will give you a chance to go back to the ticket counter, track down your luggage, and pack it in there....

You JUST NEVER KNOW.....

BTW, where are you flying out of?  Phoenix, or Tucson???  Phoenix will be "MORE" of a cluster, in my opinion!!!
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 9:24:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Im flying from Nuremburg, GE, to Frankfurt, GE, to Texas, denver, then tuscon. Gotta love SATO tickets.
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 4:06:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Not all of the TSA folks are up on the regs. I would print out the prohibited item brochure on the link provided a few posts above and bring it with you. I might aide you in case a TSA agent is on the fence as to yes or no.
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 4:08:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 4:27:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Ive taken the sights more than once before. So I know they are kosher. After all, they aren't gun sights, they are merely optical observation devices.

The body armor I think Im gonna stick in the checked bag after all...Im just really worried about it. I guess i could mail it home, and have my mom mail it to me in AZ. (Overnight if she has to.)
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 4:40:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 5:12:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Wear it.
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 6:42:57 AM EDT
[#11]
I've taken NVG's on a flght  out of Miami airport before, the TSA screener was not happy about it at all. I think the only reason I made it thru was because she was dumber than a rock and did not know what NVG's were for.

Seriously, tell her  your vest is for paintball.
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 1:34:50 PM EDT
[#12]
I'd be shocked if you encountered one who even knew what it was.
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 3:34:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 4:12:22 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I've taken NVG's on a flght  out of Miami airport before, the TSA screener was not happy about it at all. I think the only reason I made it thru was because she was dumber than a rock and did not know what NVG's were for.

Just what was the tsa idiot worried about?  That your steely night gaze might shoot down the plane?
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 6:40:53 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just what was the tsa idiot worried about?  That your steely night gaze might shoot down the plane?

You have to understand the mindset.  It's something she did not understand.  Therefore it's a threat. ESPECIALLY when carried by a hulking tall white guy with a "High and tight" haircut.
Link Posted: 12/7/2007 10:07:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Tell them it's a back brace.  
Link Posted: 12/7/2007 6:03:12 PM EDT
[#17]
I don't know about international flights.  We were "detained" in Amman, Jordan for flying with body armor, kevlar, etc... on a civilian flight.
Link Posted: 12/7/2007 11:43:18 PM EDT
[#18]
The thing with German security is they are the polar opposite of the TSA. They are reasonable, and if you are flying on orders, make things easy. Bout the extent of my security check was them walking a bomb/drug dog around me and my luggage.
Link Posted: 12/8/2007 3:02:16 PM EDT
[#19]
When you deal with the TSA remember:
September 10th they were super-sizing your order.
Today they are in charge.
They have no arrest authority but they enforce whatever rule they feel like interpreting.
What ever you do, have a printed policy that allows you to do whatever you are trying to do.

I deal with the TSA weekly. Some airports they are great, others I just breath deep and think happy thoughts.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top